Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Thinking of getting a Traeger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monopauly
    Club Member
    • Oct 2020

Thinking of getting a Traeger

I currently have a Monolith Kamado grill with the ultraq bbq guru, which I love for long now and slow cooks as well as high temp grilling. I've heard a lot about pellet grills and trying to convince myself of getting one. I'm more of a quality than guantity guy and tend to cook for Max 10 people. I also have a Weber kettle so can do some quick grilling on that. Would I be crazy to also get a pellet grill or is there something the pellet grill will give me flavor wise that the kamado can't? As I live in Europe, the only reputable brand that seems to supply here are Traeger, so that's what I've been looking at.

• willxfmr
    Club Member
    • Apr 2017
    • Fondy

You're going to get a different flavor profile from a pellet pooper than you do the Komando. I have a WSM and a Camp Chef pellet pooper, and although I really like the WSM, I won't be giving up the Camp Chef. For me it comes down to being able to tailor the smoke profile to the meat. With the pellet pooper and a smoke tube, I can hit just about any profile I want with the set it and, mostly forget it ease that any decent pooper will give you.

FYI, anytime you ask here in The Pit, "should I buy it?" The answer is YES!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Club Member
      • Mar 2020
      • Muskego, WI
      • Current cookers:
        Rec Tec RT700 "Bull" pellet cooker
        Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
        Weber Genesis 3 burner gas grill w/ rotisserie
        Charbroil Grill2Go gas grill
        Weber 22" Performer Deluxe kettle grill w/ThermoPro TP-20S temp monitor
        Weber Smokey Joe
        SnS Deluxe
        Vortex
        The Orion Cooker convection cooker/smoker (two of them)
        Blackstone 17" griddle
        Joule Sous Vide circulator

Favorite beer: Anything that's cold!
        Favorite cocktail: Bourbon neat

I love my pellet smoker. I also have 8 other cookers and use them all for specific things. Get it. You’ll love having the versatility in your cooker fleet.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        This.

• zinfella
        zinfella commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky you! We sold our house and moved unto a gated mobile home community. When it comes to room for stuff, we can't even buy thick sliced bologna!
    • surfdog
      Club Member
      • Mar 2016
      • Sunny SoCal
      • Cooking gadgets
        Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center
        Weber Summit Platinum D6
        Blue Rhino Razor
        Dyna-Glo XL Premium Dual Chamber
        Camp Chef Somerset IV along with their Artisan Pizza Oven 90
        Anova WiFi

Thermometers
        Thermapen Mk4 - ThermaQ High Temp Kit - ThermaQ Meathead Kit - ThermaQ WiFi - ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S - ThermoWorks Signals & Billows - ThermoPop -ThermoWorks ProNeedle - ThermoWorks TimeStick Trio x2 - and a Christopher Kimball timer - NO, I do not work for ThermoWorks...I just like their products.

Other useful bits...
        KitchenAid 7-qt Pro Line stand mixer
        A Black & Decker food processor that I can't seem to murder
        A couple of immersion blenders, one a "consumer" model & the other a "high end" Italian thing. Yes, the Italian one is a bit better, but only marginally
        Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 8-qt + accessories like egg-bite & egg holders
        All-Clad pots & pans, along with some cast iron...everything from 7" Skookie pans to 8.5qt Dutch ovens
        Weber GBS griddle, pizza stone, and wok
        Knives range from Mercer to F. Dick to "You spent how much for one knife? One knife?!" LOL

Originally posted by Monopauly View Post
      Would I be crazy to also get a pellet grill..?
      Bwahahahaha as if anyone here would ever suggest NOT purchasing another cooker.

I don’t have one myself, but my father does...as does a cousin. Actually, he has at least two...and loves them. A friend of mine uses his at least once a week. Convenience seems to be the common denominator. They’re really not too disimilar from an indoor oven in many respects.

As willxfmr pointed out, a smoke tube might be a good addition. That will depend on the functions available within the cooker itself. It was a game changer when added to my father’s Traeger. His, by itself, doesn’t have a smoke profile that some prefer...it’s very subtle. Very. The smoke tube gave it the kick it needed IMO. And given the price, it’s an easy fix.
      Last edited by surfdog; November 3, 2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: Shpelling... ;-)

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        Club Member
        • Sep 2018

I have a good friend who has a Traeger and he uses it almost every day. I am jealous of his Traeger because of the ability to fire it up and be cooking within minutes.

He notices that if he stays low and slow for the first part of the cook and then cranks it up at the end he gets more smoke into the meat.

Good luck and best wishes!

Comment

• klflowers
          Club Member
          • Sep 2015
          • Tennessee

we all vote yes on more cookers, whatever kind it may be.

Comment

• rickgregory
            Founding Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Seattle, WA

So... I'll go against the grain since I'm one of the few here that doesn't suffer from MCS. Why do you want a pellet grill? I can see a few reasons (easy to more or less set and forget, ability to get a light smoke profile if you want one) but why do YOU want one?

It seems silly to me to get something that has a lighter smoke profile then try to mess with it to get heavier smoke when you can get heavier smoke with the Kamodo you you already have but I can see wanting lighter smoke on some things and thus using a pellet grill vs the Kamodo. But... what's your thinking here?
            Last edited by rickgregory; November 3, 2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Very good point regarding the smoke profile.

For ME, and it’s entirely MY opinion. It seems to come down to convenience.
              I don’t own a pellet cooker, and don’t see myself getting one.

OTOH, I can understand one’s desire for convenience... And the only pellet cooker that I have ANY experience with is my father’s Traeger. (He has no other smoker.) WAY too light of a smoke profile IMO. A smoke tube was a must.

Convenience is the ONLY reason I can see for owning one. FWIW, I’m not sold.
          • bbqLuv
            Club Member
            • Jan 2020
            • Milwaukie, OR

One day I plan on up grading to Traeger Timberline 850 from my pellet grill I bought from Cabela's.
            I like the idea for WIFI control over the phone. So you may cook and monitor from any location you have cell service.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Club Member
              • Jun 2018
              • Eastern NC
              • 2018 MAK 2 Star
                Charbroil Big Easy SRG

My only 3 questions would be how different the Euro model is and if the customer service is adequate. Are there any brands over there that may be better but not available in the US (so not likely reviewed here)? Also, is there an adequate affordable supplier of pellets there?

Comment

• Monopauly
                Club Member
                • Oct 2020

Originally posted by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs View Post
                My only 3 questions would be how different the Euro model is and if the customer service is adequate. Are there any brands over there that may be better but not available in the US (so not likely reviewed here)? Also, is there an adequate affordable supplier of pellets there?
                Good questions. Seems the only named brand ones I can find here are traeger and Weber, and I think it’s too early for the Weber model until they sort it out. Pellets don’t seem to be an issue. There’s a local supplier here and there’s the interweb where there’s many suppliers delivering. The euro models of target are at least identical except they run on 220-240v of course.

Comment

• Monopauly
                  Club Member
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
                  So... I'll go against the grain since I'm one of the few here that doesn't suffer from MCS. Why do you want a pellet grill? I can see a few reasons (easy to more or less set and forget, ability to get a light smoke profile if you want one) but why do YOU want one?

It seems silly to me to get something that has a lighter smoke profile then try to mess with it to get heavier smoke when you can get heavier smoke with the Kamodo you you already have but I can see wanting lighter smoke on some things and thus using a pellet grill vs the Kamodo. But... what's your thinking here?
                  Thanks. That’s my dilemma. I like the smoke profile of the kamado, even if I overdid it a few times at the beginning. One thing might be the real estate, where I can really only do 1 spatchcock chicken. Although I’m waiting for my rotisserie to be delivered which will allow me to do 2 easily.

I guess the answer is I don’t need it, but wonder if I could do things with a pellet grill I couldn’t do with my Kamado.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    the only things you can do with a pellet grill that you can't do with another fuel type is consistently crank out good bbq while you sleep You do give up the super strong taste/smell of a charcoal/wood smoker (depending on the pellets, the grill, and your pallet that might not be such a bad thing), you do however get to dial in your techniques to the point where the only variables are the meat and your timing. The grill should do the same thing every time. It's convenience.

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the long/overnight cook is a good point. One reason I do chuck vs brisket is that too many brisket cooks are 12+ hours meaning I can't even get up and 7am, start them off and have it ready at dinner time. But cooking overnight would be a snap - toss it on at 9pm, pull in the morning sometime, rest and boom.
                • Jfrosty27
                  Club Member
                  • Mar 2020
                  • Muskego, WI
                  • Current cookers:
                    Rec Tec RT700 "Bull" pellet cooker
                    Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
                    Weber Genesis 3 burner gas grill w/ rotisserie
                    Charbroil Grill2Go gas grill
                    Weber 22" Performer Deluxe kettle grill w/ThermoPro TP-20S temp monitor
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    SnS Deluxe
                    Vortex
                    The Orion Cooker convection cooker/smoker (two of them)
                    Blackstone 17" griddle
                    Joule Sous Vide circulator

Favorite beer: Anything that's cold!
                    Favorite cocktail: Bourbon neat

Need? Of course you don’t need it. Do I NEED 9 cookers? Again, of course not. But me thinks we’re way into want territory. Just sayin’.

Comment

• Monopauly
                    Monopauly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me thinks you’re absolutely right 😁.
                • Monopauly
                  Club Member
                  • Oct 2020

Have to say I’m really impressed with all the quality advice being given.

Comment

• rickgregory
                    Founding Member
                    • Aug 2014
                    • Seattle, WA

BTW, despite my question above, I'm not trying to dissuade you either. If you want one and think you might get some fun use out of it, buy one. It's not like you can't sell it if it turns out that you don't like it.

Comment

• BBQPhil
                      Club Member
                      • Sep 2017
                      • San Diego, CA
                      • Yoder480, BGE, WeberGO, WeberGas

I have a BGE and was struggling with maintaining a low temp for a long time. That led me to a Yoder 480. They compliment each other and duplicate each other as well. For hot fires to make steaks, pizza, rotisserie chickern etc, the BGE is great. But for long and low temp the pellet is great. Ribs take 5-6 hrs, brisket maybe 12 hrs, and other things in between. The Yoder is perfect for this. Set the temp and no fussing. Long overnight cooks for briskets are ideal. I've gone back to the BGE to smoke a small item, and it works, but more fussing with the temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                      Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                      See more
                      See less
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                      The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                      The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                      The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                      We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                      Stylish and Affordable
                      Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                      A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                      GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                      The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                      This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                      A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                      FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                      Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                      Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order