Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new grilling station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the encouragement. My wife and I built the house 24 1/2 years ago. The inside has transformed over the years from basically being a spec house. Now it’s time for the yard. This is part of a larger project that includes resodding the lawn and updating the irrigation system, and creating a butterfly garden that will transition into a Florida sub tropical garden on the opposite end of the pool from "The Pit". Hopefully it will all be done well before the Memorial Day weekend family reunion. I’ll be happy to share it all with you. Well, gotta get to work. Have a great day, all!

Comment

Can't wait. You can string party lights from that STOP sign to the pool screening. Or maybe one of those florescent OPEN signs, so the neighbors know when to mosey over.

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a darn good idea. You’ll know you have found our castle when you are driving up or see it from the air 😎

No one showed up today 😡. Rain for the next several days 😡

Comment

Work has begun... Click image for larger version

Name:	C0CB5A3B-1A8F-4F5F-860F-004003110BC5.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	643553

Comment

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a damn fine looking ditch, if I say so myself. 😏

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          Not no way not no how can anyone pose a defensible argument that that is not one damn fine looking ditch. You have a good eye, sir!

Looks close to the street! Better not turn your back or the meat will disappear.

Comment

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. Much farther than it appears. But then, hungry varments are much closer than they appear 🤔

Click image for larger version

Name:	442B6C67-A98F-451B-8AA8-F2BB489EC2CC.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	644034 These new rocker/swiveling chairs just arrived. My wife picked them out for the new...GRILLING STATION.

Comment

Name:	74CF958B-AA0A-4A49-B710-D087C117C65E.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	646237 Moving along...

Comment

• Bobby Q's
            Bobby Q's commented
            Editing a comment
            I am planning on something very similar. What size is that pad and do you mind sharing how much it cost to pour?

Looks like it's coming together nicely!

Comment

Man I'm surprised your subdivision is letting you do that. It would take an act of congress to get mine to agree to it.

Are you going to extend your pool screened in area?

Comment

• Willard
              Willard commented
              Editing a comment
              For now I’m not screening it but I did say in my request to the HOA that I may want that in the future. The HOA was not a problem but I’m sneaking it past county permitting. I’ll probably get in trouble sooner or later. Screw up now, ask for forgiveness later.

• Willard
              Willard commented
              Editing a comment
              If I do screen it I will go back to the HOA and county for permitting. I’m a little bold but not that bold. I’m not adding electricity or plumbing but I hope to make it much more sophisticated in the end. I want to be pried out of there to get me into my casket. It’s also part of a larger entire lawn renovation project. Sod on Friday and butterfly garden installed soon.

Name:	53CAE009-4D27-4F8E-97D1-45F25B6C9409.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	646446Click image for larger version

Name:	F29784D5-53A1-46D1-BF8E-422DF3689101.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	646445Click image for larger version

Name:	9594150D-8BC2-42A8-BCA3-F9A9657750A6.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	646444Click image for larger version

Name:	CCA2E54A-E50B-4754-B6FA-A61C99DE1820.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	646443

Comment

Wow! A lot of dirt in those pics! Cannot wait to see it with the new sod and landscaping.

If you don't mind my asking, since its now been poured over in concrete, what was the trench for? Was that just part of a footer trench for the new concrete pad? I thought it was a trench for a pipe or electrical, but you just said you did not add electrical...

I would put a flood light or something similar under the overhang at the corner of the house in that area to light it up at night, for those overnight smokes when you need to go check the brisket or butt late at night. When I added a pavilion by my pool here, I already had preexisting electrical out by the pool from before I bought the house 22 years ago. There was an outlet on what was originally a fence post, tied in with 2 lamp posts. I put a corner post of the pavilion where that outlet was, and redid the conduit and box so that I can run up the post and around the pavilion to where I wanted switches and power.

I cannot see a building permit from the county being needed for a concrete pad out in your yard. It's not really a structural part of the house or anything, and is more under the category of landscaping. I sure don't see building permits out in the yard when I see people getting driveways and sidewalks repaved, at least not around here.

Besides, permits are just a ploy for more tax dollars...

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                My BIL's planer shed at his mill in Moulton caught fire a few years ago and when he went to the county for a building permit he said they laughed a little and told him "it's your building, do it however you want". Your last sentence says it all!

jfmorris Thanks for your interest. Thanks for the idea about the flood light. I just may do that. Your point about the permitting is precisely the way I reasoned it, right or wrong. The trench was to extend the gutter downspout at the corner of the house. It was run under the slab and pops off into the lawn. Just inside the pool screen door is an electrical outlet that I can use for now such as plugging in my rotisserie. The plan for now is to place the grills at the end farthest from the pool. It will be an area for socializing as well as cooking. My Miss Terri is more excited than me I think. She keeps sending me pictures at work with her furnishing ideas, umbrellas, etc. It’s 18’ x 16’ so it adds a lot of space to the end of the pool. It’ll be great for the family reunion coming at the end of May. Ok, I’m just rambling from excitement now!

Comment

• Willard
                Willard commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris I also want to express my sorrow for your fellow Alabamians who lost their lives from the tornado. So sad. I feel guilty sometimes when my life is going well while others are going through such hard times.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Willard yes, we have had a lot of bad weather up here, with loss of life and property to flooding, followed by this most recent tornado. The tornado was not near me, but I've been watching stories about it on the local news all week. It does make one realize that we need to be grateful for our blessings today, as you never know when something like that could come along and take it all away.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Willard it sounds like you could put a temporary light of some sort out there, if an outlet is just inside the screening for the pool. I've got strings of those outdoor lights hanging around my grilling area (pavilion), plugged into a switched outlet, and it provides a decent amount of light. Something like these, except mine are older and incandescent Edison bulbs:

jfmorris I like those. As a final touch to the lawn I think we are going to add garden and path lighting all around and possibly extend it to the grill pad. That won’t be bright enough for cooking. The nights are bad for mosquitoes so my cooking after dark will be limited. That’s why I may end up screening it in anyway. They are bad no matter what time of year. There are ways of battling them though. Citronella lights, citronella plants, giant garage fan, pet dragonflies...

Comment

My Miss Terri is quickly turning my GRILLING STATION into a PATIO with a few grills on it. Was not my vision. Follow up pics may be embarrassing 🤨

Comment

Name:	AE7BD4A0-491B-4C0A-90DB-C1A5A5C40BA6.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	647174 All done! I’ll let you know when Miss Terri’s Tea Room opens 😐

Comment

• Willard
                    Willard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And what the hell is up with my avatar?

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha. So your grills end up in the garage after all this! That would be very sad indeed!

Was the plan to build an outdoor kitchen with some sort of built in or stationary counters or cookers? Or you were just looking for a nice place to spread out all your grills, maybe add something another cooker or two, and hang out?

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you have your grills out there in the tea room, do you have any concern about them ever walking off, with the yard open to the street like that? Just curious as to whether that is an issue in your area.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here