Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Grills - Set and Forget fallacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Grills - Set and Forget fallacy

Most people who make good BBQ on a pellet grill already know this, but this is for those who are looking to purchase their first pellet grill.

Pellet grills are not "Set and Forget". While they are easier to use than a stick burner, and you don't need a stack of wood to cook, you do need to operate it properly to get good BBQ.

1. Pellet grills do not produce a lot of smoke at high temperatures (above 275 deg. F). You need to run them at lower temperatures (190 - 225 deg. F.) to get good smoke flavor. I usually run this way for 1 -2 hrs at the beginning of a cook to impart good smoke flavor to the meat. After that, you can raise the temperature as desired.

2. The pellets you use do make a difference. Different pellets burn differently, this affects temperature control and smoke output. A high quality pellet will provide good flavor and control.

3. Different wood imparts different flavors. I use mesquite or hickory for beef. I like to use apple for ribs.

4. Cleanup of a pellet grill is required to get rid of ash. You have to do the same with an offset, it is part of cooking with wood.

5. I check my pellet grill regularly during a cook, usually when I spritz. I make sure pellets are not channeling and that there are enough pellets in the hopper.

6. You have to make sure the meat is always over the deflector shield, if not, you can burn the overhanging meat, and grease will get down in the pit and collect there. It makes a mess, and could start a fire.

I really enjoy cooking on my pellet grill, and tending to it during a cook. It is definitely easier than an offset to manage. It is also more conducive to use in a suburban area, where you don't necessarily have the room to store firewood.

These are the things I have learned after using pellet grills for the last year and a half. The higher end pellet grills will last longer and cook a little bit better, but starting with a lower priced unit is not a bad idea if you want to crawl before you walk, and make sure you like using a pellet grill.

You can also use it like an oven, and having another oven outside is a nice thing to have when you have big crowds and need the extra space.

Completely agree with all of the above. Great point about high-density living as well.

Comment

• dahcopilot
      dahcopilot commented
      Editing a comment
      +10

Great tips, nice outline!

Comment

Just because you have cruise control doesn't mean you can let go of the wheel and take a nap.

Comment

Referring to point number 2, what is your pellet of choice?

Comment

• bten
          bten commented
          Editing a comment
          Academy has the B&B pellets as well. They cost more than HEB, but I think they have cherry.

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m a big fan of BBQ Delight. Think they are the same as B&B, however, I could be incorrect.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          No you are correct!

Ditto on all the above bten. I love my YS640, and learning to use it and tending the cooks (which as you say you have to do) has been fun. My family loves the food that comes off of it.

Comment

I use a maple hickory cherry blend for everything. Before that, it was pecan-cherry, which, since pecan is a hickory varietal, I'm not sure there's much difference. The cherry produces the color, I'm pretty sure, with the MH or the P for flavor. If I want a lot of smoke, I will add a tube with pure mesquite, orange or black walnut, depending on the cook.

All good points. I don't babysit the Grilla the way I would another cooker, but I don't ignore it for five hours either.

Comment

Nice write up and good points for guys looking to get into the pellet world. Your initial assumption "Set and Forget" being somewhat of a fallacy is probably true, but the points you make in your argument have to do with the meat you're cooking and not the pellet cooker itself. I cook on Webers quite a bit, all of which are fan controlled and can make the same argument. I can load them up with enough charcoal to where they are set and forget. Same with my gasser, as long as there in propane in the tank I can cook on it set and forget. My vertical same way. Again the only thing that is not set and forget is the meat itself, be it sprtizing, probing, checking for doneness or color, etc.

Again, not arguing just pointing out that almost all cookers these days, with the probable exception of a true stick burner, can be setup to be nearly as efficient and trouble free as the oven in your home !!

Comment

And thanks for reminding me that I've been exclusively using mesquite on beef too long, and need to switch to hickory for a while to remember that wonderful taste. I've been using hickory only for pork, and stopped using apple. I've got some work to do here, obviously.

It's nice to have my personal conviction agreed with, as Troutman points out, that with the proper attention to details you can approach 'set and forget' with all your cookers. It's in the mods, and if you find those fun, then welcome to that world, I'm sharing it with you.

And if you really want set and forget, just go buy. I don't think at-home cooking is, ultimately, ever meant to be 'set and forget'. Not while we can still enjoy it as an activity, not as an automation.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Electric pressure cooking is pretty set and forget, but it’s also pretty fast, so don’t forget it for long.

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack I picked up an Insta Pot Lux a couple months ago but it's still in the box. I figured out I want a Duo for low/high pressure before I opened it. Followed the frenzy and a sale before I looked at the model lineup. I'll have to learn to watch paint dry and the grass grow, I guess.

I agree with all of the above points. I've learned to think of pellet pooping as more of a "set but don't forget" situation ... no going to bed and waiting to see what happened until morning for me. As far as pellet choices go, I've been happy with Grilla Grill's Competition Blend (a mix of oak, hickory, and maple) and I keep a selection of BBQr's Delight pellets on hand and available for use in a smoke tube if needed.

Comment

nice summary!

Comment

All true! Well said.

Comment

I clean out all the ash with a shop vac after 12 hours. If I have two cooks for 6 hours, or one cook for 12 hours - I clean at 12 hours (ish).

Comment

Nice post!! I agree with what your saying, especially buying a cheaper/lower end pellet pooper. That’s what I did, used it for about 6 months then sold it. I wanted to try out pellet cooking without investing a ton of money.
                      Found out I really liked it, but it still has its challenges. Dirty fire pots don’t burn right, auger can clog and stop feeding pellets, the TI can get filthy and not read correct box temps.
                      You need to pull as much or more maintenance and cleaning on a pellet grill as any other cooker you have.

Comment

Originally posted by bten View Post
                        The higher end pellet grills will last longer and cook a little bit better, but starting with a lower priced unit is not a bad idea if you want to crawl before you walk, and make sure you like using a pellet grill.

You can also use it like an oven, and having another oven outside is a nice thing to have when you have big crowds and need the extra space.
                        I agree with everything you wrote, except I wonder if some of the lower priced units wouldn't maybe sour a user with a less than optimal experience.

Thanks for the great post!

Comment

• bten
                          bten commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I started with a Camp Chef SE, and really liked the way it cooked. It never gave me any problems. That got me hooked. Then this good deal on a Yoder showed up on CL. The rest is history.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here