Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mak 2-Star, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heraldstorm got the new firmware uploaded today, so far VERY happy with it. No overshoot on startup. It did run a tad higher than I would prefer in smoke mode (180 average, I prefer 170 for jerky) but that might come down after a few uses. When I changed it from smoke to 225 it immediately went to 225 and ran there no overshoot. Once you figure out whatever your mechanical issue is, I think you'll be happy the firmware seems to be dialed in this time.

I'll test it harder with the fireboard later this week

Comment

• heraldstorm
      heraldstorm commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah things did run a lot more smoothly, but I was still seeing significant overshoot, by any temp monitor you care to look at...the PelletBoss thermocouple, the Tappecue, and I'm pretty sure the K-style thermocouple probe on the PelletBoss would agree. I did just get a FireBoard2, so tomorrow I'm going to run some more numbers. It should make it easier to send data back to MAK. Tappecue makes it a bit uncomfortable to share that data out.

So just a random question, are you watching the temp on the controller physically or just what the wifi is showing for the MAK? The reason I ask is I'm running a graph right now and it's showing 5 to 10 over what the MAK is actually showing on the controller every time I go for a smoke, because it just takes a snapshot in time and not the actual average temp in that time period (the wifi logs every 5 mins or so after the all the graph points are filled, so the only time it's 100% correct is the first 20 minutes).

I had to make some changes on my MAK to revert to factory settings (it kept my altered settings) after the firmware upgrade (which is a good thing long term, but the changes were made this time to overcome something that should no longer exist). Anyway after the hour or so burn tonight I'll actually give the MAK a clean firepot and a fair test tomorrow or the next day. What I found with the old settings I had was the MAK was graphing high, but my Fireboard was actually showing the MAK running where I had it set. If that makes sense?

Comment

• heraldstorm
      heraldstorm commented
      Editing a comment
      The MAK website won't let me reset my password so I can't use the online graph from MAK. I'm sure Ryan is coordinating that as well, but for now, I can't log in to the Makgrillsmobile website.

While a Fireboard is a great addition to the cooking arsenal and ItsAllGoneToTheDogs has great information about readings and expectations, my advice personally would be to stop wasting energy and frustration testing temps until whatever is causing airflow problems is resolved. If smoke isn’t exiting from the top of the hood and/or exhaust vents, something is wrong with airflow. That’s going to drastically affect start up times, overshooting, temperature evenness across the grates, etc. Get that resolved and it’s very possible all your other headaches could disappear. The only airflow the controller dictates is the fan running or not running unless I’m missing something.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy gotcha.

• heraldstorm
      heraldstorm commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy thanks, I'm grateful for that input. I'm at the mercy of MAK, and they first wanted to address the controller issues. Admittedly, I haven't had time to compile my reports and pictures and send the data to them from my latest test, but I will do so this weekend. We'll see what direction they want to go in next.

• heraldstorm
      heraldstorm commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm smoking my first turkey today, and trying out the Fireboard. So far I'm really impressed. The app, the website, and the device itself are all extremely well engineered, and so far the cook has gone splendidly. That said, I haven't tasted anything, so we'll see how it really turns out with the taste test. Sure wish I could have used the MAK, but my Masterbuilt has really done well...at 1/6th the price of the MAK!!!

To all those who've served, a very big Thank You from myself and my family!!! Happy Veteran's Day! My eldest son is a Marine, and I work in National Security, so service to our Country is highly valued in our family. Thank you to all service members and Govt. Employees for your service and sacrifice!

Comment

Hello! i just found this link an read through your story. Terrible experience and i hope you get a resolution. Your commitment is awe inspiring.

Any update to this? I am in the market and am considering the 2-Star stainless.

thanks

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        I sold my 2018 2 star and bought an all stainless model, if you have any specific questions let me know.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to The Pit.

Thanks. I was wondering if MAK can through for heraldstorm. I am 1 hour away from Dallas, their company HQ. I would never have had the commitment heraldstorm showed. Despite living just 1 hr away, and knowing that i could easily return the defective unit, it still gives me pause to invest $4.4K into this grill.

I was hoping to learn the customer service resolution as well as the control board fix before I mads my leap.

Thanks again

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        With you living an hour away, you have a benefit that heradlstorm, glitchy, and myself don't. IF you had a significant issue they couldn't figure out you could get the grill in their hands to get perfect no problem. I live on the other coast so it's not conducive to MAK or myself bringing the grill in. Also you get a significant discount purchasing direct from MAK and picking it up

arthrovine I am not discounting heraldstorm’s experience at all, but it’s definitely an anomaly for MAK brought about by complications from both sides. Heraldstorm has a job that seemed to be very restrictive for him to work with MAK during support hours and seemed pretty busy himself during the issues which drug things out much longer.

Most of the blame falls on MAK, but from my point of view it was a combination of unfortunate events. They released a new controller, had their operations manager leave, suffered supply shortages (like everyone else), all at the same time. I can tell you MAK will work as hard as anyone to make things right. I had a couple issues with mine and they were resolved quickly and I received follow up communications to make sure things were working correctly afterwards.

I think they rushed out the new controller due to supply issues before they wanted to. ItsAllGoneToTheDogs has a new grill with the same controller and had some issues that have since been resolved.
      Last edited by glitchy; March 24, 2022, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        arthrovine +1 on the above. MAK's support has helped me a number of times over the last 4 years, although my issues have never been that onerous as the one this thread relates. Talking me through configuration issues on the phone and sending me replacement parts without hassle if needed. I trust MAK to stand by their customers and products.
        Last edited by GolfGeezer; March 24, 2022, 07:53 AM.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        arthrovine Also, heraldstorm isn’t super active here, which is part of the reason for my response, he hasn’t logged in for over 2 months.

thanks to both of you for your responses. i have been lurking here as well as the other site for some time and have observed Mak is (almost) universally committed to their customers. Make no mistake, I will become a 2* owner: I’m just trying to finalize my own setup.

(as a new member here, i did not see any notifications via email that you both had replied to my post. i only logged back in and through happenstance saw your responses. Other forums seem to automatically notify via email one when there is a post in the active forum)

Thanks again for the responses

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        arthrovine There is a profile Settings page under "My Membership" that has a series of check boxes to let the site know what events you want notifications sent to for. I think the one labelled "Mentions you (username) in a post" controls this.

I just sent you a Private Message (PM) about this setting.
        Last edited by GolfGeezer; March 25, 2022, 12:25 PM.

Well; I was down to 3 PGs. I like much about the MAK; but this story has me dropping MAK from consideration. I love a US company, and their owner's desire to help; but clearly some concerns with the electronics side of the business.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        If you look hard enough, you will find someone dissatisfied with just about any product you can think of and read terrible things about how the company treated them. I generally try to find a true pattern before I write off something unless I know the 'victim' and their full story personally. MAK's not the only game in town though, there are a lot of other great quality pellet smokers. Most of those also have a thread or two like this on some BBQ forum somewhere if you look hard enough.

• rickd972
        rickd972 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks glitchy, I know you are correct. Often we also need to weed through the paid endorsements as well so to not get too overly confident.

Hi folks,
      First of all, I apologize for abandoning the thread. I know several people were waiting to see how things turned out and to see if that might help inform their decisions. Unfortunately, I have decided to part ways with my MAK, and I'm looking for a buyer. The grill just doesn't perform as I feel a grill should at this price point. I've worked with MAK extensively, and without coming out and saying it in so many words, the system is at a point that they've done all they're willing to do. The grill does get up to and hold temperature at the advertised range, apart from very cool temps (below smoking temp). My problem is, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get there. Additionally, the smoke tends to congregate in the pellet hopper, which then condenses, and ruins about 2-3 cups of pellets.
      I don't have the time or patience any longer to fiddle around, but I'm sure someone with more patience (and mechanical skill) than I have could get it working better.

Details about the sale:
      Grill comes nearly brand new. I have never cooked food on it. It's seen about 30 pounds of pellets burn through it. It's never been dropped, dented, caught on fire, or had any kind of oil or grease introduced. I have extra grill grates, a door panel, and a front shelf with a paper towel holder. Neither the shelf nor the door are attached, as they didn't come with the mounting hardware to attach them, but the whole setup cost me about 3800. I'm letting it go for 1500 if buyer covers shipping. I'll even throw in about 60 lbs of pellets and I'll ship to buyer at my cost. This is the 2 Star model, but not the full stainless steel version. It's in great shape, and it will do well for you if you have patience. Please send me a private message if you're interested.

To those who've followed the saga and lent their support, I'm eternally grateful. To those who would disparage MAK, well, while I don't have much good to say about their product, their company and their employees are absolutely top-notch, and they do themselves, their company, and our Country great honor. They are hard working, caring, and dedicated.

To those who would disparage me, well, walk a few months in my shoes first, and then say what you will.

When you buy something over the internet, sight unseen, you are taking a chance. We all pretty much understand that, and when we make the purchase, we are agreeing to shoulder that risk. Sometimes, hopefully rarely, that doesn't fall in our favor. This one didn't fall in my favor. While I'm not rich, I do well enough, and this loss will hurt but it won't put me behind. I am privileged to live the life I do, work the job I work, and benefit from the support and wisdom of all of you in The Pit.

Mostly, I would like to get this unit to someone that can baby it, tinker with it, and hopefully give it a chance to redeem itself. Again, if you're interested, please send me over a private message, and we'll discuss options.

Now, who out there has a nice propane flat top that they can recommend??

Comment

• heraldstorm
        heraldstorm commented
        Editing a comment
        GolfGeezer Thanks for the tips on Blackstone and Camp Chef. I'm also looking at LoCo but that seems a bit spendy for something suspiciously like a Blackstone. I would certainly donate my grill to the Fire Station, but I need to recoup at least some of that money. Thanks again for your advice and support over the past year!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        heraldstorm That is very disappointing that MAK couldn’t diagnose the issue for you. I wish I lived close as I would have been happy to try to help you fix it. That’s not saying I’m sure I could, but sometimes another set of eyes sees something different. This is such a sad outcome on such as expensive product.

• heraldstorm
        heraldstorm commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy Yeah, sometimes that's just how these things go. I am not happy to see it go. It is a VERY well built cooker, and everything else I've had pales in comparison when looking strictly at build quality. I just can't see spending the next 15 years with the kind of problems I'm having with the smoke and airflow. Thanks, though, for all your help and support!

This was one hell of a thread. Took me the entire day, on and off, to get through it. What a bummer. My MAK experience since 2020 has been nothing short of perfect, and I’m sorry you had the opposite experience.
      Last edited by Goldenbear; July 12, 2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

My MAK experience has been wonderful too. I have a new two star. That I got it early this year. There was an issue with the motor. I called in and talked to Dennis. They quick shipped a new motor. I was up and running again in five days from the time I called. Can't beat that for service. Every manufacturer has issues from time to time. The difference between companies is how they respond, and MAK couldn't be better in my experience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here