Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a molcajete or mortar and pestle that you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco has them on occasion, which is where I got mine. It is the heavy, natural stone - I don’t recall what it is and I’m at the lake house for the weekend, so can’t get the label out of my recipe book.

That said, I like it. It is big enough to do some table side guacamole, or the surface is rough enough to be able to grind up spices. If I had Popeye forearms, I’d even grind up some corn to make legit corn tortillas.....but that’s too much work

A quick search - I think this is what I have from Costco. I don’t remember it being this cheap, but it’s heavy and I think the same size. I can check when I get home if you would like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4A739311-684A-4481-8150-52393D3FD9D0.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	974812

Comment

I have this granite one....bought it based off of a Serious Eats comparison. Its good to make 3-4 avocados worth of guac. The flavor is so much better smashing and bashing the aromatics than cutting them.

3 Avocados
      1 Jalapeno/serrano chile
      1/4-1/2 med onion
      1 handful cilantro

Smash all aromatics into a paste then add avocado. Smash that and season with lime juice and salt to taste

When I bought it a couple of years ago price was like $40-$50, its gone way up

I also have a small guy I use for spices when I don't bust out the grinder

Comment

Use a coffe grinder for my spices and this wooden one for making mostly curry paste.

Name:	20210117_085928.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	975267

Name:	20210117_085650.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	975268

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Gravity fed.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          You could make mofongo with that thing.

I have this one and love it.

Name:	Screenshot_20210117-115946_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	975416

Comment

I got one of those cheap lava stone molcajete and only tried using it a couple of times. I don't have the patience to "condition it".

I do use a mortar and pestle for fine grinding. It's especially easy to make gobs of garlic paste.

Name:	ab71c8ef-7630-4b07-9001-8c6ff6af0397.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	975432

Comment

I bought this one from Amazon. I ground rice and salt in it about 6 times, then some jalapeños and garlic to season. Works well for making salsa. Flavors really stand out crushed in one of these as compared to blending. Click image for larger version

Name:	7302C17A-EC2D-4F10-9613-DC720278319C.png
Views:	120
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	975621

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the recommendation. If I don't find one at the tienda or vietnamese market I'll probably be ordering this one on your recommendation.

• AdequateEatin
              AdequateEatin commented
              Editing a comment
              I also have this one, and seasoning it like you did is a must!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here