Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Original Shawsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be smoking my first pork butts on Monday and making my fist ever pulled pork sandwich's and I'm looking for a sauce. Huskee would this sauce be good for sandwich's as is or with a modification?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You've got this!

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      My rule of thumb is to always make the recipe as written the first time, then decide if it needs to be tweaked to suit your tastes. To be honest, Huskee's Shawsh is one of the few sauces that I make as written -- I haven't felt any need to tweak it. I can't say that about most recipes.

My only issue is I just wish I could write or pronounce "Shawsh" properly. Try as I might, I stumble over that dang name every time.

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      IowaGirl being from Canada I'll just call it Huskee Sauce and everyone will relate.

I made a batch of your sauce Huskee. Did my first pork butts using meatheads recipe. took them to 180F and then wrapped. Fed 18 people and everyone loved the sauce. I have been buying Kosmo original competition because my son loves it. Well I won't be doing much of that any more. I very much prefer this sauce. Its refreshing. Has some zing and cuts through the smoked meat. and a touch of sweetness. I did not alter it at all.

How long does it keep?

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      IMO this sauce will keep well for several months if stored in a squeeze bottle and kept refrigerated. It's fairly acidic, and a low pH helps lengthen the shelf life.

Using a squeeze bottle is another strategy to keep the sauce sanitary as possible, unlike an open-top bottle or jar.

We don't use sauces real fast, so I make a half recipe of this Shawsh, put about half in a squeeze bottle to store in the fridge and freeze the other half. It freezes well.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I missed this a year ago, big mack. Thanks for the nice words. Like Mosca said it keeps for months in the fridge, how long exactly I don't really know. It always gets used up long before it goes bad. Lots o vinegar in it.

I made the sauce Sunday and served it today with 4 racks of ribs. My oldest son at a rack and a half with it by himself. One comment from an 85 year old man - "If you served me a tennis shoe with this on it, I would eat it." My best friend - " "Man that sauce is delicious. It goes so well with the pork. It is definitely my favorite rib sauce ever. That sauce on pulled pork would be heaven. I'm trying to figure out right now how to make that happen. I think I might get a pulled pork sandwich to-go from Mojo's tomorrow and put the rest of this on it."

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I missed this post a year ago (embarrassed), thank you for sharing such nice words!

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn good sauce, brother Huskee

Hi all,

For all of us who like using weight-based measurements (and the metric system), here's a weight conversion I made of the original Huskee Shawsh for a half-recipe.

​​​​​​
    Half recipe by weight:
    Ketchup - 375g
    Sugar - 100g
    Brown sugar - 50g
    Apple Cider Vinegar - 60g
    Water- 30g
    OJ - 60g
    Molasses - 20g
    Mustard - 7g
    Salt - 9g
    Worcestershire - 7g
    Pepper - 3g
    Garlic powder - 5g
    Onion powder - 2g

Hope this is helpful!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here