Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a molcajete or mortar and pestle that you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a molcajete or mortar and pestle that you like?

I have a couple of mortar and pestles. One is ceramic and the other is marble. The former is medium-sized and the latter is fairly small. So I'm thinking of adding a molcajete big enough for guacamole. I see some decent looking molcajetes on Amazon in the $30 - 50 range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shutterstock_378385819-1.jpg?w=1000.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	974441

No. I do have one that I was gifted several years ago, but it's ceramic and both pieces are smooth. It's difficult to grind with it because whatever I put in it just slides around.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Was gifted a mortar and pestle, but both pieces are so smooth that I couldn't grind anything and gave up on it after one use.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      This is also my issue, I was gifted smooth mortar and pestles too. I guess this a common problem.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I've found that gentle pounding in addition to grinding works well in both my molcajete and granite mortar and pestle from Import Food.

Made in Thailand of the highest quality 100% hand-carved solid granite, this durable mortar and pestle is an important tool for Thai cooking as well as around the world.

I got a molcajete years ago, made of pummice stone. They did warn you that you need to condition it to get a lot of the grit worked out before using it for food. They recommended dry rice. The rice ground into the holes and would not come out, and I never did get it to the point where I wasn't getting grit. I gave up, it went in the trash. Not in a hurry to get a new one. So smooth is bad, but although this one was rough, I would not recommend it.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw some complaints in the reviews on Amazon along those lines. I'm assuming if the molcajete is a good one there's a way to condition it properly.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      My molcajete was a gift from someone I am no longer in contact with; so, I don't know where it came from. However, this person was part Mexican. So, I assumed she knew where to get a good one. I seasoned it by grinding pepper corns, and it worked well. I've had it for about thirty years and have not had a grit problem.

I will be watching this thread closely. Like Attjack, I'd like a large one for guacamole. I do have a smaller cheap wooden one that is narrow and deeper than most that I use sometimes for pesto.

Comment

I always wondered how you cleaned mushed up avocado out of one of those coarse M&Ps.

I have a smooth marble one. I tap the spices gently until they start to break up then you can grind them.

I was looking at Thai versions to grind up stuff for Thai stir fries and curries.
      Last edited by Old Glory; January 15, 2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I would think a sprayer with hot water would work well. And a bristled brush.
        Last edited by Attjack; January 15, 2021, 04:59 PM.

My small m&p is formed from granite, slightly rough bowl surface, roughly 4" wide mouth, 3" deep. I use it mostly for grinding spices, sometimes small batch of smashed garlic. Works great with just enough friction. Have a small brush to "dust it out".

Also have the molcajete as you describe, lava stone. Did the rice and oil and garlic thing to season it and don't get any detectable grit anymore. Took a while with the rice to get it there. When I make guac in it there are still cavities that hold mush when done so use a slightly stiff bristle brush to clean out the green. I just accept that as part of the "charm" to emulating authentic.
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; January 15, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I picked up a very heavy stone one at Costco years ago. It was only $15 and it’s worth it’s weight in gold!

Comment

I have two. One small, one larger. Both ceramic and smooth. So I'm going to show my ignorance and ask "why use these instead of a food processer? Is it a "cool" factor or do they add something to the dish you're preparing?

Comment

I use a spice grinder for spices. I usually see molcajetes used as in a dish that is fantastic.

Comment

• SmokingPat
              SmokingPat commented
              Editing a comment
              What style grinder? I have devices you could call a 'flying blade grinder': a coffee grinder, a mini-processor for food, and the usual food processor.
              I'm looking for devices that grind with two opposing rough wheels.

• Mark V
              Mark V commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a basic grinder you wouldn't be interested in. Try a "molcajete" in a restaurant sometime and you will thank me.

I use a magic bullet

Comment

A cast-iron pan and a mallet works for me.

Comment

Wile E coyote just rolls a boulder off a cliff onto his spices.

Comment

Find a good Mexican grocery or meat market. I have a 6” model made of lava stone, had it for years. I’ve seen them larger but have no need for one personally.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea. I have a tienda in walking distance.

I bought a small ceramic one and found it useless for the same reasons posted above. Now I have a decent sized one made from granite. No need to treat it and does a great job with spices, along with making curry paste

Comment

I gave up on using a mortar and pestle after noticing some hand discomfort. I now use one of these and it's also great for small batches of sauce.

(Posted from my phone)

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a good mini food processor. But tend to use the magic bullet plus or whatever the big one is called for spices out of convenience.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here