Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be wrong to return the SmokeFire? Soliciting Pit input on this decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad you didn't buy it from Costco - they take back most anything. My buddy's wife returned a "broken" toilet that was 3 years old!

That being said, I'd go for Return It! Like FireMan said, you really have answered your own question several times.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      No kidding...I would have if they sold it. I wanted to love it, but questioned my own sanity from the start of round two.

It's a funny hobby we have decided to master here, from despair at a malfunctioning unit to nailing a rib cook.
    If the Smokefire has you absolutely completely dreading going out and cooking something then send it back, hopefully for a full refund.
    Why bang your head against the wall and hate something, that's what's going to work is for.
    If you glean a bit of enjoyment out of it that's a different story.
    And who knows the next update may be the one that fixes everything.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
      And who knows the next update may be the one that fixes everything.
      I have a knack for that actually, the fix all update will probably come the day after I return it if I do so. I bought a Traeger D2 Pro 585 when they came out. The RTD probe was not configured right in the controller software, it was close at 225, but about 30-40 degrees off at 300 and 80-100 degrees off at 450. It was a widespread problem on all the D2 Pros, but did not appear to be happening on Timberline and Ironwood. Needless to say, the Pro grills wouldn't go over 360 even though they were supposed to go to 450. I went round and round with support, followed several others that were doing the same talking to them. I finally returned the grill after about a month or so of being told I was imagining things...the next morning the firmware update that fixed the problem was released. Entire time though Traeger never admitted there was a problem and wouldn't say if or when a fix was coming.

Comment

If they will take it back then I would return it as well. I agree with others it is worth a phone conversation. Due to the duration if they do not take it back then cut your losses and sell it. There is just no need in not being happy with a cooker that you use on a regular basis. I have one Weber product in the Summit gasser that I really like and would probably get again if this one wears out. But, I am a little disappointed in their quality issues as of late.

Your write up on this product is one of the best on this forum. You can surely say that you have done your diligence.

Comment

Just to repeat what’s already been said, Weber promised your satisfaction. Hold them to their word, you’ve laid out a well documented case for wanting to return it, heck, you bought 2 of them. Weber will make it right.

On another note, having owned a Traeger for 10 yrs, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. It always did what I wanted. My brother bought a Req-tec in the last year and raves about it. He’s super anal about grills holding temp, he’s too unrealistic IMO, but he never complains about the Req-tec staying on temp.

Comment

Personally, if you cannot trust it to cook your food in a predictable manner, and they will take it back, I would send it back.

What you do after that is up to you. I think you've tried every pellet cooker out there except for Grilla... hint hint. While I know its not as big, that Grilla OG sure looks cool and unique, and takes less patio space... I also do not hear anyone on the Pit having issues with either their Silverbac or OG. That says something.

I would send it back, and then wait for Grilla to come out with their Wifi controller, that is said to be in beta test in another thread. Just use the Summit until then.

Alternatively... use your Summit for all your smoking and get a gasser! Those ALWAYS come up to temp fast, haha.
            Last edited by jfmorris; February 1, 2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• IFindZeroBadCooks
              IFindZeroBadCooks commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, now a glitchy thread on the OG Grilla would be awesome.

While they are being very coy about what exactly the WiFi includes, it does seem like a very robust (e.g. more than just temp monitoring) package. We will see though.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL you two. Maybe what I need is a GoFundMe page where the Pit members can fund and choose the next grill I document experiences with for six-9 months at a time.

I actually already have my eyes locked pretty firmly on the next prize as I've been analyzing the options since the weather cooled and the last couple updates hit the SmokeFire...and if I buy it and it doesn't stick around several years, I'm a dead man.

• IFindZeroBadCooks
              IFindZeroBadCooks commented
              Editing a comment
              http://www.gofundme.com/glitchybbqthread

Obviously you're not happy, and it's unfortunate. I honestly was rooting hard for Weber to kill it on their first foray into the pellet market. I think quality competition is healthy for ALL pellet owners, and the added bonus of popularity will eventually benefit all pellet owners in the form of variety and availability of pellets as well as lower prices. I'd try your hand at holding Weber accountable, I do still hold out hope for a completely redesigned highly successful smokefire in the near future though.

Comment

Heck no you are not wrong.. if it doesn't work the way it should and they can't fix it I would return it. I finally saw the local hardware store had one and was about to ask to see if the bugs had been worked out. I guess this post answered all the questions I was going to ask. Guess you saved me some cash.. what model do you have I could go look in your thread but I am to lazy. I really want one but am going to wait til they get this figured out.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the EX4. If you really wanted one I will make you a heck of a deal on a package ;-) I’ve been reading the next update is in beta and beta testers say a lot of issues are fixed, but that’s a small group and it seems you’re always waiting for the next release and when you finally get it, it fixes things but makes something else quirky. I’m just tired of relearning it over and over. Someday it will probably be an awesome grill, today it’s a good grill when it’s in a good mood.

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                Kind of sounds like my wife!!😃😃 The one they have in town is the ex6 not sure what improvements they have made.. just kind of hesitant about it

I can't believe there is still this kind of chatter about the SmokeFire. I own 5 Weber products and NEVER had problems with any of them (other than upgrades to improve performance). What a shame. Like others my pellet grill has worked flawlessly for the past 3.5 years with plus or minus 10 degrees of accuracy. Get something that is proven and get yourself satisfied.

Comment

If you don't like it now, you will learn to despise it later. Then you will beat yourself up for not returning it.

They made the guarantee so send it back now. You'll feel better having that off your mind.
                Then you will be able to sleep instead of waking up at 3:00 a.m. thinking about a bad product that you are stuck with.

Comment

Return it, no question. I returned my Traeger after almost a year. There are so many really good pellet grills out now, there is no point in putting up with something that is substandard and you can't trust. Especially at that price point! Besides, Weber needs to get the message.

Comment

I think it's time for Weber to be held accountable for THEIR technology that has failed to satisfy a consumer. Hold them to their satisfaction policy. They hope that the customer will decide to not hold them to their word by making it difficult through customer service or by fixes that don't solve issues. Bottom line is that it's your money and their product that is not worked as expected according to their sales promise.

Comment

What is taking you so long? I watched Harry Soo explain a grease fire is only a flare-up. Now he uses aluminum pans under the grill grates to catch the droppings. Call them flare-ups or grease fires, don't care I don't want either.
                      Just my take.
                      Happy grilling to you.

Comment

I think FireMan is right. You already know the answer, but you're letting emotion cloud the issue. This is really just a true/false question. Weber offered to make things right if you're not satisfied, so the obligation is on them to make you satisfied. Not on you to be happy with what they have provided.

If you happen to be looking for a suggestion on your next pooper, I suggest a Smoke Daddy cabinet. I know nothing about them besides what their sales pitch offers, but who amongst us is more qualified to put one through its paces. I'd really like to know if I should buy one, and it's a lot cheaper for me to have you buy it and do all the testing.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                          DavidNorcross commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have to agree on that Smoke Daddy cabinet. Impressive cooker.

• rickgregory
                          rickgregory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          " If it disappoints, I’m going to have a gasser and my WSCG and be done"

Sure, sure. Until next time.

• rwalters
                          rwalters commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds like the MAK family might gain a new member... 🤔

Weber's willingness to provide early adopters of the original Summit Kamado E6 grills with fully assembled replacements leads me to believe that they would probably take your SmokeFire back. Feel free to message me if you would like the contact info for their VP of Customer Experience Quality who is setting up my replacement. He's very responsive and reasonable to deal with.

Comment

• glitchy
                          glitchy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I plan to call this week sometime, depending on the response I get from the call I might take you up on that.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
                      Click here to read our detailedreview

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review