Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Real" Jewish Rye Bread Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Real" Jewish Rye Bread Recipe

This has nothing to do with BBQ or smoking, but I came across a Jewish rye bread recipe on a sausage making forum here:

I've made the recipe two times now with good results. Below is my bread baking record page from yesterday's loaf.

The recipe calls for white rye flour and first clear flour. White rye is available on amazon, but the only place I've found first clear flour is from King Arthur and only as a 3 pound bag. The original author says you can substitute bread flour, but I have not tried it (I will).

To make your first rye sour, you add 106 grams white rye flour and 118 grams water to about a hundred grams of any sourdough starter that you have and let it work until about twice volume (took about 7 hours in my 78º kitchen. Then either use it, or refrigerate until you're read to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1003339

OK, if you make pastrami on rye sandwich, then its acceptable as BBQ, right?

Name:	sandwich.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1003340

Very nice looking loaf there. Love rye and pumpernickel breads even though a baker i am not. Thankfully there are a few great places around me to purchase artisans breads. And yes! Pastrami is just fine-quality bbq (imho). Thanks for posting the recipe.

Comment

Thanks for posting. I'm going to to try this. Looks delicious!

Comment

Richard Chrz what say you?

great looking loaf! Rye bread is one of my favorite breads. Chock full of caraway seeds, thank you very much. Keep testing and keep us posted johnec00

Comment

This is one I have always wanted to try. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Hey, it is pastrami season, so I would say this fits right in with some Rye bread.

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              When is it not pastrami season?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Also a valid point. johnec00 LOL

I love Jewish Rye. Well done!

Comment

Your bread looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Comment

Tried the recipe with King Arthur bread flour to replace the first clear flour. King Arthur says the first clear is 15.3% protein and 0.8% ash. Their bread flour is 12.7% protein and 0.5% ash. I replaced the 409 grams first clear flour in the recipe with 391 grams bread flour and 18 grams wheat gluten. This mixture matches the 15.3% protein, but I can't do anything about the ash (charcoal ash probably won't work!!!). Also added 8 grams more water. The result was indistinguishable, so success!

Name:	loaf.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1010068

Comment

I also am a rye lover. Looks good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here