Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review my new GMG Ledge Prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review my new GMG Ledge Prime

I was last month's Grand Price winner on AmazingRips and I selected the Green Mountain LEDGE Prime pellet grill. I have now used it three times and I'm ready to provide an initial review.

Prior to this, I have been mostly using a Large Big Green Egg and less frequently, a built-in gas grill. Prior to my BGE, I used a New Braunfels offset smoker. I really do like the BGE for its versatility to grill, smoke, roast...whatever...and the great charcoal flavor is a hit with everyone. I've had a little bit of experience watching the use of a pellet grill because my son-in-law in CO has been using a Traeger for years and has produced some really good results with it.

First off, the assembly of the GMG was very easy and straightforward and I could do it by myself. There were also plenty of extra bolts and washers, just in case. And, the startup was simple to follow the instructions. The only glitch was that the instructions for connecting the WiFi aren't complete, either in the manual or their website...so I ended up calling Green Mountain and they have a great guy named Nick and all he does is help people get their WiFi set up. The missing instructions are that you have to connect your phone and app to the grill WiFi first, before it can be recognized by your home WiFi network.

On to the first cooks. I decided to start with very easy cuts of meat. My first cook was a Tri-tip roast. I just rubbed it with yellow mustard and used a basic BBQ rub. I used two probes in the meat, one in the tip and one in the thickest part. I started it at 250F for about an hour to give it some smoke, then turned it up to 350F the rest of the way. I had planned to take it off when the probe in the thickest part got to 125F, and then I was going to give it a harder sear in a cast iron skillet. But I got distracted and it got up to 132 before I took it off. So, I skipped the extra sear, let it rest and it turned out perfectly medium rare, with a nice little smoke ring. (see photo)

This was Super Bowl Sunday, so when I started the Tri-tip, I also put some wings in during the low smoke for about 30 minutes. I just seasoned them with salt & pepper. I pulled them out of the smoker and deep fried them at 375F for 6 minutes, then tossed them in melted butter and hot sauce. These were crispy on the outside and tender juicy on the inside, with the perfect hint of smoky flavor. I didn't get any photos of these because they disappeared so quickly.

The next evening I smoked a couple of pork tenderloins, seasoned with a pork rub. Did the entire cook at 250F and got them to 140F, then put a little extra sear on them in cast iron. Served sliced medallions with a slightly spicy reduction cream sauce and cauliflower gratin. They turned out very flavorful. (see photo).

Finally, I purchased the rotisserie accessory for this unit and cooked a rotisserie chicken. I seasoned the chicken inside and out with a good poultry BBQ rub and let it dry brine overnight uncovered in the refrigerator. Got it set up on the rotisserie, started it at 425F for 15 min, then turned it to 350F for about an hour and then finished it at 400F for a few more minutes to get the internal temp where I wanted it and fully crisp the skin. It ended up with a beautiful mahogany color. (see photo). My GMG package came with one of their smoke tubes and I used this for the chicken because pellet grills don't produce much smoke at higher temperatures. I filled the tube with pellets, lit it with a butane torch, and it produced nice even smoke for the whole cook and this gave the chicken a really good delicate smoky flavor.

The package deal I got in my prize also included a really nice heavy duty cover for the whole unit and 4 bags of different types of pellets.

So far, I am very impressed with this GMG cooker. It has some nice, thoughtful features. I like interior light and the window in the hood that allows the ability to observe your food without opening the hood. It also has a window in the pellet hopper to easily see when pellets need to be added. There is a door at the bottom of the hopper that allows you to easily remove pellets to replace with a different flavor of wood. There is also a little AshVac port on the side that connects to the fire box to easily just stick the end of a shop vac hose in to clean ash out of the fire box without taking things apart inside. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8276.jpeg
Views:	1739
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1178063 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8285.jpeg
Views:	985
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1178064 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8288.jpeg
Views:	986
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1178065 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8289.jpeg
Views:	976
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1178066 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8292.jpeg
Views:	985
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1178067

Always good when the new cooker makes ya happy, bonus points when it's "free"

Comment

Glad you’re liking your new toy. So the prize isn’t the David Bowie like the prize page says? That’s pretty cool that you ended up with the upgraded Prime.
      Last edited by Andrrr; February 20, 2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• ChrisLovesHisBigGreenEgg
        ChrisLovesHisBigGreenEgg commented
        Editing a comment
        The David Bowie is now called the Ledge at GMG...and yes, getting the Prime unit was a nice surprise.

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        Just to give folks a hard time.... Pretty sure it was originally named after Jim Bowie an American Pioneer and not David Bowie the English singer..

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, I didn’t notice that till you pointed it out. Hey, David Bowie could have been a mountaineer maybe?? tstalafuse

Congratulations Chris, nice write up and the food looks great…..but, I sure hope you don’t change your handle to @ChrisLovesHisBigGreenEggAndHisGreenMountainLedgeP rime...

dang, that wore me out.
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 20, 2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, how about ChrisLove’sHisGreen.

Great review! Thank you and Congrats!

Comment

Nice write up, I enjoyed it.Looks like GMG has another happy owner.

Comment

Nice work with the reviews! Cook em Chris.

Comment

Congrats and way to go putting that cooker through it's paces!

Comment

Great writeup! Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Thanks for the review!

Comment

Good review and some great looking food....I will look forward to hearing and seeing how your future cooks get on.

Comment

I was hoping to see some comment, and photos, of rib results by now. You don't like ribs?
                    Last edited by zinfella; February 25, 2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• ChrisLovesHisBigGreenEgg
                      ChrisLovesHisBigGreenEgg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi zinfella...Yes...I love ribs and so all of my friends and family. I have just been a bit crazy busy, which is the reason I am responding to your message from 2/25 on 4/30. And, actually, I am gearing up to do pork back ribs next weekend for Mothers Day. I will be sure to take some photos & post them.

I am loving my GMG pellet burner though. I did a rotisserie boned leg of lamb that had been seasoned inside and out with a paste made from parsley, mint, rosemary, thyme, garlic & EVOO

I am still loving my new GMG pellet burner. One of its unique features is that it can be outfitted with a rotisserie, which I haven't seen on another pellet grill before. And, it is awesome. This photo is of a boned leg of lamb that I did for Easter that I opened up and slathered with a paste of parsley, mint, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and EVOO. Tied it up and threw it on the rotisserie for a couple hours at 350 (I wasn't trying to get much smoke on this). It turned out awesomely pick in the middle and very flavorful from the herb paste.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Love my units from Grilla, but that rotisserie would be really nice to have. Not sure i can talk my wife into another grill though. Great looking cooks!

Comment

So, zinfella wanted to see some ribs. Here are the ones is did for Mother's Day. Also included here are photos of the beautiful squash blossoms that we had for afternoon appetizers...stuffed with herbed goat cheese, dipped in a light batter and deep fried..OMG, they are always a big hit at my house.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• tstalafuse
                          tstalafuse commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mine didn't come with no fryolator attachment! I feel left out..

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here