Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pot Roast Perogies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_179603.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	1243966

This recipe is a labor of love. I made a double batch for Christmas Eve and broke it out into three days (sauteed them at dinner time on Christmas Eve - you could make fewer/ make everything in two days...or one if you're a sadist or get up really early!

They were enjoyed by my entire family and friends that evening - enjoy!

The final picture is of a plate reheated in an air fryer a few days later. I'm really good at taking before pics, but not so great at taking pics as things come off the smoker!

pdf version below for printing

Ingredients:
    Pot Roast Filling
    ● Chuck Roast
    ● Mustard
    ● Onion powder
    ● Garlic powder
    ● Steak seasoning
    ● Smoked paprika
    ● 1 can cola (Pepsi or Dr. Pepper)
    ● ½ cup red wine
    ● Beef broth (about 2 cups, enough to cover roast halfway in crockpot after other liquids added)

Dough
    ● 2 large eggs
    ● ½ cup water
    ● ½ cup whole milk
    ● ¼ cup sour cream (full fat)
    ● 2 tsp Kosher salt
    ● 4 cups AP flour, divided plus more for surface rolling and for flouring pans
    ● 1 egg for construction

Sides
    ● Carrots
    ● Yellow potatoes
    ● 1 onion
    ● EVOO

Toppings
    ● Bacon (bacon bits, or cook 1 lb till crispy and cut up)
    ● 2-3 onions - sweated with EVOO and salt till soft and a bit golden
    ● Sour cream
    ● Cheddar cheese
    ● Gravy
    â—‹ 1 stick butter (½ cup)
    ○ ¾ cup flour
    â—‹ 4ish cups of drippings/liquid till preferred consistency

Other
    ● Hickory or blend pellets
    ● Large disposable pan
    ● 2 sticks butter, melted, for sauteing for each large pan of perogies.
    ● Upper rack for the smoker (optional but needed if finishing two pans at once)
    ● Rolling Pin
    ● Cutter/perogies maker (circle cookie cutter may be used with a fork to crimp). I like a 4.5 maker for
    bigger perogies (less overall work).
    ● Large pot for boiling
    ● Spider and tongs
    ● Sheet pans

Directions:

Day One (Pot roast and Veggies)
    1. Set pellet grill to 225 degrees. Use hickory or a combination blend of pellets.
    2. Cut carrots, potatoes, and one onion; place in a large metal pan. Coat with EVOO and onion/garlic and
    smoked paprika; stir thoroughly. Set aside.
    3. Cut chuck into large chunks (~3”), or leave whole. Chunks allow for more surface
    area/bark/deliciousness.
    4. Coat chuck with mustard.
    5. Evenly apply seasonings to all sides of the chuck.
    6. Place meat directly on smoker grate, inserting meat probe. Place vegetable pan on the upper rack.
    7. Stir vegetables every 2 hours.
    8. Smoke chuck until it stalls; about 165 degrees. This will take about 2-3 hours if cubed or 5-6 hours, depending on the roast.
    9. Place vegetables in crockpot, place chuck in the crockpot, and add wine, cola, and enough broth to bring
    the liquid to halfway up the roast. This step softens the bark and makes it more pot-roasty.
    10. Braise in crockpot on low until meat is shreddable. This will take an additional 1-2 or 3-4 hours,
    depending on roast size/chunks.
    11. When roast is shreddable (about 203 degrees), remove meat and shred on cutting board. Place meat in
    a sealed container and chill meat and vegetables in the fridge overnight.

Day Two (Pierogies)
    1. Make pierogi dough
    a. Whisk eggs, water, milk, sour cream, and salt in a large bowl.
    b. Add 3 ¾ cup flour and mix with a spoon until shaggy ball forms.
    c. Knead in a bowl with hands until dough sticks together.
    d. Turn out dough onto a floured work surface and continue to knead, adding flour as needed until smooth and supple.
    e. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 1-2 hours.
    2. Place bacon in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until crispy.
    a. Cut into small pieces and refrigerate until ready to use
    3. Make gravy
    a. Melt a stick of butter in a pan, add ¾ flour and whisk; cook over med heat until rough brown.
    b. Add 3-4 cups cooking liquid; bring to boil. Add liquid as necessary to desired consistency.
    4. Warm shredded meat till able to stir; add enough gravy to cover the meat lightly.
    5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, leave covered, and shut it off when at a boil.
    6. Carmelize onions
    a. Slice onions
    b. Place in pan with EVOO and salt
    c. Cook over medium heat until transparent and caramelized.
    d. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
    7. Break and mix one egg in a bowl for construction
    8. Make perogies
    a. Take out the dough and let warm for 10 mins; cut dough into quarters.
    b. Dust flour on the surface.
    c. Take out one quarter, recover remaining dough in bowl, and roll out till â…› inch thickness
    d. Punch out circles.
    e. Take one circle, coat edge of dough round with egg, place ~ 1-2 Tablespoons (depending on circle size) on one side of the dough. Fold dough over to cover and pinch close to form a
    semi-circle, using a fork to make crimps if not using a pierogi maker.
    f. Coat in flour and place on flour-dusted pan.
    g. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
    9. Boil Perogies
    a. Melt one stick of butter and evenly coat the bottom of a large pan.
    b. Bring a large pot of water to a boil
    c. Place 6 perogies on the spider and drop into the water and boil for 3 mins.
    d. Remove perogies and place in a large pan with spider and place in a large pan, covering each
    pierogi thoroughly in butter.
    e. Repeat until all boiled.
    f. Melt the second stick of butter and drizzle over perogies, ensuring all perogies are covered.

**Perogies in the pan can be covered and held for two days or sauteed immediately on the smoker (or oven).**

Day Three/After boiling
    1. Warm potatoes and carrots in the crockpot about 3 hours before serving perogies.
    2. Set smoker to 400 degrees.
    3. Warm onions/bacon if needed
    4. Remove foil from the pan and place it on the smoker grate.
    a. If using two pans, set the second pan on the upper rack.
    5. At ten minutes, flip perogies with tongs
    a. If using two pans, rotate pans
    6. At 20 mins, check for evidence of crispy, golden brown, and deliciousness (GBD).
    a. If using two pans, the pan that started on top and then moved to the bottom will be done first; remove the bottom pan, flip and place the top pan back on the bottom rack.
    b. Check again in 5 mins for GBD
    7. Serve perogies with gravy, caramelized onions, bacon, and cheddar cheese, along with vegetables.

*Using a 4.5-inch, large press, about 30 perogies were made from dough.
    Last edited by SmokinRosie; June 28, 2022, 01:52 PM.

Never heard of these until one episode of Corner Gas.

Comment

• SmokinRosie
      SmokinRosie commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to look for this!

Wow, that is a labor of love. Very impressive for just your 5th post. I’ll have to sit down and digest this recipe. Thanks for posting .

Comment

They sound delicious

Comment

The recipe does sound fantastic!

The recipe is so detailed you must be an engineer.

Comment

• SmokinRosie
          SmokinRosie commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, thanks. Just a type A

The recipe sounds amazing - I wish I could see the picture, but it’s not showing up for me.

Comment

• big_mack
          big_mack commented
          Editing a comment
          same. would love to see them but TBH finished perogies all look the same regardless of how good the filling is. I would much prefer to eat some.

• SmokinRosie
          SmokinRosie commented
          Editing a comment
          reposted the pic

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          SmokinRosie thanks! Those look delicious!

that is a labor of love indeed. Its a good thing its cooked over 3 days. If you tried to cook it in one day you would run out of numeric-alphas for all the steps.

Comment

• SmokinRosie
          SmokinRosie commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, yeah day two was a long one! Not going to lie!

Have to show this to my wife, she talks about a thing called a pierogi, is that the same?
        She also eats a thing called a Tasty Cake……I prefer Suzie Q’s 😂

Comment

• SmokinRosie
          SmokinRosie commented
          Editing a comment
          Peroigi is simply a filled dumpling; commonly they are filled with mashed potatoes.
          A local restaurant has these for an appetizer, but they were closed last fall when we normally go. I made them in part for my husband.
          I like Suzie Q's too! LOL
          Last edited by SmokinRosie; June 28, 2022, 01:49 PM.

Oh my! Total Goodness! Thanks for sharing, this is guaranteed special!

Comment

SmokinRosie Can you re-upload the pic? It is not showing up.

Comment

Your right--a labor of love. I'll never make these, but will dream of sampling them some day.

Comment

Those sound amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Comment

Just, wow! Labor of love indeed.

Comment

Gotta give these a go! Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

Comment

I thought this was describing an action you did as a teenager, and THEN you were so hungry you were telling us about a recipe for roast perogies.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here