Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Yoder YS640 Cleanup

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a lot of progress this morning. Putting it back together once it was on the cart was a lot easier. I started by cleaning the area in the corners of the firepot. Having a good high temp silicone seal is critical:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Firepot Seal.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	570535

The bad thing is that Yoder states that it has to set for 24 hrs before lighting the pot. Maybe I will get to fire it up tomorrow.

I probably read 90% of the posts on the internet. There were a couple of things that I picked up that I took care of during this cleanup.

One of them was to put some high temp silicone on the lid behind the ledge at the bottom, see the area in the black square:

Name:	Silicone on Lid.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	570536
    while this is upside down and inside the lid, what this does is direct any condensation to the inside of the grill and keep it from going down the front. (if you need more information, let me know).

The next thing I did was to install a gasket around the lid. Yoder started doing this after my grill was built. They do, however sell a kit (~$17) that include shims for the upper hinge on the door, and the gasket material. It also included longer screws. The kit and shims fit perfectly. I wasn't that worried about smoke coming from the sides of the doors, the gasket prevents metal to metal contact, and this has been an area where the Yoder would easily get chipped paint.

Name:	Lid seal.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	570537

Another idea I read about was to put some of this gasket material on the back of the counterweight where it normally contacts the pit. There was a little left over from the gasket kit so I used it there:

Name:	Counterweight pad.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	570538

I still have some work to clean up the second shelf and seasoning, but it is almost finished:

Lid closed:

Name:	Finished Closed.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	570539

Lid Open:

Name:	Finishe open.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	570540

I am glad it is done, it was a lot of work, but I feel it was worth it. I like the idea of recovering something and bringing it back to life!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I am so stealing the counterweight pad! My Yoder Cimarron hits my logo every time opened. Thanks bunches for sharing bten!

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely fantastic!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I can relate to that, being an antique car nut.

Really well done!

Comment

Awesome, Just awesome. Having done the same thing, I saw some ideas I can use. My profile picture was purchased used, sand blasted and painted. A labor of love.

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments

Comment

Oh man - nice work. Was fun to follow along - I sense some serious cookin’ about to happen. Enjoy the well-earned fruits of your labor.

Comment

I have done my first cook after seasoning, time to close out the thread..

But wait!

I need to show pics of the food to do it right.

Here are the ribs done, on the pit:

Name:	First Ribs.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	576891

They really came out moist, with a good smoke ring:

Name:	Ribs cut.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	576892

My first impressions are that the ribs were moist, more so than the the ones I did on my camp chef. I got a good smoke ring, and the ribs were very tender and flavorful. I think there was a bit more smoke flavor as well. I really, really, like having the shelf on the front, to handle the food and wrapping. I did not think it would be a big deal, but it is convenient.

I like having the extra space.

I saw some temp swings, but it looks like it is caused by opening the lid more than anything else. The temps did settle down when I left it alone.

I think I have a winner here. I am happy with the YS-640.

Now I can close the thread 😁

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Tremendous job! Thanks for all of this great info. This will help anyone that is looking to do the same. We appreciate it! Enjoy that YS640!!

Great thread. Thanks for sharing

Comment

That was a good thread. I read the original part then kind of forgot to follow. Just read through the whole thing. Only question I have is you went to all the trouble of buying new stainless grates for I assume the bottom rack, then you cooked on the expanded metal rack (which I assume is the top rack). Didn't want to mess up your new grates???

And by the way the ribs look like they turned out really good. For some reason I really like ribs on my pellet pooper, I think it's because the smoke profile is lower and just about right for my taste.

Comment

• bten
                bten commented
                Editing a comment
                I saw that everybody on youtube uses the top grate, so I thought I would try it. And yes, I didn't see any reason to leave them in if I wasn't cooking on them!. I did season them, but am way too lazy to dirty them for no reason....

I have cooked ribs on my gasser (see my gif), but they never were as good as on my pellet smokers.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                I use the top grate to help keep the heat directly off the meat and give a bit of space when I have the opportunity to make that work. Saves me from having to rotate food as much.

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it renders more fat out of the ribs to cook them up there. Spraying them every 15 minutes during 2nd hour helps too.

Great thread and job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here