Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RecTec and Maverick Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RecTec and Maverick Probes

Ok all you RecTec Guys and Gals how are you routing your probes for you Maverick or other remote temperature monitoring devices?

Do you drill a hole in the box to pass them through so you don't pinch the cables and have the lid not fit tight or what?

I was thinking of going through the chimney, if I got one. Don't they have a port near the computer box for their temp. probe??

Comment

For the grate probe, I just used the same hole as the Rec Tec probe uses. I basically leave it in the grill, unclipping it when I take the grates out. The meat probe I just bring out through the bottom of the lid. Even if I had a separate hole for it, I doubt I'd use it. I put the meat probe into the meat in the kitchen, carry the meat outside, open the lid, position on the grate and close the lid. I want this done as quick as possible and wouldn't want to leave the lid open long enough to fuss with getting the cable through the hole, especially on a hot and smokey grill.

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
        For the grate probe, I just used the same hole as the Rec Tec probe uses. I basically leave it in the grill, unclipping it when I take the grates out. The meat probe I just bring out through the bottom of the lid. Even if I had a separate hole for it, I doubt I'd use it. I put the meat probe into the meat in the kitchen, carry the meat outside, open the lid, position on the grate and close the lid. I want this done as quick as possible and wouldn't want to leave the lid open long enough to fuss with getting the cable through the hole, especially on a hot and smokey grill.
        Mark, how tight a fit is your hood door. Mine leaks like a sieve but, maybe it is suppose to. I am looking at sealing the door better so all the exhaust gasses go out the vent.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine leaks too. I haven't worried about it. Used to have a Traeger and it leaked just the same or worse. I assume they know that it leaks and this is how they have tuned it.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        I was thinking of going through the chimney, if I got one. Don't they have a port near the computer box for their temp. probe??
        Yes they do and Mark answered that. As for the chimney I need a place to set the Maverick sending unit and the left side would be better I think.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I put the bracket thingy on the sender and hang it from one of the shelf hooks so it's not blocking the shelf and the antenna is more in the air. You'll get better range that way.

Gotcha, I'd have to rig up some wire.

Comment

I will have something with pics as soon as it's daylight. I like the idea of going through the probe hole. As for the cover leaking I am thinking of Meatheads article on sealing you cover. Whatever I do myou folks will be the first to know.

Comment

I think I will get a gasket kit similar to this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brinkmann_trailmaster_le_nomex_250x140-Th.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	15633

MH had the link to this company over in the Parts To Repair, Modify, And Upgrade Your Grill Or Smoker:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...d_smokers.html

The other site was BBQGaskets:

Last edited by Marauderer; September 5, 2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought from the BBQGasket guys, I needed something to seal my COS when I had it, worked very well at sealing but it did get pretty nasty and you had to be pretty careful with cleaning. I use the Gostbusters approach to cleaning though, turn my pressure washer on high, scream and just start hosing everything. I usually come to my senses somewhere on the other side of the house spraying windows.

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment
              John you are "Bad" but, enjoying the journey!! That must be hilarious to watch.

I am going to order the 1" x 1/8" 10 ft roll of self sticking Nomax seal and see how that works. It will be $13.95 delivered to my door.

Name:	nomex_plain_.250_.125_self_stick_2_-M.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	15632

Last edited by Marauderer; September 5, 2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              I just ordered the exact same Nomex seal for the door on my WSM and so far so good

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
            I am going to order the 1" x 1/8" 10 ft roll of self sticking Nomax seal and see how that works. It will be $13.95 delivered to my door.

Barry your pictures aren't showing up on this end. You may have to save them and upload?

Comment

Which pics? All? Or the ones that show the seals?

Comment

I changed the last two pics as I think they are the ones you can't see. Let me know.
                Attached Files

Comment

I see them now, and I suspect we all can now. Thanks!

Comment

I tried to copy and paste from the other web site. It looked fine to me but you couldn't see them. So I went back as you suggested and saved as to my pics, then put them on my SmugMug site, and then uploaded from URL and Now I don't have to worry about that other web site retooling the page in the future and it is lost.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry for the trouble. I guess that original site didn't want to be a host for us! I have right-clicked an image > copy pic > pasted here before and they've worked. Who knows...I'm not an IT guy.

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh come on Huskee, you have some attributes of an IT Guy!! ;-D

So I took the Mav box prob and ran it through the same opening that the RecTec probe uses.

Name:	DSCF5955-M.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	15646

Name:	DSCF5956-M.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	15647

And mounted it on the same end as the RecTEc probe and with the RecTec set vat 225*F it reads 223-227*F so that isn't to bad, in fact that is fantastic in my assessment.

Name:	DSCF5957-M.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	15648

Comment

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am cooking two racks of pork ribs now and the Mav temp went down to 210*F. I bumped the RecTec to 230*F and the Mav came up to 219*F and I am leaving it there. Do you notice that kind of variation from yours

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My Mak 2 Star also has variation between my Maverick and the Mak's temp probe. It can be off by 25F sometimes, but is usually much less.

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      so if the Mak was set at 225*F and the Mav was reading 200*F did you bump up the Mak to get the Mav to read 225*F and then when it started creeping up bring the Mak back down to hold the box temp constant iaw the Mav at 225*F?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here