Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a Sauce is Yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a Sauce is Yours?

Ok, I'm being asked to enter a local bbq sauce comp with "my sauce". Here's my hang up. When does a sauce become yours? I started with Meathead KC sauce and have modified it over the years. I have no aspirations of profit. In the event I win it will be donated to a local non-profit so at what point does it become my sauce?

Interesting question.

Comment

How about a comparison. List the original and altered over time. That could help in judgement to your question.

Comment

I use a Modified Memphis Dust. Two ingredients were substituted with something else.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, I do what I call "Memphis Dust +". I think of it as mine. Truth be told the mix of ingredients between some commercial products is minimally altered, I'd bet some are nearly identical. One or two ingredients with a different amount or concentration can significantly alter the flavor profile of a sauce or rub. If you've modified multiple things, regardless of your 'base', I'd think it's 'yours enough' for a local competition.

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          Modified Meathead's Memphis Dust, or MMMD for short.

For me, when you alter it enough that it is easily distinguishable from the inspiration. I'd perhaps add "In a blind taste test". It might inadvertently taste like some other sauce that you've never tried but that's because sauce styles are all in a relatively narrow band.

Comment

When you make it yourself.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            +2

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          When you make it yourself.
          This.

I’d be willing to bet that if five of us made Meathead’s sauce, they would all taste different from each other. They’d be close, but different. And anyhow, if you look at 20 different KC style sauce recipes, they’ll all have ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar. So everything else is nuance, right?

Don’t sweat it. If there’s no receipt, it’s yours.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I read the question and was going to point this out, just not as well! A former member made furniture. He talked once about patents. He said that if two (however minor) alterations were made to furniture it no longer violated the patent on the original. Taking that - two alterations to ingredients and it is yours.

• Johnny Booth
            Johnny Booth commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Without factory precision, it is unlikely you make the same sauce twice. 😁

Good question. There's probably a rule of thumb about the percentage of change. I'll bet Meathead was working off of other KC sauces when he developed his.

Comment

• Mark V
            Mark V commented
            Editing a comment
            Great point. Very few are truly original.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            It's all an evolution. Everyone is riffing on something. Mark V

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. I started from scratch. No recipe to inspire me.

My go-to rubs and sauces are the basic recipes from the original "Barbecue Bible" by Steve Raichlen. I have modified them slightly, mainly by playing with the hotter ingredients. I use a particular fine ground red pepper blend instead of Cayenne and some Yucatan Sunshine to spice things up, for example. I give full credit to Raichlen if anyone asks where the base came from.

Comment

I use honey from my beehives. Anything I make with it is mine. Own it man, it is yours

Comment

If I read that just as you wrote it, my assumption would be any sauce that I made rather than a commercially bottled sauce.

Comment

...picks up his glass of absinthe and takes an uncomfortably long sip....

As one cannot copyright a recipe, is a sauce ever anyone's to begin with? It's deep yall....so deep....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	559D796C-6811-4857-8C61-354D1F7E9763.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	1242391 As long as you don’t publish a cookbook w recipes and anecdotes from Meathead’s childhood and pass them off as your own, you’re probably good.

Comment

I mean a lot of recipes use Heinz ketchup for more than 50% of the sauce, or people with a killer baked beans recipe and you find out it's just 2 cans of Bushes and some extra stuff thrown in, tons of examples. In my opinion, even if it's made up of another recipe with your tweaks, it's yours... when you share it you give credit to the starting source or ingredient and move on.

Comment

I think it is yours if it doesn't come from a commercial bottle. Even though it is based on mine, you have altered it, so I think it is yours. When I write recipes, in a case like this I will say it was "inspired by" and list the source. Good luck!

Comment

• mrichie1229
                        mrichie1229 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you make it worse, I don't think anyone will ask for the recipe...

• Meathead
                        Meathead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Murdy You won't and I can take it

• HotSun
                        HotSun commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Murdy, you're cracking me up over here, even if you're being serious.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here