Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leftover Prime Rib Hash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftover Prime Rib Hash

To me, roast beast hash is the ultimate leftover meal for prime rib. Pretty standard recipe:

Course: Breakfast, lunch or dinner

Cuisine: American, heck yeah!!

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 large russet baking potatoes or 1 1/2 lbs, cubed bite sized
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced (and/or a diced poblano or 2 if you have some)
    4 - 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
    2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    Whatever leftover roast beef ya got (about a pound in this case), cubed.
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
    Seasonings to taste. I used Goya's adobo (plenty of salt in that), black pepper and smoked cayenne. A little Tony C's would be nice as well. If it's good enough for Aztec Spanish cuisine it's good enough for me!

Method:

Cube potatoes then soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
    Mise en place the onion, pepper, mushrooms, beef, cheese and garlic and set aside.

Drain and rinse the potatoes, lay out on a kitchen towel and pat dry. In a large, preferably cast iron skillet, heat 2 - 3 Tbsps of cooking oil of choice over medium high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes and fry, turning occasionally until they start to brown, 15 minutes or so. Add the onions, mushrooms and peppers, mix well with the potatoes and continue to fry and stir until just softened, 5 - 7 minutes. Add garlic, mix well and cook for another minute. Add beef, season to taste, mix well and cook until desired doneness (I prefer it just as the pink is disappearing). Remove from heat and serve immediately, or add cheese and cover for 2 - 3 minutes before serving.

We enjoy topping with a fried egg or 2, a side of sour cream and a dash or 2 of hot sauce.

Option: Toss the onion in 2 - 3 minutes before the rest of the vegetables and give them a head start. This gives a little time for them to caramelize a bit which adds a nice flavor profile. Just be careful not to burn them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hash.2.jpg Views:	11 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1145392

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hash.4.jpg Views:	10 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1145393
    Last edited by CaptainMike; December 21, 2021, 12:25 PM.

Good timing! I just happen to have some prime rib leftover. Looks awesome!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought you might!

Looks like something I'd be happy to sample CaptainMike !

Comment

I grew up with something similar but with a gravy base to it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast yesterday and today Collette put some leftover hash topped with some leftover gravy in a container for lunch.

Yum, Yum!

Comment

Looks awesome! And hash reheats pretty well too, so you can have leftover leftovers!

I really like using the JKLA trick of microwaving the cubed potatoes for several minutes instead of boiling them. Makes it a lot quicker to throw together.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed, I had some for breakfast this morning.

I considered par boiling the potatoes but felt I was a little short on time. Chef Mic sounds like a good alternative, thanks for the hot tip.

Nice- Thanks Captain!

Comment

The great state of Jefferson, is that south of Oregon or north of California?

Good looking Hash, do you deliver?
          If you bring it over, I will spring for the PBR.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a little of both.

Now I know what I am going to do with the left overs after my NYE prime rib cook!

Comment

We do something like this but call it Hunter Hash, we hunt thru the fridge looking for enough to fill the frying pan.
            Great with leftover steak too, if there is any.
            Will bake a few more potato's if I plan to do this dish, cube them up and brown them.
            Kinda speeds things up when cooking.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, pretty much any protein works. Pulled pork or smoked brisket are excellent.

I do a riff on Meathead's recipe from the free side. The addition of the thyme and stock makes a world of difference in my humble opinion. It is excellent with pretty much any leftover meat, but I have to say it is best with pastrami.

Corned beef hash is a perfect way to use leftover corned beef after St. Patrick's Day has come and gone. Cooking chopped corned beef along with potatoes, onion, and other select ingredients results in a dish that puts all other corned beef hash to shame. Top it with an egg or other ingredients for your own twist.
            Last edited by Joey877; December 21, 2021, 07:29 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              That's funny, I looked at the thyme when I was in the pantry and considered using it. I'm doing a repeat on Boxing Day so I will add a dash or two. Perhaps a splash of beef stock as well. Great suggestions, thanks.

I for sure will have left over rib roast on Sunday. So…..this just may be what is on tap for brunch! THanks for posting a great idea!

Comment

Isn't this the second time I've liked this? Or am I seeing double? I can't believe we're already at left offers, I'm still trying to get my act together for the main event.

Regardless, good recipe and nice write-up Mike. It goes into Paprika.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                You are indeed seeing double. I had some nice comments on SUWYC so I decided to edit it and post on the recipe channel. I'm sure it could still use a little more work, but it's hash, for criminiy sakes! Thanks for the kind words, there's nothing like praise from the praiseworthy.

Yup, ya done good Cap’n.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Sir!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here