Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a molcajete or mortar and pestle that you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdequateEatin
    commented on 's reply
    I also have this one, and seasoning it like you did is a must!

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the recommendation. If I don't find one at the tienda or vietnamese market I'll probably be ordering this one on your recommendation.

• Ronaldf123
    replied
    I bought this one from Amazon. I ground rice and salt in it about 6 times, then some jalapeños and garlic to season. Works well for making salsa. Flavors really stand out crushed in one of these as compared to blending. Click image for larger version

Name:	7302C17A-EC2D-4F10-9613-DC720278319C.png
Views:	123
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	975621

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    My molcajete was a gift from someone I am no longer in contact with; so, I don't know where it came from. However, this person was part Mexican. So, I assumed she knew where to get a good one. I seasoned it by grinding pepper corns, and it worked well. I've had it for about thirty years and have not had a grit problem.

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    I've found that gentle pounding in addition to grinding works well in both my molcajete and granite mortar and pestle from Import Food.

Made in Thailand of the highest quality 100% hand-carved solid granite, this durable mortar and pestle is an important tool for Thai cooking as well as around the world.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    You could make mofongo with that thing.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    I got one of those cheap lava stone molcajete and only tried using it a couple of times. I don't have the patience to "condition it".

I do use a mortar and pestle for fine grinding. It's especially easy to make gobs of garlic paste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ab71c8ef-7630-4b07-9001-8c6ff6af0397.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	975432

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    I have this one and love it.

Name:	Screenshot_20210117-115946_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	975416

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Gravity fed.

• holehogg
    replied
    Use a coffe grinder for my spices and this wooden one for making mostly curry paste.

Name:	20210117_085928.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	975267

Name:	20210117_085650.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	975268

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I have a good mini food processor. But tend to use the magic bullet plus or whatever the big one is called for spices out of convenience.

• Pobeque
    replied
    I have this granite one....bought it based off of a Serious Eats comparison. Its good to make 3-4 avocados worth of guac. The flavor is so much better smashing and bashing the aromatics than cutting them.

3 Avocados
    1 Jalapeno/serrano chile
    1/4-1/2 med onion
    1 handful cilantro

Smash all aromatics into a paste then add avocado. Smash that and season with lime juice and salt to taste

When I bought it a couple of years ago price was like $40-$50, its gone way up

I also have a small guy I use for spices when I don't bust out the grinder

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    Costco has them on occasion, which is where I got mine. It is the heavy, natural stone - I don’t recall what it is and I’m at the lake house for the weekend, so can’t get the label out of my recipe book.

That said, I like it. It is big enough to do some table side guacamole, or the surface is rough enough to be able to grind up spices. If I had Popeye forearms, I’d even grind up some corn to make legit corn tortillas.....but that’s too much work

A quick search - I think this is what I have from Costco. I don’t remember it being this cheap, but it’s heavy and I think the same size. I can check when I get home if you would like.

Name:	4A739311-684A-4481-8150-52393D3FD9D0.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	974812

Leave a comment:

• N227GB
    replied
    I gave up on using a mortar and pestle after noticing some hand discomfort. I now use one of these and it's also great for small batches of sauce.

(Posted from my phone)

Leave a comment:

• Stuey1515
    replied
    I bought a small ceramic one and found it useless for the same reasons posted above. Now I have a decent sized one made from granite. No need to treat it and does a great job with spices, along with making curry paste

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here