Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating versus Cooking Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating versus Cooking Pellets

The Podcast for Episode 104 just concluded and CandySueQ was good enough to touch base on my question concerning the use of heating pellets in our pellet poopers as usable fuel. The topic hasn't really been discuss a whole lot since I've been here, but it's been debated on other forums ad infinitum. The problem is it always comes down to opinion, why one person or group won't and why the other persons or groups will and do burn them.

The debate really starts with the state of the pellet industry in general. I'm not in the business, I only know what I read and hear. I'm also a Lumberjack Pellet user and have quizzed them directly about it as well. Here seems to be the issue. Cooking pellet manufacturers really are not regulated by any given authority. They are largely self regulated voluntarily through organizations such as the Pellet Fuel Institute which does look at the pellets used for heating primarily for adherence to EPA emissions standards. But again the operative word there for cooking pellets is voluntary, apparently the EPA nor anyone else could care less about cooking pellets so who really knows whats in them at all.

So what's the controversy? Well for one, heating pellets are cheaper, a lot cheaper. I buy my cooking pellets for Lumberjack on a large bulk buy basis for somewhere around $0.37/lb. Heating pellets are half that or less. Secondly, and I'll admit controversially, when you burn pellets above say 250* and for sure above 300*, the burn pot is literally burning at an almost continuous rate, it's quite an inferno if you've ever looked at one burning that hot. Bottom line, so the argument goes, is that everything is consumed in that inferno. There is literally no smoke, the fuel's smoke making ability is long gone by that time. You are left then with the combustion gases as potentially harmful. Unless heating pellets, which apparently are regulated by EPA emissions standards, are producing poisonous gases then why not use them for high temp cooking? Trust me at those temperatures you're not getting any smoke affects anyway, it's just convection heat.

Of course the manufacturers, and I use Lumberjack as my source, aren't going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. With heating pellet consumption down and cooking pellet prices on the rise, they aren't going to volunteer any real meaningful information to either confirm or deny this issue, why would they? What I would like to know, as a consumer is this, is there some test data or scientific fact concerning the potentially dangerous or unhealthy use of heating pellets in pellet cookers?

Sorry for my musing, but this issue seems to have a lot of detractors and very few so called experts who have sound data that would convince the consumer of potentially harmful affects of heating pellet use in cooking food. Just looking for the facts mam, just he facts.

Good topic. I have always heard you should only use good quality cooking pellets and never heating pellets but I don’t know the reason for that.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of it has to do with garbage (softwoods, leaves, trash) making their way into the heating pellets but a lot of it has to do with the economics as I point out above.

Guess it does come down to if the pellets are made from hard wood or soft wood. Fuel wood can be either or both. They are more concerned with the BTU, EPA standards and the amount of ask left over. This article discusses the hard/soft wood and this article discusses it from a different perspective. It also states that food-grade pellets can be either the premium or standard grade as long at it meets certain requirements such as no additives or binders. As Troutman stated, it doesn't look like even the Gov't wants to address the use of fuel pellets as cooking pellets (article). It looks like the individual has to look at the fuel pellet bags to see what the wood is and then decide if they want to take the chance on using it to cook with because it can contain additives and/or binders. It all comes down to $$$. If they addressed it then we would all jump on the fuel pellet for cooking on the cheap band wagon.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lumberjack claims their heating pellets contain pine (softwood) in their blend which is why they don't recommend as a cooking pellet. There are, however, various companies that sell 100% hardwood heating pellets that guys I know use religiously. I just want some sort of further assurance of safety, none really seems to exist.

I kinda "nosed around" on pricing of heating pellets, and after I get them to me, it is almost a wash price wise.

I would be interested in exploring "premium" heating pellets, but shipping, etc is killing me coming to Texas.

Anyone got links to the cheaper hardwood pellets? I will contemplate switching, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in Houston. We have a group here that group buys Lumberjack pellets. You have to buy 500# minimum each which usually lasts me a year. My cost is right at $18/40# bag. That's a pretty sweet deal if you check around, even compared to other fuels. I can provide you with further information if you PM me if you're interested.

Chemical composition would be key here? If we line up a heating and cooking pellet side by side and they are both zero chemicals \ binders from untreated wood source then surely ok?

Problem is could you be sure the supply remained consistently food safe? Even if the food pellet industry is unregulated, if you buy pellets marketed as food safe and they turned out to be harmful you would have a legal avenue open to you. Buying heating pellets and taking your chances seems risky, although appealing in terms of the bucks!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Given that the cooking pellet industry is largely unregulated or self regulated (which means nothing to me), whose to say what's in their product as well. There is no quality assurance whatsoever, how do you know what you're burning anyway? That's my point, we need sound evidence of both types of pellets and their compositions.

Thanks for raising this topic. Without any regulation I'm going to stick with cooking pellets because, as you convey, you really can't control what raw materials they decide to use in their heating pellets. I too mostly use Lumberjack pellets because we have a local group that does bulk buys which makes them inexpensive versus others in my area.

Comment

Wonder if someone has a GC or mass spectrometer that we could test the types of pellets.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the spirit.....

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I doubt even that fancy sounding device can tell composition! And 2 pellets from the same bag could be different...

Troutman is right on many points! I'd point out that PFI has no interest in pellet grill fuel, they don't even have much interest in the bagged home heating fuel market. Export is the huge consumer of American pellets, all shipped by the boatload to Europe.

With that said, pellet grill fuel is "regulated" as much as charcoal, lump or briquettes. EPA and OSHA are federal concerns and each state has regulatory bodies. California has everyone putting Prop 65 warnings on packaging.

Lubrication of the pellet mills is a major difference between heating fuel and pellet grill fuel. That's whether petroleum derived lubricant or vegetable oil is used. However, with a pellet mill that's running well, there won't be oil in the pellets. It really comes down to the quality of sawdust used to make the pellets. By quality, I mean amount of bark. Unlike using barked wood in an offset, where the bark burns off all at once, bark in pellets is throughout the mix. I believe that lends the pellet smoke a bitter, off-putting flavor. It also causes more ash residue in the burn.

If you cook hot and fast and not for any duration, this may not be an issue for you. Low and slow cooking can come to a halt with too much ash. Ash smothers the fire. BTUs are important with pellet grill fuel. Without consistent BTUs the heat is difficult for the thermostat in the pellet grill to moderate. Pellet consumption goes way up with low-BTU pellets, so does ash production.

I've heard of labs that can break down pellets to individual wood components. This is not an inexpensive test. Like I said above, depending on the sawdust mixing process, two pellets in the same run at the same time may be comprised of different wood.

I have resisted the "best blend" mentality of many pellet manufacturers. I think it's important to put out a quality, consistent product that is going to be the same from run to run. I mix my own "contest blend" from two flavors. I know what it is and what's in it. Some pellet manufacturers' packaging doesn't list components at all. They could sweep the floor and make pellets to put in the bag.

Bottom line -- use whatever fuel works for you for whatever reasons you have. Just like charcoal, some will use the generic bagged briquette, others KBB or other Kingsford and many swear by lump and only lump.

I will make The Pit members an offer! I have some Sugar Maple I'd like to move. Call me, you pay the freight, I'll ship you the pellets at no charge. 877-275-9591 Happy BBQ Month Eve!

Comment

Well that's very gracious of you to expand on the topic CandySueQ. I'm still not overly convinced that burning 100% hardwood heating pellets is a bad thing. As I mentioned above, I know a guy that burns them regularly and he claims low ash and good flavor. I'm probably just going to stick with the regular cooking pellets I have.

Also, a very generous offer for the Sugar Maple. I got about 400# of pellets in my garage or I would take you up on that. Do you do large freight drop shipments like Lumberjack? If so can you PM me with some details and pricing? Next go round I may throw business your way.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          9 times out of 10, using heating fuel might be okay. It's that one time that might hurt. If I'm cooking the best quality meat I can get, I'm going to use the best quality fuel to cook it (whatever fuel I'm using and I don't just cook pellet). I've used heating fuel when I'm out of the good stuff and meat's wrapped! I don't let that happen as a rule though.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here