Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaz'n Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blaz'n Grills

Hi Looking for info on the Grid Iron grill. Anyone have one? Any issues? Looking hard at pellet grills for the spring.

Was looking at Weber but... These grills are on my short list. Blaz'n looks pretty good but there are very little real life reviews.

Mak 2 Star but they are expensive

Grilla Alpha Pro

Lone Star

Thanks!

I have the Grid Iron. No complaints. Considered Yoder but I think they wanted three arms and a leg for the upgraded wheel kit compared to the Grid Iron. I would not want the standard casters on this thing, yes get the pro shelf unit. I've used Pit Boss and B & B (BBQers delight) with zero issues. Mostly Pit Boss since wolly world in town carries them. I can fit 6 briskets but things get tight and you have to separate point and flat to a large degree. It does run hotter near the chimney. I don't have the WiFi, do have the "insulated" lid.

Comment

I've had the Grid Iron for about a year and their Grand Slam for 2 years before that. It's a well built smoker and I've had no problems with it. As @JerodBroussard said, get the upgraded wheel kit, it's well worth it. I also have the insulated lid, the pro shelf unit, and I got the pellet dump which makes emptying the hopper so easy. I didn't get the WiFi either, can't see the need for it or the expense. I use Lumberjack pellets and have been really happy with it. I highly recommend Blaz'N.

Comment

How is the smoke profile? I know pellet grills in general make lighter smoke flavor but are you guys happy with it?

Any issues with the controller? Rust issues? Mine will live outdoors.

I have read a review where the owner said there was no smoke flavor.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          you'll see reviews like that on a lot of brands, there will always be people who just don't like the smoke profile of pellets vs other fuel. The best way to test for yourself if you have a gasser is to use a smoke tube and some pellets for a few cooks, it's not exactly the same but it will give you an idea of what to expect. The biggest difference in brands is the consistency and amount of smoke. I looked really hard at Blaz'n and I think they are really good smokers in their price range.

I load my meat cold and then start the smoker with a small amount of pellets in the pot. Let 'er roll.

Comment

I agree with Jerod - get the smoker up to your desired temp, load cold meat, and you're set. I'm not sure if you're used to another type of smoker or if this is your first one. As was pointed out on the virtual call a week or so ago, everyone's taste is different, but I like the subtler smoke flavor from pellets. I also got the Blaz'n Smoker Pro, their version of a smoke tube but way better designed and better construction. I use it to add a little more smoke if there's room for it, otherwise I set the pit between 225 and 240 and I've never been disappointed with the flavor nor the smoke ring (visual appeal only). Remember that pellets burn so efficiently that you really need to use lower temps to generate a nice clean smoke. Yes, you can set the unit for 300, 350, etc. but you won't get the smoke you would at 225 - 250. I've never had any controller issues with the smoker. I have the cover and I store mine in the garage. I'd be wary of leaving any pellet smoker outside all the time, especially where you are, but you may not have any other options. Let us know what you decide to get.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. What Flat Rocker said.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            my pellet grill lives outside year round, sometimes covered, sometimes not. The key is to fully remove the pellets when it's going to sit unused for multiple days, especially here in NC where the morning is often full of dew and condensation and the afternoon humid. What I do is dump most of the pellets, then crank up to max temp to burn off whats in the auger and help burn off some excees crud in the grill. Pellets and water don't mix regardless of brand, you don't wanna learn the hard way

Thank you for all the responses. Sounds like the Grid Iron is a decent grill.

Still thinking things over.

On one hand I don't want to spend a boatload of money on a Mak and find that Pellet Grills are not for me. On the other if I buy a less expensive model will I just wish I had bought the Mak the first time. I really had such high hopes for the Smoke Fire. It had the potential to be a great grill at a fair price.

@glitchy would you buy the SF again as a Gen2 or would you look elsewhere?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            If you decide on a MAK this and next week is the best time to do so via bigpoppasmokers, this is the only time of year they go on sale and with BPS the points you get with the purchase will pay for some extra grates or wifi or whatever.

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            glitchy see above

Old Glory A lot of it depends on your goals. If you want performance and some noticeable smoke at higher temps the SmokeFire is the way to go. The MAK and Memphis guys will say theirs can sear just as good, but it’s not true. I had a Memphis and have seen enough pictures of food from MAKs (plus go look at Meatheads updated MAK review). They sear OK for pellet grills, but the SmokeFire can run high heat as well as many gas grills - at least the low to mid grade I’ve had experience with.

However, If I wanted primarily a smoker and never planned to do much searing of steaks on my pellet grill, I would definitely think very hard about a MAK. I don’t need the same sear on burgers and pork chops and even my Traegers put all the sear I needed on those, but that’s my preference.

If I’m truly at the root of those crazy temp problems I had last week, I’m still very happy with the SmokeFire. All signs are pointing to the SmokeFire not liking other’s lower BTU pellets for mid temp cooks. If those issues keep reoccur, I will be frustrated. Several hours of testing say it was the pellets and a good chunk of that testing was with 20+ MPH winds.

The only other downside I’ve noticed with the SmokeFire is that is seems to be a pellet hog. This does not bother me and I contribute it somewhat to the smoke levels I feel outperform other pellet grills. But, it definitely burns through pellets faster than anything else I’ve had. My guess would be the MAK uses quite a bit less, the Memphis was definitely the stingiest pellet grill I had. However, I also do a lot more at higher temps with the SmokeFire. More grilling in the 375-550 range and more 275-300 smoking since it still produces decent smoke there when others fall off over 250.

I really hope this helps! If not, I’m not keeping any secrets so ask away if there’s anything you need in regards to info.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't say the MAK sears as good as the SF, with the newest software it grills very good (and over a much larger area than alot of pellet grills) with stock grates but it doesn't sear without assistance from a CI pan or GrillGrates. Also the MAK can take a bit to go from smoke to grilling temps, so even though it can grill I'd prefer to pair it with a flat top grill or gas grill.

Thanks @glitchy. I think I am stuck in analysis paralysis. The way I want to use the Pellet Grill is reverse sear steaks and chops, roasting whole chickens, roasting thighs and split breasts, pork roasts, ribs, butts, and possibly burgers and other grill duties. Lately I have been using the gas grill and cast iron grill pan to sear my proteins after reverse sear or sous vide. I don't mind a milder smoke on steaks and chicken. I do want smoke on the ribs and butts.

I like to reverse sear thick cuts at 225-250 to temp then finish with a high heat sear. Chickens seem to do better at higher temps 325-350 to get crispy roasted skin.

I just want a reliable and durable unit that is truly is a set it and forget it functionality.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm watching this closely to see which way you jump, and how it works out. Best of luck for your decision-making. I may be walking in your footsteps in the coming year, so tread carefully.

Kathryn

Old Glory I don't think we can call the SmokeFire reliable and durable yet with the mods they've made the first year and winter approaching and still outstanding questions about what it's going to do in the extreme cold (reports of the display not working a few times when it first came out late last winter). As well as just being so different than everything else.

Searing is where most pellet grills really struggle. A lot of companies have been trying various things for years and you'll even get claims from owners of various grills saying "What do you mean this thing can't sear? Look at this." Take a look at their picture and then look at pictures from here of all the well seared steaks (and probably your own from the WSCG and/or your gasser/CI combo). Yes a lot of them can make a lightly browned, edible steak, but not a good crusty steak like what many junkies here like.

I've researched so many different pellet grills and been a part of pellet only forums for years. Which really means nothing, except what I can tell you from that is MAK and Yoder probably have about the most loyal followings and the fewest complaints about smoke output. As well as pretty much no complaints about reliability (except for the paint needing regular touch up on Yoders). Die hards of either usually still use a gasser to sear or GrillGrates. I've even seen a couple MAK junkies that have recently taken the plunge into the Beefer/Otto Wilde grills for searing. Unfortunately, I don't have hands on with either. I would still love a MAK if I had the time, money and space for it in additional to the other grills I have (or yet want more than a second pellet grill).

Do you have GrillGrates? If not, I'd pick some up to help your decision. Put them in an oven with a big pan on the rack below them (turn on convection if your oven has it) and set it to 425-450. Let them get all pre-heated well and sear a sous vide steak on it. That will be close to what you are going to get from a lot of pellet grills.

How many big cooks do you want to do? The Cookshack FastEddy PG500 or PG1000 are also well loved and well built machines. They have 4 zones and appear to sear pretty well too, it's just a small area for searing and each 'zone' is somewhat limited in size. You can maybe do 2 packers with 1 each in zones 3 and 4, but you're probably going to want to switch them around part way through.

With the grills you are used to, I'm going to guess you would not be satisfied with the smoke output from the majority of the mass market pellet grills (Traeger, Camp Chef and Pit Boss). It is a light smoke profile even with their 'boost' modes on. I suited myself fine for years and people used to gassers are going to love it compared to that, but most charcoal and wood users tend to find it lacking.

AND don't forget the Lone Star Grillz pellet grill is due out soon.

Okay, with all of that I do apologize for probably adding to the analysis paralysis. Based on what you've described, the SmokeFire probably is the grill you want for end results, but I'm just not sure it meets your durability and reliability requirement. I'm probably over 500 lbs of pellets burned though with only the one strange issue, but there's still a long ways to go to get a proven record. If it does happen to go south, I'll find a way to replace it with something else and will have enjoyed the journey and learning about it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't apologize for honest assessments that make this forum what it is. Another apology and I'll get ya banned, ok maybe a little suspension, ok maybe just a little dutch rub....I'm s semi-desparado.

glitchy Thank you again for the detailed response. I'm ok with light smoke on steaks and chicken. I'd probably get a smoke tube for ribs and Butts if I needed it. I had Grill Grates for my PK but I sold the grill and included the GGs. They worked well. I get a good sear now on the WSCG or gasser and CI. The Lone Star looks very promising. I like my FireBoard so I am hopeful.

If I had cash in hand right now I'd get the Mak. I need to get past the Holidays and see where I am at.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

I have recently heard good things about the Pellet Pro. I do not own a pellet cooker so not sure if this helps or not. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/th...pellet-smoker/

Comment

At the risk of getting a dutch rub, or maybe a dope slap from Jerod Broussard, I don't think it's realistic to expect a pellet smoker to sear steaks, chops, burgers etc. I use my gas grill for those things because that's what I think it's intended for. I wouldn't try to smoke a butt or brisket on my gasser, with or without a smoke tube, even if I could. In both cases I see it as a waste of fuel and not using "the proper tool for the proper job". Even doing something simple like burgers on my Blaz'N would be a waste of pellets compared to cranking up the gasser for maybe 20 minutes, plus I'd have to clean out the burn pot, ash, etc. afterwards (yeah I do that after every cook). It sounds like you have a gasser, so I think you need to decide what kind of cooking is most important to you and make your selection based on that, and not expect a particular rig to do everything well. Even though you feel like you're in analysis paralysis, you're just trying to make the best possible decision you can based on the facts you have. In the end you'll likely be very happy with what ever you end up with and you'll turn out some great food.

Comment

Flat Rocker The LAST thing I wanna do with my pellet smoker is grill, unless I had a Smokefire.

Comment

I have had A Grid Iron for almost two years. No problems other than it seems to run a little hot at times. If I had to do it over I would have went with the smaller Grand Slam with the pro shelf unit, that would have been plenty big. When I want heavier smoker I add wood chips in foil near the burn pot, but generally I like the milder smoke of the pellets. I think Pecan might be my favorite at the moment.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here