Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Bourbon and Maple BBQ Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Bourbon and Maple BBQ Sauce

Was in another post talking mixing sauces and I offered to send my recipe to a member then realized I should just post it here.
    Been making this sauce by the gallon ( quadruple the recipe ) for well over a decade and its a bad day when my wife reaches for it and we are out!

SMOKEY BOURBON BBQ SAUCE

1 tbsp onion powder

2 cups ketchup

½ cup dark brown sugar

½ cup real maple syrup

1 cup Jim Beam

3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp dry mustard

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

¼ cup soy sauce

½ tsp ground cayenne pepper

1tsp molasses

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place in a shallow pan and smoke with oak ( bourbon barrel if available) for an hour. Take it back inside and pour into a stock pot and bring to a boil over med heat. Lower heat and simmer for 30-45 mins or until thicken to liking.

*To use this recipe to make a sweet and spicy everyday sauce for grilling chicken, pork chops , pork steak etc. increase the maple syrup and brown sugar from ½ cup each to ¾ cup each. And double the molasses from 1 tsp to 2 tsp

*To use the base sauce to make a chicken / rib glaze increase the molasses from 1 tsp to 1 TBS and add 1/2 cup honey.
    Last edited by CHNeal; November 29, 2022, 01:16 PM.

Cool.
    have been meaning to look for an alternative similar to the one pictured below on the right..
    This just might be the ticket
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20221122_181958~2.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1335888

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      In its base form it’s my favorite brisket sauce. My wife and Daughter prefer it sweetened up as an everyday sauce. Try it and let me know what you think.

Bourbon makes everything better as does maple syrup?

Comment

I’ve got a bottle of Johnnie Walker black that is so smokey and peaty that it’s hard to drink. Would such a thing work in a bbq sauce.

Comment

• CHNeal
        CHNeal commented
        Editing a comment
        I have serious doubt. Peat smoke is nothing I’d want in a sauce. The reason bourbon works is it’s sweetness.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess my next try is to see if it is a good insect repellent.

Thanks for posting the recipe. Looks like I've got a new "project" this coming weekend.

Any particular bourbon you like for this?

Comment

• CHNeal
        CHNeal commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve always been a Jim Beam fan!

Well I am out of sauce so I guess it’s time to run a batch of this! I always do a 4 batch as it seems to just get better and better as it sits. The only thing thats kept me from making it lately is I haven’t chopped up my last 2 Jim beam barrels so I don’t have the wood to smoke it with.
      Gonna either break out the chop saw or see if post oak is a good substitute….

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        I used some Jack Daniels wood chips and it came out fine. My next batch I'm going to use some Red Oak, it may be too strong, but I'll see.

I’ll have try this!

Comment

I wonder if you could leave out the molasses, and substitute Knob Creek Smokey Maple for the Jack Daniels. I only ask because I have some in the liquor cabinet and don't drink the stuff

Comment

I'm going to try your recipe soon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here