Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Did It - I Bought a Yoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Did It - I Bought a Yoder

Hi folks -
    I just pulled the trigger on the YS640s on the competition cart.
    I'm a back-yard-only cooker but the cart is just too nice to pass up.
    i had my eye on a Memphis grill but once I learned they moved production to China - I started my search once again.

This is my first smoker of any kind. It gets delivered in about a month.

I'm moving from southern California to North Carolina next week. Looking forward to cooking some North Carolina style pulled pork and baby backs!

I'll keep ya'll posted and take a lot of pictures....

Wowee. You got a beaut for your first smoker. Congrats! We want to see pics of your cooks!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Zero!
      I'm all over in-process pictures - I'll be sure to post 'em

Welcome to the Pit!
    Looking forward to seeing those cooks

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup - I'll be sure to post pictures!

Congratulations. Great choice.

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, DonW
      I agonized over this decision - happy to hear experienced folks think it's a good choice!

Oh man that’s great! Looking forward to reading about some great cooks!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a learning curve to negotiate but I'm looking forward to it

That’s awesome! Congrats on the new cooker. And good luck with your move. I lived in Charlotte for about 5 years and loved it there. In fact, I got into bbq and smoking meat shortly after moving there. That’s real bbq country!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      We're excited about the move and learning all about the local 'que

Welcome from Charlotte!! I’ll taste test your BBQ anytime!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Scott -
      We're in Denver - about a half hour north of Charlotte. Near Lake Norman.
      I'd love to hook up sometime - my email is [email protected]

depending on where in NC theres a good Yoder dealer in NC in case you need some add-ons or advice. The folks at grillbillies in Wake Forest I think, near Raleigh were plenty nice to me while I was researching pellet grills. Welcome to the pit!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought from the Charlotte Grill Company.
      They had all the options I wanted in stock and have set them aside until the cooker arrives.
      Thanks for the welcome - much appreciated.

Heck yea....you did good my friend...👍👍👍👍. Just make sure you share picks once you get it

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dado - I can't believe what a difficult choice this was.
      Knowing that experienced cooks are giving me a Thumbs-Up helps a lot.
      I'll be sure to post pictures of the arrival and my cooks!

I'm delighted by both yer acquisition of a YS 640S Yoder, an yer relocation from So Cali to NC...I'll be followin along, with great interest, amigo.
    Lemme know if'n I can ever be of assistance, translator, or what have ye. ...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 21, 2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate that, Mr Bones. Means a lot to me.
      The wife and I are plenty excited about the move.
      The moving trucks arrive on the 29th. Will be in our new home in Denver, NC a few days later.
      I won't hesitate to ask for advice or opinions. I'm a newby and looking forward to learning how to cook well.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Straight up gots yer six, let's roll, yall! !

@Raven Rock I am glad to see another American base his choice on manufacturer origin.
    I follow a few Memphis forums on Facebook and it is surprising to see the push back they are getting on the decision to move to China.
    Congrats on the new American Made Yoder. You made the right decision.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Memphis’ decision was saddening. I’m seeing lots more reports of problems with the new grills too.

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Manufacturer origin is definitely important to me and I'm willing to pay more to keep those jobs in America. And it's a dang nice piece of backyard equipment!

Congrats on your new tank. You hear lots of good things about Yoders. That drop feed system is a great feature. Do they all have the Fireboard based controller now? I’ve seen a lot of pics of that comp cart and it’s as sweet as the grill, great choice.

Comment

You did your homework and purchased a great USA made cooker. Congratulations.
    I hope your move goes safely and seamlessly with your household goods arriving as scheduled.

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tie - I appreciate that.
      We have a well known national mover taking care of the stuff.
      We're shipping one car and making a leisurely drive from So Cal to the Charlotte area in our second car.
      Will be sure to stop in Albuquerque and have something with green chilies and we're also stopping in Memphis and Nashville.

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      Raven Rock have a safe trip. I know this is about 70 mi from Albuquerque in Santa Fe but this place is worth seeing Lorreto Chapel. I went there kicking and screaming well at a minimum major power snivel but that staircase was amazing. Visited it when coming back from Warner Springs Ca driving a motorhome. Enjoy the regional Que along the way.

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip Tie - we may have some time for a little side trip....

That Yoder will be a great cooker for you! Congratulations on your move too!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Skip.
      I've had a Weber gaser for nearly 15 years.
      I have a lot to learn on the Yoder and I'm an enthusiastic student. So glad I found this great community at Amazing Ribs!

Congrats on your move out of California! Let's hope they don't ship it to your old address. LOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here