Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry

Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry
    ★★★★★
    Veggies
    Difficulty: Medium | Servings: 4-6

Description:
    Adapted for Phoenix Home and Garden Magazine from Cowboy Ciao, formerly in Scottsdale, AZ. This dish works as a stand alone meatless entree as well as a hearty side as shown in the picture.

Ingredients:
    Polenta Cakes *

1 cup quick cooking instant polenta
    4 cups boiling water
    1 tsp ground nutmeg
    1 tsp kosher salt *
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    â…› cup basil leaves, chiffonade
    ½ cup roasted red peppers, julienned *

Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry

4 to 6 baby portobello mushrooms (one per serving)
    ½ cup olive oil
    4 cups mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake, button, lobster and oyster; depending on size, leave some whole halve or slice others)
    1 tsp finely chopped garlic
    ¼ dry white wine
    4 tsp ancho chili paste
    4 cups heavy cream
    kosher sale, to taste
    freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 avocado, sliced just before serving
    2 Roma tomatoes, diced
    3 to 4 oz cotija cheese, crumbled

Directions:
    Place polenta in top of a double boiler or a bowl owner a stock pot of boiling water. Add the boiling water to the instant polenta. Whisk well until polenta comes together and brings to pull away from the sides of the pot or bowl.
    Mix in nutmeg, salt, pepper, basil and roasted red peppers. Cook about 8 minutes (follow directions on polenta package).
    Spoon mixture onto a sheet pan and spread evenly to make an inch-thick layer. Cool, cover and refrigerate until firm. Ideally, this can be done a day before serving.
    Brush the portobellos with 1 tbls olive oil and set aside. *
    Place remaining olive in a sauté pan. Cook the remaining mushrooms (not portobellos) for about 8 to 10 minutes over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more until the mixture has browned.
    Deglaze pan with white wine and reduce until almost dry. Add ancho chili paste and cream and reduce by half. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
    Cut polenta into 3-inch squares or triangles and grill on both sides. About 3 to 5 minutes.
    Grill portobellos on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes until tender and cut in half.
    Place polenta cake/s on plate, spoon mushroom mixture over the polenta. Top with grilled portobellos. Garnish with avocado, cotija and tomatoes.

Notes:
    *Polenta - more times than not, I just make a creamy polenta instead of polenta cakes.
    *Salt - I am a Diamond Crystal salt person, adjust accordingly to your taste.
    *red peppers - I rarely use them and I don’t miss them. But they are tasty.
    *portobellos - mostly I just sauté them all together.

Source: Phoenix Home and Garden Magazine 2007

Paprika users, I have the file for your convenience. PM me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	31667AB8-801F-4DD0-B121-6E51A53F3331.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1286630

Sounds and looks fantastic!

Comment

Wow, thanks for sharing SheilaAnn. I made polenta for the first time this past spring, so I definitely want to try this (it's my DW's comfort food from her youth).

I'll PM you for the Paprika file and thanks for your generosity.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        My polenta recipe is straight outta Marcella hazan.

I couldn’t find the recipe (printed in 2010 and in a sheet protector) and panicked. Granted, I know the recipe by heart, but I wanted the exact info to share with my fellow Pitmasters. So I put it into paprika and backed it up!

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Aren't we allowed to upload Paprika files on The Pit now?

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna I thought so too, but couldn’t figure it out. I think there is a thread about it…..

Thought they turned blue when they bruised?

Comment

WOW! That looks great. This is going into Paprika.

Just a note: Baby Bella's are just a marketing term for Cremini's. It's the same mushroom. Marketing being what it is...

Comment

• HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for that info about cremini's, Bkhuna, I did not know that.

Paprika recipe. I found the procedure for uploading….
        Attached Files

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Hurray! I'm hoping to see more sharing.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here