Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaz'n Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Old Glory No been trying to catch up with Chris since Thanksgiving. Given the holidays it may be into January before I actually get up there.

• Old Glory
    replied
    The smaller SF is on sale for $799.00 it's getting harder and harder to resist...lol.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Troutman did you ever see a demo of the LS Pellet Grill?

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    I spoke to Chris almost a year ago. I'd like to get some real world feedback on these.

• Troutman
    replied
    Originally posted by glitchy View Post
    Old Glory

AND don't forget the Lone Star Grillz pellet grill is due out soon.
    As I mentioned in another post, I'm trying to setup a demonstration of the new Lone Star pellet smoker this week, if he even has one to show. They are running way behind in production. They waited something like 6 months to get enough Fireboard controllers for their first batch they quickly sold out. Knowing Chris, he has put in his usual amount of homework and will build as good, if not THE best pellet smoker on the market. Granted the MAK, Yoder and Blazin' (and I'll throw my P&S in the mix) are all excellent machines. You won't go wrong with that tier of pellets, they are all built to last.

And, in my humble opinion, would steer clear of the Smoke Fire for now. They got some serious tweaking to do.

Leave a comment:

• HuskerDave
    replied
    I have had A Grid Iron for almost two years. No problems other than it seems to run a little hot at times. If I had to do it over I would have went with the smaller Grand Slam with the pro shelf unit, that would have been plenty big. When I want heavier smoker I add wood chips in foil near the burn pot, but generally I like the milder smoke of the pellets. I think Pecan might be my favorite at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Flat Rocker The LAST thing I wanna do with my pellet smoker is grill, unless I had a Smokefire.

Leave a comment:

• Flat Rocker
    replied
    At the risk of getting a dutch rub, or maybe a dope slap from Jerod Broussard, I don't think it's realistic to expect a pellet smoker to sear steaks, chops, burgers etc. I use my gas grill for those things because that's what I think it's intended for. I wouldn't try to smoke a butt or brisket on my gasser, with or without a smoke tube, even if I could. In both cases I see it as a waste of fuel and not using "the proper tool for the proper job". Even doing something simple like burgers on my Blaz'N would be a waste of pellets compared to cranking up the gasser for maybe 20 minutes, plus I'd have to clean out the burn pot, ash, etc. afterwards (yeah I do that after every cook). It sounds like you have a gasser, so I think you need to decide what kind of cooking is most important to you and make your selection based on that, and not expect a particular rig to do everything well. Even though you feel like you're in analysis paralysis, you're just trying to make the best possible decision you can based on the facts you have. In the end you'll likely be very happy with what ever you end up with and you'll turn out some great food.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I have recently heard good things about the Pellet Pro. I do not own a pellet cooker so not sure if this helps or not. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/th...pellet-smoker/

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    glitchy Thank you again for the detailed response. I'm ok with light smoke on steaks and chicken. I'd probably get a smoke tube for ribs and Butts if I needed it. I had Grill Grates for my PK but I sold the grill and included the GGs. They worked well. I get a good sear now on the WSCG or gasser and CI. The Lone Star looks very promising. I like my FireBoard so I am hopeful.

If I had cash in hand right now I'd get the Mak. I need to get past the Holidays and see where I am at.

Thanks again everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Don't apologize for honest assessments that make this forum what it is. Another apology and I'll get ya banned, ok maybe a little suspension, ok maybe just a little dutch rub....I'm s semi-desparado.

• glitchy
    replied
    Old Glory I don't think we can call the SmokeFire reliable and durable yet with the mods they've made the first year and winter approaching and still outstanding questions about what it's going to do in the extreme cold (reports of the display not working a few times when it first came out late last winter). As well as just being so different than everything else.

Searing is where most pellet grills really struggle. A lot of companies have been trying various things for years and you'll even get claims from owners of various grills saying "What do you mean this thing can't sear? Look at this." Take a look at their picture and then look at pictures from here of all the well seared steaks (and probably your own from the WSCG and/or your gasser/CI combo). Yes a lot of them can make a lightly browned, edible steak, but not a good crusty steak like what many junkies here like.

I've researched so many different pellet grills and been a part of pellet only forums for years. Which really means nothing, except what I can tell you from that is MAK and Yoder probably have about the most loyal followings and the fewest complaints about smoke output. As well as pretty much no complaints about reliability (except for the paint needing regular touch up on Yoders). Die hards of either usually still use a gasser to sear or GrillGrates. I've even seen a couple MAK junkies that have recently taken the plunge into the Beefer/Otto Wilde grills for searing. Unfortunately, I don't have hands on with either. I would still love a MAK if I had the time, money and space for it in additional to the other grills I have (or yet want more than a second pellet grill).

Do you have GrillGrates? If not, I'd pick some up to help your decision. Put them in an oven with a big pan on the rack below them (turn on convection if your oven has it) and set it to 425-450. Let them get all pre-heated well and sear a sous vide steak on it. That will be close to what you are going to get from a lot of pellet grills.

How many big cooks do you want to do? The Cookshack FastEddy PG500 or PG1000 are also well loved and well built machines. They have 4 zones and appear to sear pretty well too, it's just a small area for searing and each 'zone' is somewhat limited in size. You can maybe do 2 packers with 1 each in zones 3 and 4, but you're probably going to want to switch them around part way through.

With the grills you are used to, I'm going to guess you would not be satisfied with the smoke output from the majority of the mass market pellet grills (Traeger, Camp Chef and Pit Boss). It is a light smoke profile even with their 'boost' modes on. I suited myself fine for years and people used to gassers are going to love it compared to that, but most charcoal and wood users tend to find it lacking.

AND don't forget the Lone Star Grillz pellet grill is due out soon.

Okay, with all of that I do apologize for probably adding to the analysis paralysis. Based on what you've described, the SmokeFire probably is the grill you want for end results, but I'm just not sure it meets your durability and reliability requirement. I'm probably over 500 lbs of pellets burned though with only the one strange issue, but there's still a long ways to go to get a proven record. If it does happen to go south, I'll find a way to replace it with something else and will have enjoyed the journey and learning about it.

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't say the MAK sears as good as the SF, with the newest software it grills very good (and over a much larger area than alot of pellet grills) with stock grates but it doesn't sear without assistance from a CI pan or GrillGrates. Also the MAK can take a bit to go from smoke to grilling temps, so even though it can grill I'd prefer to pair it with a flat top grill or gas grill.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I'm watching this closely to see which way you jump, and how it works out. Best of luck for your decision-making. I may be walking in your footsteps in the coming year, so tread carefully.

Kathryn

• Old Glory
    replied
    Thanks @glitchy. I think I am stuck in analysis paralysis. The way I want to use the Pellet Grill is reverse sear steaks and chops, roasting whole chickens, roasting thighs and split breasts, pork roasts, ribs, butts, and possibly burgers and other grill duties. Lately I have been using the gas grill and cast iron grill pan to sear my proteins after reverse sear or sous vide. I don't mind a milder smoke on steaks and chicken. I do want smoke on the ribs and butts.

I like to reverse sear thick cuts at 225-250 to temp then finish with a high heat sear. Chickens seem to do better at higher temps 325-350 to get crispy roasted skin.

I just want a reliable and durable unit that is truly is a set it and forget it functionality.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here