Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Building an outdoor kitchen from scratch -- PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sandman
    Club Member
    • Sep 2020

Building an outdoor kitchen from scratch -- PLEASE HELP

Help me design my new built-in outdoor kitchen

Building a new house. Will have an outdoor kitchen. Need to figure out what to put in it. I’m in SoCal, to be clear, and this will be in use year-round, and is adjacent to the outdoor dining table with easy access to the indoor kitchen. I wouldn’t say money is no object, but I’m willing to pay up for something that will really do the job and last a long time. (With the amount of money I’m putting into this house elsewhere…)

My current setup, freestanding on the side patio of my rental, is a Weber kettle and a PBC. Have been a charcoal guy all my life, FWIW—like the ability to get really high heat for a good char, plus I like the flavor.
    Here’s what I’m thinking / wondering for the new setup:
    • I won’t have a ton of space – 6 lineal feet, more or less. No great place to set up multiple freestanding items – could probably find room for a cabinet smoker or a Weber but not both. Unless I trim back the wing of the counter…
    • For the built-in grill I would love to find a two in one solution. Does anyone know anything about the Hasty-Bake? The review on this site is a bit dated – is there a site consensus on these? Can I really do a good job with both? Would I have more luck with a kamado?
    • If neither of those, what should I build in instead? A grill or a smoker? And which?
    • If I’m getting a standalone smoker, what should I get? Have pellet smokers really gotten to a level equivalent to a PBC? Should I get a cabinet? Should I stick with the PBC?
    • Is there an undercounter smoker that works? The Kalamazoo looks great but $12K is something I’d have to buy without telling my wife. Ever. (Which doesn’t itself disqualify the option…)
    • Reviewing old threads there is a strong opinion in favor of a sink, but given my proximity to the indoor kitchen and the limited space, I’m inclined to skip it. Tell me if I’m making a horrible mistake and what I should eliminate instead.
    • What other devices do I need now that I’m building this out to order? A temperature controller? What else?
  • ofelles
    Club Member
    • Jun 2018
    • Brentwood CA
    • Yoder YS640 on Comp cart
      Klose 20x42 Charcoal Grill
      LSG Insulated Cabinet
      Jumbo Joe
      VacMaster Pro 380 sealer
      FireBoard and Pit Bull fan
      Thermoworks Signal
      Thermoworks Dot
      Thermopen Mk4

If you're looking at a cabinet smoker check out Lone Star Grillz. I can't say enough good about mine.
    https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers

Comment

• Mudkat
      Club Member
      • Feb 2017
      • At a river near me, MD
      • Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5"
        Weber 22" Kettel
        Weber Smokey Joe (2)
        One Grill 45" Rotisserie
        Lodge 5 qt. Dutch Oven
        Lodge 10.5" Double Loop Skillet
        Cast Iron 9" Skillet
        Cast Iron 12" Skillet
        Weber 22 Grill Grates
        Home Built 55 Gallon Ugly Drum Smoker - "MUDS"

Good luck with you outdoor kitchen. I can’t really recommend cooking stuff but after you get all that figured out consider putting these lights up. They are cheap for how much ambiance they add to outdoor spaces. Enjoy!

Feit 48' LED Filament String Light Set

Click image for larger version

Name:	79CC2B6F-DC5A-4133-85CC-53330DF8CD37.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	922882

Comment

• glitchy
        Club Member
        • Jul 2019
        • Central IA
        • Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
          w/ Big Joetisserie, SnS LP, and Vortex
          Weber SmokeFire EX4
          Weber Q1000
          Fireboard 2 Drive
          Anova Precision Sous Vide

If you are looking for a one stop solution and used to cooking on charcoal, I recommend the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. If you've always been a charcoal guy, you probably will not be happy with the smoke output of a pellet grill. The WSCG can do anything and is about as efficient as a ceramic kamado, but more forgiving if you overshoot temps. If you want the whole shebang to start, get a WSCG, Fireboard 2 drive, pit viper fan, medium vortex, and a Big Joetisserie and follow my thread on how to trim it down for the WSCG (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ng-to-try-this). That combo, you should be able to cook just about anything.

Only downside, is you will probably have to get creative mounting it, there isn't a built in model and haven't seen anyone selling mounting kits yet.
        Last edited by glitchy; October 12, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Sandman
          Sandman commented
          Editing a comment
          Really appreciate the suggestion and the link. This all looks fantastic but I'm not sure I'm handy enough to hack that together.

How about this for a dumb question -- I'm completely clueless about how to integrate the third party thermostatic controllers and fans into an existing grill or smoker. Is there somewhere you can point me to that explains it (in small words)?

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          There’s probably great info somewhere here, but this is the easiest and fastest way to see how they work: https://bbqguru.com/productinfo/howtheywork.

As far as the rotisserie I’d bet your contractor would have a angle grinder and could knock the rotisserie out in 20-30 mins while setting up your outdoor kitchen, just need to have the grill there too for test fitting.
      • Red Man
        Club Member
        • May 2018
        • Western Washington

I’d think about putting a Primo XL kamado and a gas grill in the built in. Obviously you’d want to keep the Weber and PBC for occasional use outside of the built in as well .

Comment

• HawkerXP
          Club Member
          • Jul 2016
          • Virginia
          • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
            Thermopops
            Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
            Slo n Sear
            Cold beer

Weber kettle and a PBC sounds good to me. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Attjack
            Club Member
            • Aug 2017
            • Primo XL
              Weber 26"
              Weber 22"
              Weber 22"
              Weber 18"
              Weber Jumbo Joe
              Weber Green Smokey Joe (Thanks, Mr. Bones!)
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Orion Smoker

DigiQ DX2
              Slow 'N Sear XL
              Arteflame 26.75" Insert

Blaze BLZ-4-NG 32-Inch 4-Burner Built-In
              - With Rear Infrared Burner
              - With Infrared Sear Burner
              - With Rotisserie
              Empava 2 Burner Gas Cooktop
              Weber Spirit 210
              - With Grillgrates
              ​​​​​​​ - With Rotisserie
              Weber Q2200

Blackstone Pizza Oven

Portable propane burners (3)
              Propane turkey Fryer

Fire pit grill

You need to carve out more than six linear feet.

Comment

• Sandman
              Sandman commented
              Editing a comment
              Done. Looks like around 10 in latest drawing. Now what?
          • tbob4
            Charter Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Chico, CA
            • BBQ's
              Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
              Cherry
              Peach
              Apple

Don't own one but you are in SoCal and I have been admiring these BBQ's for a long time:

http://azbbqgrills.com/page-7/

Comment

• Sandman
              Club Member
              • Sep 2020

So the good news is upon further review, it looks like I have more like 10 lineal feet. That may give me the ability to separate smoker from grill. If going separate, would you get a Weber kettle, or a kamado, or something else? And then what would you do for a smoker? I'm not sure where the bang for the buck in terms of quality / attention required / price point is. Cabinet smoker? Pellet? Something else entirely?

Apologies for all the noob questions and thanks for all the help!

Comment

• Attjack
                Club Member
                • Aug 2017
                • Primo XL
                  Weber 26"
                  Weber 22"
                  Weber 22"
                  Weber 18"
                  Weber Jumbo Joe
                  Weber Green Smokey Joe (Thanks, Mr. Bones!)
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Orion Smoker

DigiQ DX2
                  Slow 'N Sear XL
                  Arteflame 26.75" Insert

Blaze BLZ-4-NG 32-Inch 4-Burner Built-In
                  - With Rear Infrared Burner
                  - With Infrared Sear Burner
                  - With Rotisserie
                  Empava 2 Burner Gas Cooktop
                  Weber Spirit 210
                  - With Grillgrates
                  ​​​​​​​ - With Rotisserie
                  Weber Q2200

Blackstone Pizza Oven

Portable propane burners (3)
                  Propane turkey Fryer

Fire pit grill

Personally, my setup (still a work in progress) consists of a Primo XL for smoking and charcoal grilling, a 4-burner Blaze gas grill, an EVO flat top grill, and a 2-burner stovetop. I plan to build in the kamado and the EVO. I have a 4 seater bar at the opposite end of the outdoor kitchen and plan to build in another on the right side.

A sink is a must IMO. Counterspace is too. I also have 2 refrigerators on the opposite end of the kitchen which is really nice to have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201005_210916.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	923863

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Show off

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just trying to give him a real-life example rickgregory! When I started building I had a Weber 26 as my main grill, some portable auxiliary burners, and a Blackstone pizza oven in there. Then I added a Weber Spirit gas grill. As you can see that all changed. I now have an auxiliary grill area 15 feet behind the kamado where the pizza oven is along with a Weber kettle of each size. I plan to lay some pavers in that area to better define it.
              • rickgregory
                Founding Member
                • Aug 2014
                • Seattle, WA

So much of this will depend on what you want vs what any of us would put there, but if I were doing one I'd use this build as inspiration: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nally-complete

Rather than think in terms of what kind of cooker, think about what cooking. After all, you'll have your kitchen, so the question I'd ask myself is "why do I want to build an outdoor cooking area? What do I think I'll do there that makes a kitchen necessary?" What I mean here is that you can just have a smoker outside and smoke things. Yo udon need a full kitchen for that. But if you tend to live out on the patio during decent weather and want to be able to do everything from cook and eat breakfast to grill a quick dinner to smoke, that's one setup. If it's mostly wanting to smoke, occasionally grill and not have to run back and forth to the kitchen to get food out of the fridge or to wash up, that's another. The former likely has a griddle, maybe a small gass grill and a smoker. But it might not have a sink or a fridge. The latter would have a sink and a fridge.

TLDR - put some real thought into how you want to use this and how it relates to your particular layout - where the kitchen is, etc.

Comment

• wswilmoth
                  Club Member
                  • Sep 2020

Check out the Cajun Grill Preaux https://www.bbqguys.com/cajun-grill/...charcoal-grill I am in your boat and have about 10’ as well. You would lose half of the grill when smoking with the Cajun Preaux so keep that in mind. If you can place the grill at one end I would also think very hard about the M grills M1. You need to allow room for the fire box door to open however and so it would need to be placed at the left end of the island.

Comment

• Sandman
                    Club Member
                    • Sep 2020

Hi everyone -- sorry to have gone radio silent but we were mulling things over at this end. Thank you all for your input! We've figured out a few things with your help and I wanted to ask for more, if that's ok.

Meathead strongly advised me *against* building in either a smoker or a grill (fear of commitment, AFAICT) and *in favor of* having separate units for grill and smoking. I've taken both of those to heart. We've also redesigned the layout some to provide more space. Here's where things stand:

I will have about 17 lineal feet, less 3 feet for a built in gas grill (wife and her designer are insisting) and however much space I need to carve off the end of the counter to accommodate my (TBD) charcoal grill. The kitchen will be located just outside the sliding glass door that leads to the indoor dining area and 30 feet or so from the kitchen. Not sure what that means for the need for an outdoor fridge, sink, etc., but I'm going to have the space now. One of the linked examples had pullout drawers for igloo coolers -- is that something people recommend in lieu of or in addition to a fridge? I'll need some fuel storage, and utensils obviously, but otherwise I would love the benefit of others' experience.

As far as rickgregory's question about how I expect to use it -- we're in SoCal, so we could pretty much live out there if we wanted to, but we have a lot of indoor cooking equipment as well (sous vide, pressure cooker, etc.). Generally we use the tool that seems appropriate rather than always leaning to outdoor cooking. Honestly though I've been a city dweller my entire adult life and this is my first outdoor kitchen, so I'm not sure if I'll end up camped outside 300 days a year or not. (Note that I have two kids under 8...)

And then there's the equipment itself. Is there a product out there that is a significant upgrade on the Weber kettle as a grill? Has anyone used the Hasty Bake or the Englebrecht with the movable grate? If I am planning to also have a smoker, do I get much benefit from a kamado? (I use dual zones on the kettle as SOP right now, and my wife wants to buy an Ooni for pizza.)

What pure smokers should I be looking at if I'm looking for better performance and more flexibility than my current PBC? I don't want something that will require constant attention, but I can do more than the PBC requires. Or am I fool to get anything but a pellet smoker?

Comment

• barelfly
                    Club Member
                    • Dec 2017
                    • New Mexico
                    • Smokin-It 3D
                      Weber Kettle with an SNS
                      Masterbuilt kettle that I call the $30 wonder grill
                      Bullet by Bull Grills gasser
                      Anova WiFi sous vide machine
                      Thermoworks Thermapen and Chef Alarm

I have a built in gasser, love it. If you do the research and find what you want, I don’t see an issue with a built in. If you will be in the house for a some time especially. And even if you leave, you could take it with. Just my thoughts. When I had my Weber genesis, i cooked with it in the same place that I built the outdoor grill area. And I Also have a side burner now, which I do use often.

And, even with my built in gasser, I use it for other things, wok cooking, griddle cooking with the cast iron griddle I have. Being in SoCal, you could do a lot of cooking out there. I purchased a stand up propane heater for my patio space to extend the use and it’s come in handy. I just went and exchanged three propane tanks because the patio is going to be a saving grace this winter with all that’s going on.

I also have Weber kettle, and love what it brings to my cooking area. Along with an electric smoker. With all of that, I can do some good stuff in the backyard.

so just research, draw out ideas, look at photos here and elsewhere and see what you like and dislike and build from there.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                      Club Member
                      • Mar 2020
                      • Muskego, WI
                      • Current cookers:
                        Rec Tec RT700 "Bull" pellet cooker
                        Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
                        Weber Genesis 3 burner gas grill w/ rotisserie
                        Charbroil Grill2Go gas grill
                        Weber 22" Performer Deluxe kettle grill w/ThermoPro TP-20S temp monitor
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        SnS Deluxe
                        Vortex
                        The Orion Cooker convection cooker/smoker (two of them)
                        Blackstone 17" griddle
                        Joule Sous Vide circulator

Favorite beer: Anything that's cold!
                        Favorite cocktail: Bourbon neat

Maybe a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill would be a good choice for you? Super versatile. Add that to the gasser and you could do anything I think.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                      Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                      See more
                      See less
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                      The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                      The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                      The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                      The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                      We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                      Stylish and Affordable
                      Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                      A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                      Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                      GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                      The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                      This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                      A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                      FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                      Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                      Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order