Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you refrigerate your fish sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you refrigerate your fish sauce?

I bought a new bottle of Red Boat at Whole Foods today. I go through it quickly, but have always refrigerated it after opening. I don't think it is necessary to do so. What say you all?

What does the label say

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing about refrigerating after opening at all.

It'll last longer if you do, but if you go through it within a few months it's fine stored in a cool dark place.

Comment

We refrigerate ours …

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto...

Nope. No one in Asia does it either.

Comment

• Janet P
        Janet P commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never refrigerated fish or soy sauce, or sesame oil, rice vinegar, etc. I do put open hoisin, sriracha, sambal oelek, oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce, shrimp paste, and some other items like dried shrimp and tamarind in the fridge, probably because the label says to

I do, mostly for freshness. But I've not in the past and it's fine so... eh.

Comment

I do but I also keep almost sauces in the fridge (soy sauce, hot sauce, etc) as it’s easier and more convenient for me to have them all there in one place

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good point

Our bottle of Red Boat says "refrigerate for quality" on the label.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, I can't find that on mine but my wife will tell you that I ask for her help finding things I'm staring at directly

I don't care if they come in a sauce or not, I have hard rule against fish in the fridge. You should leave that stuff outside for the gators.

Comment

If you've seen how it's made I don't think putting it in a fridge or not will make much difference...LOL

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Dadof3Illinois thank you, these look perfect. Did you get the wand, spring operated, simple push/pull, or the solar powered model?

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin I have the wand cran up and they work great!!

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Dadof3Illinois good to know cause that's the one I wanted. Thanks again.

I always do, but that is because I figured, why not? i have the space and it will at the very least, let it keep a little longer.

Comment

I keep it out of the fridge with my oils and vinegars. No need to refrigerate, even bacteria doesn't like the stuff

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            The high salt content makes bacteria a non-issue. My understanding is if left at room temperature for years the flavor could become slightly milder.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That video is really cool

I do out of habit. Can’t go wrong by doin it.

Comment

Per Red boat website

All Red Boat products are labeled with a best-by date on the label that is 36 months (three years) from the date of manufacture. After opening, we recommend using the contents within a year. For optimum freshness it is best to refrigerate the product after opening; however, if a bottle is kept at room temperature, the product will not be harmed in any way.

Comment

I do, but I don’t think it is necessary. Also, I have noted that salt crystals tend to form when it is in the fridge. Don’t think it’s a big deal either way.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I like to buy Red Boat salt and use it to dry brine my ribs. The umami is insane.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds great!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here