Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh-oh...I've got the fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh-oh...I've got the fever

And the only cure is a new smoker!

My induction into the world of delicious smoked meats began with a friend gifting me a (new) Traeger Junior. That was around 8 or 9 years ago. Since then, I've upgraded the junior to a digital thermostat (it came with the Smoke/Med/High controller ), I picked up a Traeger Texas Grill at Costco about 5 years ago, and finally I added a Traeger Select (also from Costco) around 3 years ago.

Even though I have enjoyed my Traegers, I feel like it's time for me to experience something newer (and better, I would hope).

So here I am, asking the BBQ hivemind for advice and recommendations.

After doing extensive research on my own, and reading many of the other posts on this topic, I have narrowed it down to the Rec Tec 680 or the Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron.

I basically see the Rec Tec as a Traeger Texas, but with significant improvements inside and out. I love all the stainless, the ceramic igniter, the YUGE hopper, and of course the PID controller.

The Grid Iron, on the other hand, has a lot to love as well. PID, big hopper (though not quite as big as the Rec Tec), double-wall construction, the custom powder coat on the lid, the roller grates, the folding front shelf being included, and the ability to double the cooking area by adding the pro shelf unit.

However, if I were to get the Grid Iron with all of the extras I'd want, it would be essentially twice the price of the Rec Tec, and two RT-680s would be more useful than one Grid Iron.

Also, the warranties are very different between the two. 6 years on the Rec Tec, 2 years on the Grid Iron.

And even though the back deck is generally my domain, I feel like the Rec Tec gets the edge in the WAF category as well.

So, (very) long story short, I'm leaning toward the Rec Tec. But! I'm in no hurry (yet), and I am very willing to be persuaded in a different direction.

I apologize for the long post, and I look forward to hearing from those of you who put up with me and actually read the whole thing.

I absolutely love my RecTec 680 and my wife just told me the other day that I can buy another one if I want to. But I'm wanting the new PK 360 grill instead. I think.
    Last edited by DWCowles; August 10, 2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great wife, @DWCowles!

Kathryn

Smoke Daddy's Digital Pellet Pro Controller breathed new life into my Trager Texas which is 10 years old. I think those Rec Tecs look nice.

Comment

I'm halfway in your shoes. I want a pellet cooker for my beef cooks (roasts mostly) and have bobbed back & forth between those same two. I'm leaning toward the Blaz'n myself.

Comment

• dave_trimble
        dave_trimble commented
        Editing a comment
        I keep swinging back and forth on almost a daily basis. I just need to decide what my overall plan is for my bbq station, and decide accordingly. I kind of want to convert a broken commercial fridge into a large pellet smoker, which would take care of my capacity needs. Decisions, decisions.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee what'll a pellet cooker do for your beef cooks that you couldn't do on your other cookers?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ nothing that I can't do really, just on roasts I don't like as much of a pronounced smoke flavor. I'd do prime rib, tri tip, maybe even ham on it. I'd experiment.

One of my pound puppies....
      Attached Files

Comment

Rec Tec is one good looking machine!

Comment

I don't have either…I've got the GMG Jim Bowie. So, I'll just say that I've looked at both on-line and you can't go wrong with either. Based on you being in Washington, look at how many times you are going to cook in colder weather and how insulated you think the cook chamber needs to be to support that. I bought a thermal blanket for my GMG.

Comment

• dave_trimble
            dave_trimble commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on your definition of colder weather. In Western WA, we have pretty mild winters (more likely to get rain than snow). I have, on occasion, run one of the Traegers in ~17F temps with no problem.

dave_trimble I'm in almost the same boat, trying to decide between the Rec Tec 680, and Blaz'n Grand Slam (don't think I need the size of the Grid Iron). Both get great reviews and seem to offer top notch customer service. Living in Colorado (probably similar cold temps to you in WA), I like the double wall construction and built in lid insulator of the Grand Slam to help with winter cooks. I also like the look of the Copper Vein powder coat. If I pick the same accessories on the Rec Tec that come standard on the Grand Slam-
          - 2nd inside shelf (comes standard on Grand Slam)
          - front shelf (comes standard on Grand Slam)

and add in shipping and covers; with the quote I received from Tim at Blaz'n (which includes the lid insulator), the pricing is almost identical. Since the Grid Iron is ~$300 more than the Grand Slam, I would assume the Grid Iron would be $300 more than the Rec Tec.

The biggest positive of the Rec Tec vs the Grand Slam of course is the size- the cooking area of the 680 (before 2nd shelf) is quite a bit more- 702 sq in vs 468; but I don't think I need the additional space as I will still have my Lynx gasser and Smoking' Tex electric smoker for those times I need more space.

A few other items to consider...
          - Take a look at the Pro Shelf Unit from Blaz'n. If you want a bunch more space for low height stuff- you got it. A little pricey, but a possible option
          - I think the Rec Tec 680 is in stock and will be shipped quickly. When I inquired about the Copper Vein Grand Slam; lead time was 4-5 weeks. Of course, may be different with the Grid Iron or some other color.
          - The Grid Iron has the meat probe built into the controller, so the grill will go into a holding mode (low temp) once the meat hits the desired temp. Seems like am interesting option, but not sure how much I would use it.
          - Consider the size differences, specifically the depth. With the rear mounted hopper on the Rec Tec, it is 54" wide by 32" deep while the Grid Iron is 52" wide by 23" deep.

Also, you may want to read through their respective sections on pelletheads.com to get a feel from multiple owners.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Scott

Comment

I see it is not on your list but I've had my Memphis Pro for 2 weeks now and love it. The double layer steel, the integrated food probes, and the controller with wifi make it very accurate and very easy to use so far. I know it isn't a long term review yet but so far it has been revolutionary compared to the Weber Summit gas grill I have been using for years.

Comment

• dave_trimble
              dave_trimble commented
              Editing a comment
              Those Memphis grills are really nice, but I don't think I could justify the price difference to my wife.

Originally posted by CowboyScott View Post
            dave_trimble Living in Colorado (probably similar cold temps to you in WA), I like the double wall construction and built in lid insulator of the Grand Slam to help with winter cooks. I also like the look of the Copper Vein powder coat.
            Copper vein is also what I'd go with if I go with the Grid Iron. It's just gorgeous. I doubt we get as cold as you do in CO. As I said in a response to another poster, we get very mild winters in Western WA (East of the mountains is a whole different story). We only have a couple of months that are routinely in the freezing range. Most of the fall and winter in in the 40s and raining.

Originally posted by CowboyScott View Post
            A few other items to consider...
            - Take a look at the Pro Shelf Unit from Blaz'n. If you want a bunch more space for low height stuff- you got it. A little pricey, but a possible option
            - I think the Rec Tec 680 is in stock and will be shipped quickly. When I inquired about the Copper Vein Grand Slam; lead time was 4-5 weeks. Of course, may be different with the Grid Iron or some other color.
            - The Grid Iron has the meat probe built into the controller, so the grill will go into a holding mode (low temp) once the meat hits the desired temp. Seems like am interesting option, but not sure how much I would use it.
            1. Pro Shelf Unit - This is one of the reasons I really like the Grid Iron. The PSU essentially doubles the cooking area for low-height foods, like ribs. And that the shelves can pull out while maintaining weight is extremely handy, like if my ribs need saucing.
            2. Meat Probe - This doesn't do much for me, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but I would likely never use it. I prefer to go and poke around with the Thermapen to verify what my remote thermometer is telling me. I would hate to have the grill automatically switch to holding temp when only one point in the big hunk o' meat was at temp.
            I'll also go to Pelletheads and see what people think there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I feel like I'm going to come to the conclusion that both grills are great, and I can't go wrong. Then, I'll just wallow in indecision for a while before finally making a choice. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Comment

As for CO vs W WA weather, sounds like we may be slightly cooler, but we get a lot of sun and clear skies so it typically feels warmer during the day but drops down a bunch at night.

Good luck and let us know what you go with. If it's the Blaz'n in Copper Vein, send pics as I haven't seen many clear and we'll lit ones.

Comment

FWIW, I was in the same boat...finally pulled the trigger on a Grid Iron. Have not received it yet (this week maybe) and I'll do a write up when I get it. The deciding factor for me was the internal probe to shut it down when internal temp reached target. Seems small, but the reason for going to a pellet smoker was the ability to walk away...long cooks are an experience, but now that I've done that, I don't enjoy it. I currently use a Camp Chef Smoke Vault which works well, but requires a fair amount of tending...not my bag.

Comment

FWIW, I went through the same process. I also live in western WA and temp swings overnight make long cooks really difficult with my Smoke Vault. Went with the Grid Iron which should be here soon (this week?). It's a bit more $, but a dressed out RecTec is about the same.

Comment

• dave_trimble
                      dave_trimble commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'd love to hear about your experiences with your Grid Iron once you receive it. Which color did you go with?

• choffert
                      choffert commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Went with red, how could I not...it was in Utah as of yesterday, so should see it by the end of the week...

OK guys, after a couple of weeks of waffling back and forth between the Rec Tec and the Blazn Grid Iron, I'm pretty sure I'm settled on the Grid Iron. The shorter warranty makes me a little nervous, but the double wall construction and ability to add the pro shelf unit makes me think the Grid Iron's the way to go. Oh, and the copper vein powder coat, too. I was doing some research (I wanted to find a photo of the Grid Iron's probe port to see how big it was), and I came across this thread in the pelletheads forum: http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=37080.0 (you have to go about halfway down the page to see the problem I'm talking about). I'm pretty sure I still want to get the Grid Iron, but I thought I'd ask if any of you had any words of wisdom given that this seems to be a somewhat common issue. If any Blazn owners want to chime in too, I'd love to hear their thoughts as well.
                    Last edited by dave_trimble; August 27, 2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here