Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Yoder YS640 Cleanup

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bten I am curious to know which stainless grill grates you purchased from Amazon. My YS640 is brand new, but I know rust could be an issue in the future with plated grates.

Tx Larry

Comment

I ordered these:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I ordered 2 sets. I intend to cut them down to 4 8" panels.

Yoder wanted $28 apiece for chrome plated panels. I thought that was reasonable, but I don't like plated grill grates.

These grates are 19.5" deep. the ones in my Yoder were 19.75. I could not find anything at that length that would work for less than $250+.

The flange holding the grates are about 1" on each side. I know that the grillgrates set is 19.25" long (aluminum really expands) and Yoder sells a Weber griddle that fits the Yoder. The grates are for a Weber.

I need two sets for the YS640. One would work for a YS 480.

They come in tomorrow. I will let you know if/how they work.

Last edited by bten; September 19, 2018, 07:24 AM. Reason: Took out reference to the grate, did not work

Comment

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Great information. Thank you bten.

bten , I'm really enjoying this thread. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Comment

I am also enjoying this one. Great insight into the YS640. Keep the updates coming! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bten View Post
          I ordered these:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

I ordered 2 sets. I intend to cut them down to 4 8" panels.

Yoder wanted $28 apiece for chrome plated panels. I thought that was reasonable, but I don't like plated grill grates.

These grates are 19.5" deep. the ones in my Yoder were 19.75. I could not find anything at that length that would work for less than $250+.

The flange holding the grates are about 1" on each side. I know that the grillgrates set is 19.25" long (aluminum really expands) and Yoder sells a Weber griddle that fits the Yoder. The grates are for a Weber.

I need two sets for the YS640. One would work for a YS 480.

They come in tomorrow. I will let you know if/how they work.

These grates will not work. They just came in. The image show the crossbars at the end of the grate. On the ones I got, they are about an inch back. The bad thing is that on one side, the cross bar fits on the ledge. On the other side it falls inside the pit. The grates will never be level. I am sending them back.

The search continues.....
          Last edited by bten; September 19, 2018, 07:25 AM. Reason: Took out website reference to the grate

Comment

Just to clarify what I am talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong grates.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	567973
            As you can see, the crossbar is not at the end of the grate, like it is shown on the image for the product. When I put them on the Yoder, one crossbar was on the ledge and one was not.

Comment

I have ordered more grates. These were about $8 more a set. The were 19.5" deep, but the crossbar is supposedly only 1/8" from the end. I won't post the link until the get here and I am sure they work.

Amazon was very good about it, and is giving a full refund with free shipping back (I am a Prime member).

Right now I am sanding and painting, not much new to see yet. I still have the end with the smokestack and the hopper to paint. Even without the lid on the cooker and on the hopper, this thing is still heavy and takes a lot to move it around and work on. Looks like it will take 7 cans of paint. I am making sure I get a good layer of paint on this thing!

Comment

Finished painting before the rain comes again! It is suppose to rain for the next 10 days at least (the good Lord gave us a few days break to keep his promise to Noah).

I was worried that I would not get to finish, but caught a break this morning and was able to complete the painting

Click image for larger version  Name:	paint hopper.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	569114

The hopper was the last thing to be painted. I masked it and the main box when I painted it, to minimize the paint going into the cooking areas. all the painting was done in the yard without cover. I did not want over spray on the patio.

Click image for larger version  Name:	paint plates.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	569115

Painted the Yoder Smoker plates on the Comp Cart as well.

I am now going to leave it alone and let the paint set. The rest of the work can be done under cover.

Tomorrow I will reassemble the hopper. After that, I will wait for my son to come over to put the grill back into the Comp Cart. Even with everything off the box, it is still really heavy. I need help to put it back in and not scratch everything I painted.

Last edited by bten; September 21, 2018, 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Hi bten!

You are doing a great job, nice progress!

Did you get a manual for your YS640? There are a few things that must be done using the Yoder that don't seem intuitive, at least to me, that I'll mention:

1.) I am quoting this one directly from the owner's manual, "When you are finished cooking, turn the power switch to the 'off' position. The fan will continue to run for 18 minutes or until the temperature inside the cooking chamber falls below 125* F, whichever occurs first. During this period the cooking chamber door must remain closed. Failure to do so can cause burn back in the hopper."

I almost made this mistake, thinking it would cool down quicker if the door was left open, my bad!!!!!

2.) The unit MUST be unplugged from the electrical outlet after each cook, or at least before you start another cook.

Just a couple of things to be aware of! If you don't have a manual I would think if you contacted Yoder customer service they would send you one, or all the info may be on their website.

I am sure you will really enjoy your Yoder once your restoration is complete, I certainly am loving mine!!

Cheers!!......

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great info man! Thanks for your input! This is becoming a great "How too"

• bten
                  bten commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I downloaded the manual from the Yoder site. It is a 2016 version and mine was built in Nov. 2014. Thanks for the tips.

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know if I'm glad or sad that Grilla isn't the only company that doesn't do a very good job of making manuals from earlier models easily available. I bought my Grilla from a former dealer from when Grilla had dealers, his demo unit. He printed me off the correct manual, which is good, because they are not to be found on the Grilla website, and there are differences.

Got the main body back in the cart today!

first I put the hopper back together with a new controller decal. Numbers are better now

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hopper 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	371.4 KB ID:	570102

I got the body back into the cart:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Back in the cart.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	570103

Did some other minor things today, felt good to get this done.

I did get new grates in:

Click image for larger version  Name:	grate 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	714.7 KB ID:	570104

They fit much better, just a little bit of slack, but they won't fall in.

I got them from amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Note that the cross bar is very close to the end.

They are solid stainless steel, and not magnetic.
                Last edited by bten; September 23, 2018, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Bingo! Nice job let’s get her cooking!

Comment

Looks as good as new! Good job!

Comment

• bten
                      bten commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, hoping to get a lot of years out of it1

WOW! This has been quite the transformation! Nice work, my friend. Looks good as new!

Comment

• bten
                      bten commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, It is getting there, not quite new, but looks a lot better.

Looks awesome.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here