Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked meatballs with Middle Eastern flavors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked meatballs with Middle Eastern flavors

I said in a previous post that I was gonna get back to you with a recipe, and my mother taught me not to lie , so here we go.

The meatballs are done in the offset smoker (of course), and I cook the tomato sauce separate from the meatballs. I want maximum bark on the meatballs first. At the very end the two shall meet, and then I add some grated parmesan cheese for that loving touch.

I wanted to give these a slightly different flavor and I've been inspired by a chicken dish traditionally made in Israel called "Maklube". It contains cardamom and cinnamon, and I decided to use that in this recipe. It works very well

The meatballs are made extra juicy by first mixing cream with breadcrumbs to let the breadcrumbs soak up some of the cream. This mix is then added to the ground beef.

Serves: 4
    Cook time: 45 minutes
    Smoker temp: 120° C / 250° F

Ingredients
    • 2.2 lb ground beef
    • 7 tbsp cooking cream
    • 1 tbsp bread crumbs
    • 2 tsp cardamom
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 2 tbsp Good quality pork rub
    • 1 can crushed tomatoes (400 grams)
    • 3 oz grated parmesan cheese (or any other full flavored cheese)

Instructions
    • Mix the cream with the bread crumbs in a small bowl and leave it for 5-10 minutes to let the bread crumbs soak.
    • Put the rest of the ingredients (minus the tomatoes, cheese and bbq rub) in a bowl and blend well with your hands. Add the bread crumb and cream mix also.
    • Shape the ground beef to 8 meat balls. They should be slightly bigger in size, 2-3 inches in diameter.
    • Place the meatballs on a flat tray and sprinkle the bbq rub evenly on all sides. Lower edges is good => more smoke for the meatballs.
    • Cook the tomatoes separately from the meatballs at first. At the end of the cook we add them all together.
    • Place a few wood chunks on the glowing embers for smoke flavor, and place the tray with meatballs on the indirect side. Put the lid on and smoke the meatballs for 30 minutes. In the meantime, pour the tomatoes in a pan with 2" sides that will fit the meatballs. Place this on the grill also.
    • When 30 minutes have passed it is time to move the meatballs from the tray and into the tomato sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top and smoke it for another 10 minutes. The meatballs should reach 56° C / 133° F internal temperature.

Meatballs, ready for the smoker. Tomato sauce on the side

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked_meatballs_raw.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1208060

Action shot

Name:	smoked_meatballs_smoker.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1208061

And here's the dish that I put on the table

Name:	smoked_meatballs.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1208059

Henrik What meat to fat ratio for the ground beef do you suggest?

Also, 133* F for the IT? Shouldn't ground meats be cooked to 160?
    Last edited by Rod; April 16, 2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Bkhuna I'm definitely not going to grind my own and don't know where I can get it confidence it was processed safely. Henrik Used "off the shelf store bought". So 160 it shall be.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod Do you have a food processor? Voilà, you can grind your own beef. Just stay away from those big chubs of pre-ground meat and you'll be okay. Go with your preference.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Bkhuna I have a Kitchen Aid with a grinding attachment. Just too much work.

That looks really good. I've lightly smoked meatballs before but I haven't done the sauce on the smoker.

Comment

That looks great, definitely going onto the list to do. I have a nice bottle of harissa so I may try adding it. Thaks.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Harissa is always a nice addition!

That looks great.

Comment

I'm feeling the love from this recipe. I'm thinking I would like to try it with ground lamb! Thanks Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! That sounds like a winner!

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          efincoop Thanks for the lamb idea. Just happen to have some ground lamb that needs usin'

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          58limited I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

What a great idea, Middle Eastern meatballs! Also, the heavy Pitmaster touch of maximum bark on the MBs! Bravissimo!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks my man!

Was that paired with Middle Eastern flavored Beer?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I drank a Swedish beer. I have heard of one or two really good breweries in Jerusalem, haven’t tried it myself unfortunately.

Made them last night. Incredible flavor! Definitely a lot of umami. A few things though:

1. They were a little dry. I took them to an IT of 155-160 as I used store bought GB and wanted to be safe. Is that why they were a little dry?

2. I used half and half instead of cooking cream. Couldn't find it. A quick Google search seemed to result in it being a European thing. Could that have contributed to the dryness?

3. I didn't put the dish with the crushed tomatoes on for 30 minutes as I wasn't sure when to do it because I was targeting a hire IT and didn't want it to reduce down too much. So when I put the meatballs in it, it really cooled them down. The cheese took forever to melt because of this. Even then it didn't get super melty.

4. Used already grated cheese. Will grate my own the next time.

Again, super yum. I just need to make some tweaks to maintain some moisture.

Name:	PXL_20220417_041021721.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1208594

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! Real glad you tried it! So, some feedback on your questions:
          1. That internal temp is too high in my opinion -> main reason for "dryness"
          2. Yes, cook the sauce from the start, there is very little reduction going on.
          3. Cooking cream is also called double cream (in the UK), the main difference is that the cream I use has 36% fat, while the (single) cream is less fat. So, if you used cream with lower fat than 36% then yes, it may have contributed a little bit to the dryness.

• Wedunne
          Wedunne commented
          Editing a comment
          I knew some Brits who used heavy whipping cream as a substitute for double cream in their Irish coffee. Could it be about the same thing?

Nice cook! With the Middle Eastern touch are these to be referred to as "Swede-ish Meatballs"? (someone had to do it...)

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Now we know who that someone is.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha! Thanks for being that someone :-)

Gotta finish the elk ribs I cooked then maybe I'll make these meatballs next - with lamb. Maybe serve on orzo (or a curry risotto), maybe pair it with a tagine of some sort. Ideas, ideas...

Comment

These look fantastic….. I did not see this post until just now.

Ironically: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...A6#post1208761
          Last edited by SheilaAnn; April 17, 2022, 01:20 PM. Reason: Messed up the link

Comment

Very nice, Hank. Goes on the list. Wonder what good quality pork rub I should use??? Maybe

Name:	HanksKCRoyaleRubJar.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1208789

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers I used MMD.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I used 😎

Nice work Hank. I’m loving meatballs lately as well !!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Makes me think of an old AC/DC song.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              My meatballs are always bouncing to the left and to the right,
              I think that my meatballs should be served every night.

I like Meatballs
              I like Meatballs...

Yeah, been drinkin'

Finally got around to making these today. I used ground lamb and made the meatballs using Henrik 's recipe. I used my meatball tagine recipe (recipe #3: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...tagine-recipes ) for the sauce and made a curry risotto as well. The only problem is that I pulled some stock out of the freezer, one unlabeled pint that I thought was chicken stock ended up being some drippings that were very salty and it ruined the risotto Otherwise the meatballs were good, I'll probably add some diced onions next time.

Smoked on the KBQ using oak and crepe myrtle

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb_balls1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	1214536

The tagine was the Inaugural cook on the OKJ Bronco

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb_balls2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	1214537

Plated with the risotto. Good but too salty so I threw out the rest of the risotto. I sprinkled some Pecorino cheese on it after taking the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb_balls3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	1214535

Lesson learned: Label Everything!!!
            Last edited by 58limited; April 30, 2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              "Lesson learned…". Been there done that! What was salvaged looks mighty good, though.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great! I love that tagine pot, thanks for trying out the recipe! Yes, diced onions is always a nice addition to meatballs.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              I have 4 tagine pots and I don't use them as much as I should. They are great for low and slow cooking.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here