Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Style Pinto Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Style Pinto Beans

I recently posted a picture of a pot of beans I made, and had a couple of requests for the recipe. Santamarina Mr. Bones I’ve been making my pintos this way for many years and never had a name for it, so I decided to just call it Texas Style….mainly because it has chili powder, jalapeños and cumin in it. Sometimes when I make them I’ll do slight variations involving ingredients, but this recipe is how I made them yesterday. I recently discovered a new (to me) type of bean I’ve never had before, Cranberry Beans. These are also an excellent substitute for Pintos if you haven’t tried them before.

Several months ago I started using Tasso in my beans and that really brought it to another level. If you’re not familiar with Tasso, it’s a smoked, spiced and cured fatty meat from the hogs shoulder. I buy Savoie’s brand found in some of my local grocery stores. Probably not available in a lot of states, unless bought online. Smoked ham, brisket, sausage or hamburger meat is also good in these beans. I had recently smoked a ham and used some of the leftovers for this cook shown below. Feel free to vary the amounts I’ve listed, according to your tastes.

INGREDIENTS:

(1) 1lb. bag of dried pinto beans
    12 oz. or so of smoked ham
    1 can of Rotel tomatoes & green Chili’s
    1 large yellow onion
    1-2 fresh jalapeño peppers
    1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic (I use mine from the jar)
    1 each of chicken and beef bouillon cubes
    2-3 tablespoons of chili powder
    2 tablespoons of cumin
    1 tablespoon of paprika (adds color and a subtle flavor)

DIRECTIONS:

I usually do the 2 minute quick boil method to get my beans ready to cook, or you can soak them overnight. I normally have enough water in the pot to cover the beans about 3 inches. I also do not drain the water after doing my quick boil method, I use it in the recipe. Cut up the onion, jalapeño and ham and add all ingredients to the pot. Simmer partially covered for 2-3 hours or until the beans are tender. These are my favorite way to do pintos, very good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	7ED1A99E-80F6-40CB-B6E3-3FDF571A8A32.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1137615

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A8A17F9-B9D1-4ADC-BB6B-EC0AFFBBFD3B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	1137616

HERE’S A POT OF BRISKET BEANS I MADE RECENTLY

Click image for larger version  Name:	71504356-2BF1-431A-9613-66628B1BC784.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	1137619

PACKAGE OF SAVOIE’S TASSO

Click image for larger version  Name:	31251555-4B16-43FD-9317-95C6C5505C86.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	1137624
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 5, 2021, 06:11 PM.

We call those Ranch Beans out here. Those look pretty dang good, too!!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike. I wanted to title it…..something. Didn’t wanna just say..Pinto Beans. Calling them Ranch beans would have worked better probably. 🤷‍♂️

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with calling them Texas Style Pintos. They are in fact made in Texas by a genuine Texan, can't argue with that!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Very similar to what I call Texas Beans

Thanks John, looks good.

For those who can't find Tasso and don't want to mail order it, Anton32828 posted a good wet cure recipe that I have made twice. Tasso is very salty and spicy. Think of it as a seasoning, not something you eat by itself: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...n-seasoned-ham
    Last edited by 58limited; December 5, 2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly David, tasso is pretty rich and isn’t meant to be eaten alone, but added to dishes.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I've made that Tasso recipe several times and highly recommend it. However, I'll say that I ended up eating most of the Tasso on sandwiches, almost like super spicy pork pastrami...

Nice write-up, and a good looking pot of beans. Thanks, Panhead John! I've got about a pound of pork butt from Thanksgiving that will go in the beans, tomorrow.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dick Anderson ! Yeah, I forgot to mention pork butt. That should work just as well. Really, any meat you like should work well with these beans. Post some pics if you can, I’d like to know how it turns out for you.

Yum! Those sound and look great.

Comment

Thank you! Can’t wait to make a pot!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta tell ya something too….man, when I added leftover brisket to a pot recently, Oh Yeah! Better than the ham.

Looks good John. This is how Texans get their chili bean fix.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        You caught on didn’t ya? This way, us Texans can have "chili" with beans and not be ridiculed from other Texans. 😂

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John - Must be the canned tomato product that makes it "Texan". 🙄

Those look good enough to pair with corn pone.

Comment

I use brisket trim ground up, ancho chili powder, all beef stock and ad a couple of bay leaves and black pepper to mine. Pretty much the same everywhere else. Call them...pintos...catchy ain't it?

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm…sounds like chile 😂

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Red Man keep yappin', I'm reloadin'

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          You tell him texastweeter !

I’ve got a bag of Rancho Gordo pinquitos and a bag of cubed up smoked brisket. This looks like a great recipe to use for those! Nice write-up. God, that was hard to type…

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll bet! 😂😂😂……Forgot to ask, but, have you been working out?

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Pilates. In my new Xmas Lulumons.

Daggone good! Perfect for a much-needed rainy evening. Just the "Ranch-Style" bean recipe i have been trying to achieve. Thanks, @PanheadJohn! Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas Pinto Beans.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1138372

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re quite welcome, thanks! So glad you liked em.

As Kent Rollins would say, Rotel tomatoes not to be confused with Rotella Motor Oil.
        Been sittin her with a stache of beans. Give me sumthin to do bein it’s 7 F out this morning. Looks great, thanks fer the recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here