Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas MeatUp - Spring Edition Dates Set For April…Yippy Ki Yay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts yet re: likely dates for a fall meatup in TX? I think I’m in a bit of a pickle as far as getting to Rockdale in April goes. Of course.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I think PJ was waiting until after this month's get together and getting everyone's input before announcing the Fall dates.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, skitt (Norwegian, not English, so no AR rules violation) has happened so I’m forced to cancel my April travels. That said, I’m thinking that September or October just might be a good time to see everyone’s ugly mugs.

I’m afraid life has gotten in the way for me too and I will not be able to make it. I’m really bummed. Maybe in the fall. Sorry folks. 👎☹️

Comment

I'll be stuck in NYC...

Comment

Lookie here, y'all:

It's a process. Traveling through the big cities and down small country roads, looking for the best barbecue in Texas. No agendas, no politics, no favorites, just barbecue. It's not an easy task but it's certanily rewarding and fun to meet some of the best people and eat the best food Texas has to offer. It didn't make any difference if they were a brick and morter store or one on wheels, if they had the best barbecue, you will read about them here. Texas Barbecue.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob I was hoping Miller's would have been on that list as well, they were every bit as good as any I tried.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s that they say about opinions and belly buttons?

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike, considering who they've rated as "also ran" there's probably some gamesmanship vs. Texas Monthly going on here.................at least they gave Brett a fair shake.

Thanks Mike, pretty interesting and a few surprises. Good read, although a few of the pictures they used left me scratching my head. If you’re giving ONLY ONE photo next to the name and description of each restaurant, I think I could do a little better than these 2.

Franklin’s BBQ picture

Click image for larger version  Name:	49A534D7-3B71-4458-AEEE-68BC9082FA97.png Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1205406

Rossler’s Blue Cord Barbecue picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	549BBFA1-2EF1-42DD-A7F9-0087B4032D48.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	385.9 KB ID:	1205407
      Really? 😂

Oh, one more thing…notice anything here? It’s bad enough they misspelled the name once, but twice?…..right next to their sign picture! 🙄

Click image for larger version  Name:	42D1088F-2424-42D8-8019-14B9784944DC.png Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	1205421
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 12, 2022, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Carol Burnet Bean?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the Franklin's one was definitely lame. The "line" at Snow's is pretty much the same, but they chose to go with a great picture of Tootsie. Makes one wonder...

We’re planning to be back in for a fall meatup.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too!

There was one place ranked high on the list above located here in Katy that’s been a local hidden gem called Daddy Duncan’s. They’re still a food truck operation but the put out some excellent ‘cue. Glad they got some recognition!!

Also wanted to mention the top winner on the list, Kelley’s Hill Country BBQ in Whimberly, is at a gorgeous location in the Hill Country we’re looking at for a possible fall meatup. More on that later on 👍👌

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Would love to check out the Hill Country.

I’ll not be a +1, just me. Also, I’ve had something come up for the weekend, but I’ll be there Thursday night, eat barbecue on Friday, then motor home. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as we get to see your smiling face! But, you’re gonna miss the Friday Night Pillow Fights. I will be looking to defend my crown against that dastardly Uncle Bob! It should be quite a match. Thinking about wearing my good luck Snoopy PJ’s. I’m undefeated while wearing those.

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, leaving before the pillow situation gets out of hand. That’s one of the reasons I’m exiting early. I’m afraid it would provide scenes I can’t unsee.

After Uncle Bob 's pitmaster value, I'm 50/50 as to whether I'm going to make the 'Dale meat up. I was certain I wasn't going before. Y'all I shutter to say that I don't eat BBQ much, especially commercial BBQ. So it isn't the thrill of going to Central Texas Q-joints that will bring me to Rockdale. It'll be all about meating your faces, face to face. I'll let you know my status on Monday...

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        If you tap out of this one I hope you will make the Fall Meatup.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you can make it! We don't eat BBQ for every meal, some (or all) of us will be eating at a local Tex Mex restaurant while we are there.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here