Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your baked bean recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your baked bean recipe

I've gotten bored with my baked bean recipe. There aren't any in the forum recipe section so I am asking for your help.

Would you mind sharing your favorite baked bean recipe, please?

Clark,
    There are tons of them on the free side of the site! Check it out!

Comment

I'll post my mom's Boston Baked bean recipe later when I get home. It's a family recipe, she was raised 30 miles from Boston.

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
        Whiskeyman53 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had the famous baked beans from the Union Oyster House in Boston many times but failed at duplicating them. Looking forward to seeing your mom's recipe.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never had those and really never had any Boston Baked Beans other than mom's so I don;t know how they would compare. It is a pretty simple recipe, nearly identical to recipes I've googled. I'll post it below now that I'm home.

Clark What’s a quick rundown of the one you’re tired of? That way we don’t send the same thing to you.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 14, 2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel like a guy like you would have a good baked bean recipe.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have a pretty good one. I also think there’s a hidden meaning to your comment John. 😂

I don't like my beans sweet so I use this Bon Appetit recipe

Baked Beans with Slab Bacon & Breadcrumbs

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
      • 2 cups dried navy or cannellini beans, soaked overnight
      • 2 medium onions, 1 halved, 1 thinly sliced
      • 1 Parmesan rind (optional), plus ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
      • 1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 4 cloves, finely chopped, divided
      • 2 bay leaves
      • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
      • 8 ounces slab bacon, cut into 2”x¼” pieces
      • 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
      • 4 sprigs thyme plus 1 tablespoon leaves
      • Freshly ground black pepper
      • ¼ cup dry white wine
      • 1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs, coarsely torn
      • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:
      1. Drain beans and place in a large heavy pot along with halved onion, Parmesan rind (if using), halved head of garlic, bay leaves and 2 tsp salt. Add water to cover by 2”. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender, 1–1½ hours.
      1. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown and most of fat has rendered, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
      1. Add thinly sliced onion, shallot, thyme sprigs and ¾ of chopped garlic to pan drippings in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to caramelize and is very soft, 10–15 minutes. Add wine; bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost completely evaporated, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and pluck out thyme sprigs.
      1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Transfer beans to a large bowl and mix in bacon, onion mixture, thyme leaves, grated Parmesan and 1½â€“2 cups cooking liquid (this will be most of it; mixture should be consistency of stew); season with salt and pepper. Transfer beans to a shallow 1½qt baking dish.
      1. Mix breadcrumbs, oil and remaining chopped garlic in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Scatter over beans; bake until liquid is thickened and bubbling and crumbs are golden brown, 45–55 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
      Do Ahead: Beans can be baked 5 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bak...NDID=14610291& spMailingID=11702534&spUserID=NzUzOTA3NzIxNjAS1&sp JobID=463559652&spReportId=NDYzNTU5NjUyS0 2017

Comment

Baked Beans-(Sweet)
      2--28oz Bush’s Beans drained a little
      2--15oz Kidney Beans, usually 1 Light and 1 Dark-drain & rinse
      1—15oz Black Beans drain & rinse
      ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
      1 Cup Sweet BBQ Sauce OR Half BBQ Sauce & Half Maple Syrup
      1# Extra Lean Hamburger Browned with 1 Med Chopped Onion
      Bake at about 300* for 2 hrs or more

Clark, this is my go to recipe. Sorry it's not a "from scratch recipe" but it's simple and guests seem to like it. I often adjust a little depending on what we might have on hand.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Bush's Oh yeah.

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones change it up to your liking and report back with your savory results.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Wilco Skip

I make plenty 'Sugar Beans', fer other folks, but they just ain't traditional whereabouts I come from...

Hail, we'uns jus poor simple HillFolk, out here, more'n 1430 miles from Boston..

Comed to Muhzurrah by Way of Tennessee, an Ol Kaintuck, mostly..

Reckon we'uns never heared of th whole dang danged sugar thing, until quite late in life, despite it havin been a Tradition, back in ******land, mebbe even a Century, or more, afore.
        News travels purty danged slow, up in th hollers
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 14, 2021, 08:20 PM.

I usually buy Bush beans of choice and doctor them up with either cooked and chopped thick cut bacon of for something heartier, add well-browned ground beef. Seasonings I tend to use are brown sugar, molasses, onion powder, onion flakes, mustard powder and a family favorite, ground clove. The amount of clove is minimal as it can really overpower the flavor. Also, I don't use all of those ingredients but pick the ones I want at the time. I just mix all the ingredients, put in our bean pot covered, then place into a 250 degree oven to slow cook and bring the flavors together.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Call; I often make with th canned beans, unabashedly, as shown in my receipts, up in here...Great Time Saver!

Many Pros, I've subsequently learned, do likewise...STCG, BBQ Pitmasters, T-Roy, Kent Rollins, Malcolm, Cookin Wit AB, etc., usw...

This is my mom's Boston Baked Beans recipe. She was raised in Scituate, Mass. and I learned from her how to make this recipe, clam chowder, Yorkshire pudding, and such.

The recipe is written such that you do certain steps at certain times of the day so the beans will be ready for supper. This is traditionally served with brown bread (recipe below).

Boston Baked Beans

1 - 1lb bag small white beans (Navy or Great Northern are good)
      1 onion
      small chunk of salt pork
      2 tsp dry mustard
      molasses
      1/3 cup brown sugar
      Broth from boiling the beans

Cull the beans and rinse. Cover with water and soak over night in a large sauce pan. Early morning: bring beans to a boil and cook for one hour. Turn off and let sit until 11:00 - 11:30am.

Pre-heat oven to 325-350 degrees. Peel onion and quarter, but not all the way through. Place onion in bottom of bean pot. Add the beans and then only enough of the bean broth to cover them (save the rest of the broth). Add (sprinkle over the top) the dry mustard and the brown sugar. Pour a healthy dollop of molasses on top. Score the salt pork 1" deep and push it part way into the middle of the beans. Put the lid on the bean pot and place the bean pot in the oven. Cook until 5:00pm, checking every 45-60 minutes to see if you need to add more bean broth. Remove the lid and cook another 30 minutes until the salt pork is browned.

NOTE: Salt pork these days does not have much salt. You may wish to add 1 tsp. of salt when you boil the beans in the morning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bostonbeans1.JPG Views:	23 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	1060286
      Click image for larger version  Name:	bostonbeans2.JPG Views:	23 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	1060285
      Click image for larger version  Name:	bostonbeans3.JPG Views:	23 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	1060284

Boston Brown Bread

1 C corn meal
      1 C rye flour
      1 C graham flour
      3/4 tsp baking soda
      1 tsp salt
      3/4 C molasses
      2 C buttermilk or sour milk
      Optional: 1 C raisins

Sift corn meal, rye flour, soda, and salt together and mix well with graham flour. Add combined molasses and butter milk (or sour milk) and mix well. Fill greased molds 2/3 full, cover closely, and steam 3 hours. Remove covers and dry tops in moderate oven (375*). Makes three loaves.

I steamed the bread in a Chambers deepwell pot with the bread steamer insert. Here it is warming in the oven as the beans were finishing and on the plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bostonbeans4.JPG Views:	23 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	1060283
      Click image for larger version  Name:	bostonbeans5.JPG Views:	24 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	1060282
      Last edited by 58limited; July 14, 2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Draznnl Im not sure if it is restaurant quality or not. It is a really simple recipe and uses canned clams. I don't measure anything so if you are interested I might have to do a video of it to show how to make it. Or, it is very similar to the Cullen Skink recipe I posted a few weeks ago, just substitute clams: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sh-soup-recipe

I'll summarize below.
        Last edited by 58limited; July 15, 2021, 06:29 AM.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        First you cook the diced potatoes in the clam juice from the cans (saute the onions in butter first, then add the potatoes and clam juice). When the potatoes are done add milk and cream to taste, S&P, and the clams. Cook ten minutes. Thicken with a slurry of flour and water or I sometimes use the cream gravy mix you buy at the store. Mom always cooked fine diced salt pork, then sauteed the onions in the fat. Sprinkle the crisp salt pork on top to serve, and serve with oyster crackers on top too.
        Last edited by 58limited; July 15, 2021, 06:30 AM.

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited thank you. I'll have to give it a shot.

58limited Thanks for the recipe! You mention broth a couple of times in the cooking but there is not a broth listed in the ingredients. What kind of broth does it call for?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        What kind ya got th most of? That's th kind I use, unless it is a focus-specific receipt, fer a caterin event, or such...

ANYTHING is better than Dihydrogen Monoxide....

DHMO is a Medium which I sometimes might cook my foods in, but Never an ingredient I would Ever cook in my food...

There are jus way too many, much more tasteful alternatives to be had, as a liquid...

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Its the broth from boiling the beans. I'll correct it.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones
        LOL. I mostly agree with you, except that DHMO is an essential ingredient in my homemade chicken stock.

Here you go, takes a bit to make it but it is good.

Baked Bean Recipe

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
      1 red bell pepper, chopped
      1/2 onion, chopped
      2 cloves garlic, chopped
      2 (28-ounce) cans baked beans drain one can.
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      1/3 cup BBQ seasoning, recipe follows
      1/4 cup molasses
      1 cup BBQ sauce, recipe follows
      3/4 cup chopped pork or beef brisket

BBQ Seasoning:

1 1/2 cups paprika
      3/4 cup sugar
      3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder

BBQ Sauce

2 cups ketchup
      1 cup water
      1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
      5 tablespoons light brown sugar
      5 tablespoons sugar
      1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
      1/2 tablespoon onion powder
      1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Saute the red pepper, onion and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the baked beans and remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer. Cover the beans and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes.

BBQ Seasoning:
      Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

BBQ Sauce
      In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Comment

Why are beans so friggin’ delicious?

Comment

Originally posted by Arsenlael View Post
          Why are beans so friggin’ delicious?
          They knew what they were doing when they married pork to beans. My two fav food groups.

Kathryn

Comment

I just tried the Burbon BBQ recipe at the spur of the moment. It was a pleasant surprise. Saw this thread and it had me looking at the recipes on the site. I have not been a fan of beans. It's not that I didn't like them. I just never were thrilled about baked beans. I love red beans and rice - real easy Blue Runner cajun beans with sausage and some Bearded Butcher black rub. Not sure why that rub, but I like that rub in the red beans.

The Burbon BBQ beans recipe was a great start. I will try different beans with the recipe in the future, and definitely something I'll continue to cook now. I know I wanted sweet, so went with that one. I couldn't find the white canned beans per the recipe, so got the canned pinto beans. I did go with the apple (honey crisp) option soaked in bourbon and the mild pepper. The apple was a great addition. I cooked 4 pieces of bacon in an iron skillet and smoked 5 pieces, so went with 9 strips of bacon vs the 6 in the recipe. I did put a chuck roast on the rack above and cooked (pellet smoker) for 2 hrs and 45 minutes. The chuck in a sous vide bath now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here