Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore Pit Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baltimore Pit Beef

Baltimore Pit Beef (thinly sliced beef on Kaiser/Brioche/burger bun topped with a horseradish sauce)
    Based on a recipe by Jim Shahin published in the Washington Post on 19 June 2013. ( Parenthetical gratuitous comments are based on multiple performances of this recipe.)
    MEAT: 3 pound beef eye round roast – serves at least six at one sitting
    RUB:
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    ½ tsp chili powder

PREP TIMES:
    PRE-COOK = 10 minutes to combine rub ingredients and to rub all over beef; 4 hrs (or up to overnight) of rubbed beef sitting in fridge.
    COOK = 10 to 20 minutes of searing ALL sides and ends over direct heat THEN another 30-45 minutes of indirect with lid closed. (I have learned the hard way that the "COOK" usually takes closer to an hour and ten minutes (20 plus 45 plus a cushion) than to forty minutes (10 plus 30).)

STEPS:
    1. After combining rub ingredients and rubbing all over the roast (including the ends), tightly wrap roast in plastic wrap (or put in plastic bag that can be pulled tightly around meat) THEN put in fridge for at least 4 hours but not longer than overnight.
    2. About 1 and ½ hours before you want to eat, light the grill (charcoal uses about ¾ of a chimney’s worth).
    3. When the coals are ready (light ash all over), bank them on one side of kettle then clean and oil grill THEN sear all sides and the ends.
    4. THEN move to cool side for the last 30-45 minutes of cooking (with bigger roast end facing coals) and close lid. (About 30 minutes in the closed kettle, my thermometer indicated that internal temp "stalled" at about 105F, and it took another 10 minutes for it to run up to 115-120 and THAT happened in about minutes 8 through 10, SO WATCH IT because it’ll heat up rapidly after the stall, and you want to take it off the grill when internal temp hits about 125F for medium rare. AND if you want medium, be careful not to exceed 130F or you’ll get tough meat.)
    5. Let rest 5 minutes with loose foil tenting THEN slice as thinly as practical. (When we are having this and after I put the rubbed meat in the fridge, I always sharpen the knife I’ll use that evening.)

For the horseradish sauce, we use mayo, a little lemon juice, and horseradish from a newly opened jar.

We ate ours with home made lettuce soup and potato chips accompanied by Cynar Manhattans.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1224927 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1224925 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1224926 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1224924

Now that’s a great way of cooking and serving eye of round!!

Comment

I just bought an eye of round roast about that size to make pastrami out of. Hmmmm, I might re-think that decision. Thanks for the great post and recipe !!!

Comment

Baltimore Pit Beef with Tiger Sauce is the jam! Great job!

Comment

Great recipe. If you don't want to cook check this place out. Best pit beef in Baltimore IMHO.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Belfagor
            Belfagor commented
            Editing a comment
            Favorite spot in Baltimore

I’m readin the tome you put together & it’s sounds good, good ingredients & how to & technique, then BAM! you hit us with a scrumptious cook. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
            Baltimore Pit Beef (thinly sliced beef on Kaiser/Brioche/burger bun topped with a horseradish sauce)
            Based on a recipe by Jim Shahin published in the Washington Post on 19 June 2013. ( Parenthetical gratuitous comments are based on multiple performances of this recipe.)
            MEAT: 3 pound beef eye round roast – serves at least six at one sitting
            RUB:
            1 tsp Kosher salt
            1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
            ½ tsp garlic powder
            ½ tsp chili powder

PREP TIMES:
            PRE-COOK = 10 minutes to combine rub ingredients and to rub all over beef; 4 hrs (or up to overnight) of rubbed beef sitting in fridge.
            COOK = 10 to 20 minutes of searing ALL sides and ends over direct heat THEN another 30-45 minutes of indirect with lid closed. (I have learned the hard way that the "COOK" usually takes closer to an hour and ten minutes (20 plus 45 plus a cushion) than to forty minutes (10 plus 30).)

STEPS:
            1. After combining rub ingredients and rubbing all over the roast (including the ends), tightly wrap roast in plastic wrap (or put in plastic bag that can be pulled tightly around meat) THEN put in fridge for at least 4 hours but not longer than overnight.
            2. About 1 and ½ hours before you want to eat, light the grill (charcoal uses about ¾ of a chimney’s worth).
            3. When the coals are ready (light ash all over), bank them on one side of kettle then clean and oil grill THEN sear all sides and the ends.
            4. THEN move to cool side for the last 30-45 minutes of cooking (with bigger roast end facing coals) and close lid. (About 30 minutes in the closed kettle, my thermometer indicated that internal temp "stalled" at about 105F, and it took another 10 minutes for it to run up to 115-120 and THAT happened in about minutes 8 through 10, SO WATCH IT because it’ll heat up rapidly after the stall, and you want to take it off the grill when internal temp hits about 125F for medium rare. AND if you want medium, be careful not to exceed 130F or you’ll get tough meat.)
            5. Let rest 5 minutes with loose foil tenting THEN slice as thinly as practical. (When we are having this and after I put the rubbed meat in the fridge, I always sharpen the knife I’ll use that evening.)

For the horseradish sauce, we use mayo, a little lemon juice, and horseradish from a newly opened jar.

We ate ours with home made lettuce soup and potato chips accompanied by Cynar Manhattans.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1224927 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1224925 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1224926 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1224924
            I

Thanks for posting! Must do this very soon!
            Do you folks ever add any wood to the grill to add some smoke? Also, anyone kick up the heat in the tiger sauce with a touch of chipotle or cayenne?
            JD

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Pit beef is cooked over wood. Note the wood pile in Sdell ‘s photo above.

• Belfagor
              Belfagor commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes to cayenne in tiger sauce

Originally posted by jjdbike View Post
            I

Thanks for posting! Must do this very soon!
            Do you folks ever add any wood to the grill to add some smoke? Also, anyone kick up the heat in the tiger sauce with a touch of chipotle or cayenne?
            JD
            P.S., How do you accommodate those strange folks with unfortunate taste buds who want the meat more done? Do you cut a chunk, or a handful of slices and toss the slices back on the grill?
            JD

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Slice your perfectly cooked piece of meat and then throw those heathens’ slices back on the grill.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              My solution, when doing prime rib and other cuts that are best served medium rare, is to keep a hot cast iron skillet on the stove, and I'll toss folks slices in there if they want it more done. Same could probably work for this.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              I just say "You know were the microwave is, your on our own."

Looks great. Thanks for this!

Comment

Really nice....

Comment

You're taking me back to my college days in Maryland in the early sixties.

Well done, your presentation, that is, not the meat. It looks perfect.
                Last edited by gcdmd; August 25, 2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Nice! Thank you , will do this for sure instead of a boring roast

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here