Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ginger-Garlic Paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ginger-Garlic Paste

While I prefer to use fresh garlic and fresh ginger, I've been using ginger-garlic paste as a time saver more and more. It certainly works better than cheap garlic and ginger powders in "wet" dishes.

It is more gingery than garlicky (the garlic flavor is there, but muted). It works well in stir-fry sauces.

Here's the brand that my local grocery store carries (it is basically just ginger, garlic, and vinegar plus the expected preservatives):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 12.23.20 PM.png
Views:	276
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	1178615

I get the ones in the squeeze tubes. The flavor is definitely a step down from fresh. But it's a lazy shortcut that's nice sometimes.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the tubes and also the little frozen cubes. Great way to get almost fresh herbs for certain times of the year.

These are a great shortcut. I add them to marinades for a nice extra kick of garlic and ginger. Definitely easier than chopping/grating garlic and ginger

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Although, grating them is a pretty good shortcut too.

I have a jar of that same stuff. It's good when I'm making Indian curry or Chinese stir-fry. I honestly can't tell the difference between that and fresh in those two instances.

But when making, say, Dewesq55 's garlic shrimp recipe, for sure using the real deal garlic, prepped 3 different ways, makes all the difference in the world. That recipe is a joy to eat, BTW.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; February 21, 2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I had forgotten about that recipe.....looks so tasty. Yes, absolutely, without question, for that....fresh full garlic!

I make my own ginger garlic paste - 50/50 by weight. I freeze it in ice cube trays with 1 tablespoon in each cube. Then pop them all out and store in a Ziploc bag in the freezer. Better than the jar, for sure.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; February 23, 2022, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great idea!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here