Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Off Topic" Channel

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Off Topic" Channel

Please make an effort to post your comments, questions, pix, and recipes in the proper topic. Take some time to poke around and get the lay of the land. If you post in the right place you will help fellow users.

"Off-Topic"is for posting topics that don't have a Channel or Sub-Channel elsewhere because they are not directly related to barbecue and cooking.

Some examples of Off-Topic Discussion:
    • Sports
    • Sharing pictures of a trip, a new deck, your dogs, etc
    • Talking about holiday plans or happenings
    • Funny stuff, stories, jokes or random musings
    • Weather
    • A question about a good fridge or freezer
    • But no politics, race, or religion
    • .....you get the idea.....

If you have questions about how the Pitmaster Club works, click here to go to the Help channel which has answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
    Last edited by Meathead; November 9, 2020, 05:21 PM.

Sorry Huskee. I guess I just never thought of a vacuum bag as an accessory so I put the question in General. oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Rakow View Post
      Sorry Huskee. I guess I just never thought of a vacuum bag as an accessory so I put the question in General. oops.
      No worries! That's why this post was made, as instruction for those random things we don't think much about. We move threads where they belong if they're put in a non-ideal channel, but we can all use tips tricks & reminders!

Comment

I, I, I'm sorry. I'll never do it again! I promise!

Then again, I don't know if I have ever done it. Regardless, I will do my best from here on out Her Commandant!

PS. Are they hiring in Louisville?

Comment

<Raises hand> I know I am horribly guilty of this transgression. I apologize deeply! half the time, I start a post and don't know where it's going. I will try to be better. I'm a bad girl.

Comment

• bunky2021
            bunky2021 commented
            Editing a comment
            too funny!

Bump. Please remember to place topics in channels that they best fit into.

Comment

There seems to be so much information on this particular website even the Pitmasters Club, this is not a complaint but those that are dedicated to really and are interested in learning how to barbecue properly it's almost overwhelming for me personally, but I look forward to the challenge if I decide to post something in a particular area my biggest fear is I made posted in the wrong place,. But I'll tell you this I'm glad I'm a member of the Pitmaster club, there is so many different ideas different ways of doing things, everyone has their own idea of what is the best way of grilling or smoking that is the reason I joined the Pitmaster Club that is the reason I will stay a Pit Master Club member. So far you guys have pointed me in the right direction with my 26 inch Weber kettle, other clubs that I tried to join online laughed at me and says I'm wasting my money told me how stupid I was the on this piece of equipment, this is the only club that embraced me and said hey we have new ideas and the way you barbecue and there's more than one way of doing it. And for that I thank you for making me feel welcome.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              I felt the same when I joined. Overwhelmed! Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day...
              I'm looking forward to your future posts my BBQ Brother....

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. These folks are great. They help me out all the time but they have got me addicted to pastrami! Beware.

• Citizenoftheworld
              Citizenoftheworld commented
              Editing a comment
              I couldn't have said it better myself. Wait, yes I can. As a total newbie to smoking meats and fish, this website changed my life. I bought 8 of the AR steak knives with the logo on them. When my guests ask about the logo, usually after they mention what a great steak knife it is, I tell them, this website changed my life. You are absolutely right about the wonderful people here. Well said.

Originally posted by Jimmie Rhoden View Post
            There seems to be so much information on this particular website even the Pitmasters Club, this is not a complaint but those that are dedicated to really and are interested in learning how to barbecue properly it's almost overwhelming for me personally, but I look forward to the challenge if I decide to post something in a particular area my biggest fear is I made posted in the wrong place,. But I'll tell you this I'm glad I'm a member of the Pitmaster club, there is so many different ideas different ways of doing things, everyone has their own idea of what is the best way of grilling or smoking that is the reason I joined the Pitmaster Club that is the reason I will stay a Pit Master Club member. So far you guys have pointed me in the right direction with my 26 inch Weber kettle, other clubs that I tried to join online laughed at me and says I'm wasting my money told me how stupid I was the on this piece of equipment, this is the only club that embraced me and said hey we have new ideas and the way you barbecue and there's more than one way of doing it. And for that I thank you for making me feel welcome.
            Jimmie it can seem daunting but what you're going to find here is that the base knowledge that drives our techniques here is very consistent. Once you get over the initial learning curve things get real easy real quick. In the meantime, if you have trouble finding something, a "cry for help" will always get you pointed in the right direction around here.

Comment

Jimmie Rhoden Thanks for the nice words. As Dave says, we're always here to help!

Have you ever gone to college, or spent any time in a large hospital visiting family? The first visit to the building it's daunting, intimidating, huge! But after some repeated exposure, you learn where things are and it becomes not quite so intimidating. My advice to learn your way around is visit the main Channelss tab (upper-left). Scroll down and see where things are. We try to have a channel or sub-channel for nearly everything we could talk about here. If you post a topic where it doesn't fit best, that's ok, we'll move it if it's necessary to do so. Recent Posts is the best way to keep on top of recent conversations. But that's limited to what's "recent", whereas browsing individual channels will open up much more!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee, you honestly made me spit my coffee all over my shirt with laughter. As I read the first sentence of your second paragraph the Captain's voice from the movie Airplane (talking to Joey) immediately popped into my head.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol tbob4 While my intent wasn't to be funny, I'm glad you enjoyed it

Huskee, I'll apologize in advance! (for posting in the wrong spot(s)
              Being new here I'm still learning the way things are put together around here. If I put a post in the wrong thread,... I mean "Channel", feel free to whip me into shape. (oh Please,..WHIP ME!)

I have a question but I gatta look around to see 'where to post it'! "POST"... is that a term that's used here?

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, yep. Check out the Pit User Guide channel, there's several topics in there that will help you learn how and where to post.

Bump.

In case anyone has ever felt (or still feels) a little overwhelmed by our forum and the many channels. I hope the [edited] top post will help you. If you're a long-time member or familiar with forums then you likely already know the basics mentioned here.

As mentioned in another post, soon we'll be restructuring our main Channels page to be more succinct and less sprawling.

Comment

Does anyone in the club use wood pellet smoker?

Comment

Sooooo, where do we discuss religion and politics? ;-)

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  stirring away!

Bump.

Gentle reminder the General Discussion/ Off Topic channel is NOT for anything edible, cookbooks, cookers, fuels, etc.

Please use General Discussion as a last resort, not a first. Chances are your topic fits elsewhere.

Comment

OK, I've been looking for a LONG time for the proper place to ask my question. I'm still not sure, so I'll ask my question here. Warning: this question will probably be considered to be blasphemy but I would welcome some help and direction.

Are there any channels/threads dedicated to healthy cooking? Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love all the contributions by Pit members. But my better half and I are trying to eat a little healthier and I figure the Pit crew could provide some great ideas on how to make flavorful food that's more healthy.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca whats wrong with that?

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Define HEATHY .... hmmm ???

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lo, define "healthy". Meathead's mantra has always been health talk is best left to doctors, not the rest of us. "Healthy" changes over the years. We each have a personal idea of "healthy" but it shifts. If you want to discuss particular ways of cooking/eating, such as keto or gluten free or low fat, my suggestion is discuss that cooking style in the most relevant Food sub-channel- beef or vegetables, etc. Low-sugar pork rub in Rub Discussion, or salad ideas in Vegetables, Fruit Discussion, etc.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here