Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RecTec and Maverick Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find I have better luck trusting the RT temp and then adjusting according the meat temp that I get from both the leave in and the spot checks. The cook chamber just has too many fluctuations for me to keep track of.

The RT temp probe and controller are pretty awesome at what they do. If my cooks start going haywire, then I'll check temperature on the grates. Generally speaking though, I measure grill temp more when working with gas or coal. Half the allure of the RT was the ability to set and forget.

But to answer the question, I like to run the probe through the chimney stack. My cords are really long.

Comment

I am trying to let the ancillary temps go and just cook. It's hard as I want to micro manage it and that isn't what I want it to be all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
        I am trying to let the ancillary temps go and just cook. It's hard as I want to micro manage it and that isn't what I want it to be all about.
        I hear you. I can get pretty obsessive about the details during a cook, and I think if I was cooking for judges or a contest, then I'd go nuts over everything.

At home, I like to cook to relax. Also, if I start getting too obsessive about details, my wife will just let the boys loose on me and then I have no time to watch temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by leftwngr View Post
          if I start getting too obsessive about details, my wife will just let the boys loose on me and then I have no time to watch temperatures.
          I like that!

Comment

Hi guys, I am new to the Pit. I have a RecTec and was wondering if any of you have actually installed a door gasket or door latch clamps? If so, what are the results?

Comment

Hi David, Welcome to the "Pit Nation". I have a Rec Tec and have done most of the common mods including the Gaskets, the Hurd Downdraft hood, fullers earth, oversize wheels. I have the hood clamps but haven't installed them yet. The nomex gasket set is great it really seals it up with the exception of the bottom of the hood. The downdraft hood is also a major plus and helps with the smoke. I am considering moving my shelf up higher so I haven't installed the door latches yet.

Here bis a pic of the nomex. I installed it at night and the light was not the best

I had been using my RT and had to clean the gasket surface to install. I used automotive Brake Clean to clean the surfaces. It worked great.

I think it was well worth the expense and the effort to install. It really tighten the grill up.

Comment

Thanks Marauderer! I appreciate the assist. I think I will install the gasket as winter is basically here now and I could use the efficiency. The downdraft, how does that work? Is it powered?

Comment

Originally posted by davidrewalt View Post
                  Thanks Marauderer! I appreciate the assist. I think I will install the gasket as winter is basically here now and I could use the efficiency. The downdraft, how does that work? Is it powered?
                  David, I answered your question in the other RET thread

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here