Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maximizing smoke flavor on pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximizing smoke flavor on pellet grill

Hi there I know this is a common problem with pellets but hey I’ve got really young kids and the convenience factor lets me smoke on more weekends than I otherwise could. That said how can I maximize the smoke flavor/ring using just the pellets? I’ve tried going super low (like 150) for the first hour or two but it just doesn’t seem to get the job done.

Pellet tube

Not getting enough smoke into your meat on the pellet grill? Follow our simple guide on how to use a smoke tube in the pellet grill.

These simple devices are easy to use a smoke tube and can add a delicious smoky flavor to any dish that you want to cook-even when grilling your food.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. My father has an older Traeger with limited controls…and an even more limited smoke profile. LOL

I added an A-Maze-N smoke tube and that was a game changer. I think many pellet smokers are a bit too efficient, and thus don’t provide that smokiness that most of us are after. The tube literally changed that for his cooker.

A smoking tube is an excellent suggestion. The quality of pellets does matter too as Cookin pellets, BBQ’s Delight, and Lumberjack are frequently recommended.

There is also this:

Well maybe not, but I did find an accessory for my pellet cooker that has dramatically increased the smoke levels during a long cook. First, I'm running a Pitts & Spitts custom rig. It's a P&S stick burner that was converted into a pellet cooker using the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro hopper, burn pot and PID controller. I

Comment

Does your cooker have the option to adjust the P setting?

Comment

• GreaseShirt
        GreaseShirt commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a GMG and I don’t think 😭

• Brisket Syndicate
        Brisket Syndicate commented
        Editing a comment
        If you had an option to adjust the P setting, that could make a world of difference in the amount of smoke you get. You may need to try a smoke tube to achieve the results you are looking for.

Do you have a pellet smoker or are you shopping?

Comment

• GreaseShirt
        GreaseShirt commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one- GMG ledge

Cook at low temp for 1-1.5hrs.
      If you have an upper rack, put the meat up there to get more smoke.
      Put the meat in cold.
      Tray of water under meat. Spritz meat, water apple cider vinegar, beer...
      Very minimal rub if any. No glue. Thick rub blocks the smoke. Thin coat of coarse S&P works.
      And smoke tube/tray/box if above don't work for you.
      Also, it can be hard to judge the same day you cooked as you've been breathing that smoke.
      Last edited by 02ebz06; July 5, 2023, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• GreaseShirt
        GreaseShirt commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm I did slather with mustard and put on a fairly heavy coat of seasoning. Wondering now if that’s my real problem.

Start on a charcoal grill with wood at low heat or put a small charcoal basket lined with foil with lit coals and wood in your pellet grill for the first 2 hours. I used to do this until I moved away from my pellet cooker (temporarily). IMHO burning pellets are not the same as burning wood even though pellets are made of wood.

Comment

As stated above don’t judge smoke flavor after being by any cooker, even a pellet smoker, until you have walked away for awhile and taken a shower.

Comment

• captainlee
          captainlee commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, next day leftovers always have more smoke flavor to me than original cook.

What pellets are you using? It does make a difference. If you’re using Traeger Hickory for example they are 80% oak or alder and 20% hickory.

Comment

Keep the meat cold until you put it on your smoker.

Comment

I would use the smoke tube as others have suggested. Put it on the opposite end from the stack so the smoke is drawn across the food for you. Also hitting with some spritz and throwing it in the freezer for about 20 mins before you cook is a good way to go too. Smoke is attracted to cold, wet surfaces.

Or you can go with this cool little number from Lodge.

Comment

Too late to suggest the OG Grilla, which produces no complaints on smoke.
              Pellets matter. Part of the matter is the shipping/handling/care of them, which is why I won't buy pellets from a big box store again.

I've gotten good results with the Candy Mix from BBQers Delight (half pecan, half cherry), from Knotty Wood's Almond and Plum pellets (not a mix, but I mix them), and just cracked a bag of Traeger pellets in the Matt Pittman flavor, that made a really nice rack of ribs. Oh, there was also a blend from Lumberjack, competition blend (Maple, hickory, cherry) that I enjoyed.

Tubing works okay, have to be careful with the placement, and such. Add some 16 mesh pepper to your rub, start cold and damp. Maybe spritz every 20 mins in the first hour or two. Maybe see if you can reduce the draw on the smokestack to keep the smoke in longer.

Comment

Tried about every trick in the book with out much difference, smoke tube, smoke daddy, or similar brand, what I'm doing now is I bought a small galvanized bucket, like the one that catches your grease. Drilled 1/4 holes around the bottom and on the bottom. Put 4-5 charcoals in the bucket and lite them with propane torch. After coals are good and hot I place the bucket on the opposite end of chimney and toss in a hand full of wood chunks, Hickory, Cherry, what ever you have. wood chips work also. After your wood chips burn up you can add more as charcoal is still hot. Maybe 45 minutes in. Pre burn your bucket once outside the smoker, to burn off galvanize coating. Before use inside the smoker.

Disclaimer : Never going to be as heavy smoke as stick burner on pellet grill. but better than any other gimmick I tried. Medium smoke yes, Heavy smoke NO.

Comment

I honestly think types of wood (mesquite, hickory, etc) make little difference when it comes to pellets. On a longer cook, like a 12hr smoke, you get more smoke flavor than a quicker burger cook, regardless of pellet choice.

What I started doing and I say it a lot in these types of topics is put your meat on a cold cooker, then start it up. Don't preheat. That thick cloud of startup smoke is valuable, whether a short or long cook, so put your meat in it.

Comment

One thing I could suggest with your current cooker would be to start your cook at lower temps like 190-200.

The other thing I would suggest is that when you are ready to move on from the GMG to get yourself a Lone Star Grillz pellet grill, this is a smoking beast even at 350. We here at AR will always assist you in spending your money.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here