Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoder Smoker Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoder Smoker Questions

Good morning,

As you are aware, I just recently purchased a Yoder Durango, and I had a few questions, preferably from cooks that have a stick burner with both a horizontal and vertical chamber.

1 - When the grill is heating up, there is a lot of moisture on the inside. In the vertical chamber, it ends up running out the bottom of the door. Is this normal?

2 - I have the heat dispersion plate added on, and I am having a temp range difference of 150 degrees between the hot side and the top vertical temp. So the right is 350, the left is 310, and the vertical is 200-225. Is this normal?

3 - I still have a small coming from the outside of the smoker, although faint. I did the initial burn off, and have cooked on it twice now, but I still have that faint paint cooking smell. Is this normal?

Thanks, and if anyone has any other advice, it is much appreciated. I have my BGE mastered, but have much to learn in the stick burner realm!

Although I don't own a off-set stick burner, I can tell you just from following others that do for the past few years, temperature differences across the cooking chamber is normal. The number that you started above are close to what I have seen other places. Huskee will be able to help you more. I know we have one other gentleman that has the same rig as you, I hope he chimes in too.

Comment

• PaynTrain
      PaynTrain commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I was thinking (and I like it, gives me options and flex), but wanted to check around. Also Spinaker, do you have any idea why I cannot post more than 1 picture without getting an error "Image upload failed because the extension of this file did not match the content"?

PaynTrain
    There are quite a few guys that have Stick Burners that will be able to help you. Its gonna be my next purchase for sure. I think I am getting the Loaded Wichita or Kingman. I am not sure on the pictures, but David Parrish should be able to help you. He is usually on that stuff quickly, I would PM him your question. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on that one.

Comment

PaynTrain

1. I have the same moisture issue in the vertical. I don't notice it as much as I used to on the beginning.

2. The temp differences are normal. That's part of what makes it special. You can do poultry in the main chamber and slow smoke in the vertical. Or if you're running in the 250 range in the main chamber, your vertical will sit in the 150 range, making for a fairly effective faux cambro.

3. As for the smell, I didn't notice it with mine and didn't write about in my notes. Hopefully it'll go away soon on yours.

I hope it helps, and I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Thanks edible hen ! I actually used the vertical as a cambrio last night as well, great idea. I rolled 350 with pork tenderloin lower left, bone in chicken thigh top right, legs top left. Then I flipped the thighs and legs, and put the pork bottom left as it hit temps. Then i went direct flame adding BBQ to the chicken, depositing done meats in the vertical, since the reverse sear process took me 5 minutes to get through all of them. I was very pleased and it all went very well, although I was nervous managing that much meat in various stages. Thanks!

Comment

I have two upright stick burners and used to have COS' before that - the Yoder is not a COS. On my offset COS', I had the fluctuation problem until I started putting a water pan on both sides. It really evened things out. With the addition of the vertical unit, I do not know what the effect would be. As for smell and even smoke escapes - It will likely take about a month before it goes away. I go through the regular seasoning process before letting food touch the unit. Then after pulling food for the first month I let it run hot to burn things off. About moisture - interestingly I have found that when I burn oak I do not get nearly the moisture in the unit as I do when I burn almond wood. I use water pans with both woods and still there is a moisture difference. Maybe Dr. Blonder knows why. Both woods are fully seasoned but the almond wood has significantly more bark. I also notice that the more often I clean my unit, the less residual moisture I end up with. I'm looking forward to photos of cooks on your unit and hearing what advice others give you and what effects they have when you use it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here