Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started work on our new patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like that is going to be a gorgeous patio. Congratulations on the build.
    By the way, around here it wouldn't be a home remodeling project if at least one sub didn't disappear.
    I just have one question: given how big the patio is, where are you going to put grills and smokers?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! No grills on this patio, they will be placed outside. This is a seating/hangout area only. Feels safer considering it's all wood.

Lookin good!

Comment

I don't know how I missed this thread last week! It's looking good, Hank. You are going to love it when it's done. When I started building mine last summer we had some outrageously hot weather for days. I could only work a few hours each day with lots of breaks.

Question: Are you designing a "picture frame" type border design? The ladder framing on the edges and elsewhere would suggest that. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Yes, we will 'frame' it by having two boards on the outside edge run perpendicular. Think it's gonna turn out nice.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik - I'm sure it will. I did that on my deck build. It really adds a nice design element. I used it to avoid any butt joints between deck boards.

Barn?

Glad I have a spot to stay when I come visit! LOL.

Looks like the project is coming right along, man. Looking forward to following this one.

Comment

Looks like it will be fabulous & massive! No grills? Not even an itty bitty gasser mebbee?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't have a gasser, don't plan on buying one either :-)

Looks nice Henrik ! You are very talented.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Skip! I gotta give a ton of credit to my wife doing a lot of work too. It's a fun team project.

Wow! The World of Henrik is an ever expanding kingdom. Love the deck idea. Have the same concerns about the tree but it seems fairly close to the edge of the deck. We had a similar application but left the flower bed (about a 5' circle) open at the base of the tree for oxygen and moisture to get to the roots. At any rate there are matts you can put down to accommodate a Weber kettle or something smaller close to your back door. But I'm sure all the armchair quarterbacking up to this point is getting tiresome. Carry on, can't wait to see the final result

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Steve! Yes, I'm really looking forward to getting this done. Gonna pour myself a stiff drink, sit down and just enjoy it.

Looks great Henrik! Keep us posted on progress.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          You betcha!

So, here's a little update on the build. Talk about a giant wooden puzzle! Everything's done except the stairs up to the upper level. Everything's cut and measured, but I ran out of screws...
        Anywho, I'll fix that in less than an hour once I've gotten new screws.

After that, it's time to build the deck, finallly! That'll happen mid-week next week.

Building 3 steps all around

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9560.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	1069980

Getting the steps finalized

Name:	IMG_9563.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	1069981

Name:	IMG_9564.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	1069979

Name:	IMG_9565.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	1069982

It measures 8 x 8 meters. Really looking forward to completing it in the next few weeks. It's been a ton of work, but it's looking good, and is built to support an elephant or two :-)

Comment

I really like the wrap around steps,,,,really adds a lot of style to it,,,
          I hope that tree doesn’t grow as fast as my 2 boys did,,,😂🤣😂

Comment

So, the deck is done. Here are a few photos. I'm exceptionally happy with how it turned out. TIme to pour myself a gin & tonic!

Here you can see how it 'blends' into the existing patio to the left. It's been there forever.
            What I did was replace the floor boards and then custom build the steps leading up to it.

Name:	patio-2.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	1083500

Here you can see the wraparound steps. The "hole" in the bottom right corner is covered now,
            I really am done with the whole thing :-)

Name:	patio-3.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	1083499

A view from the garden

Name:	patio-4.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	1083501

A nice cutout for the apple tree

Name:	patio-1.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	1083498

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Great work there Henrik!

• RamaJama
              RamaJama commented
              Editing a comment
              That's gorgeous. Love the Apple tree!

Fine lookin' deck!

Comment

Very nice work.

Comment

That is a gorgeous patio. Congratulations on a job well-done.

Comment

Beautiful! Have two gin and tonics!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that you mention it…

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here