Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John russell has a cooker built by Meadow Creek. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in. Since they are made in PA you might save some on shipping.

Comment

Have you looked at Lang? They make some very nice trailer smokers with lots of custom options. I don't own one but have first hand experience cooking on my son in law's. One of the better reverse flow options IMHO and experience.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        He already took Lang out of consideration, as they do not have the insulated firebox he is looking for.

Those are all beautiful beasts... I own a backyard Jambo. Dimensions and capacity a bit smaller than the J3, but the construction is the same. I'm a KCBS judge and at comps I always go around and talk to the Jambo owners (they're all J3 owners) to pick up tips. However, I never stick around for the awards, so I have no idea if they won or not. But overall, the Jambo pit masters love their J3's and are extremely confident on using them. I have never heard one owner complain abouth their pits. Nothing but praise. The main questions I ask are how they start their fires and how they maintain their fires. Everybody differs a bit on start up, but they are all consistent on maintaining their temps. The Jambo J3 (and my backyard for that matter) purrs at around 275d. That's it sweet spot. Every 30 minutes to 45 minutes just throw on another piece of wood. The trick is keeping a good bed of coals.

The one competition tip I got was that they all replaced the original racks with stainless steel racks. The reason is that the Jambo racks catch and tear the aluminum foil when they wrap. The custom made racks are smooth (and look much nicer).

I've competeted a couple times, but never with my Jambo (JT). Don't have a trailer to move that hunk of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Donw View Post
        John russell has a cooker built by Meadow Creek. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in. Since they are made in PA you might save some on shipping.
        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
          Those are all beautiful beasts... I own a backyard Jambo. Dimensions and capacity a bit smaller than the J3, but the construction is the same. I'm a KCBS judge and at comps I always go around and talk to the Jambo owners (they're all J3 owners) to pick up tips. However, I never stick around for the awards, so I have no idea if they won or not. But overall, the Jambo pit masters love their J3's and are extremely confident on using them. I have never heard one owner complain abouth their pits. Nothing but praise. The main questions I ask are how they start their fires and how they maintain their fires. Everybody differs a bit on start up, but they are all consistent on maintaining their temps. The Jambo J3 (and my backyard for that matter) purrs at around 275d. That's it sweet spot. Every 30 minutes to 45 minutes just throw on another piece of wood. The trick is keeping a good bed of coals.

The one competition tip I got was that they all replaced the original racks with stainless steel racks. The reason is that the Jambo racks catch and tear the aluminum foil when they wrap. The custom made racks are smooth (and look much nicer).

I've competeted a couple times, but never with my Jambo (JT). Don't have a trailer to move that hunk of steel.
          Great insight! Thanks for this response.

Comment

Coconut Monkey I love that name😂BTW. Where do you live?
            You mentioned you’re near Meadow Creek’s facility.
            I’m in NY. Probably about 3-4hrs from them. If you want to see my LSG. I would be happy to show it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
              Coconut Monkey I love that name😂BTW. Where do you live?
              You mentioned you’re near Meadow Creek’s facility.
              I’m in NY. Probably about 3-4hrs from them. If you want to see my LSG. I would be happy to show it to you.
              Thanks so much for the offer Steve! I'll probably take you up on that at some point...

I live in northeast Ohio. It is my understanding they have a dealer in PA.

Coconut Monkey is a old PC Gamer mascot. Just keeping him alive haha

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Aahh. Ohio is a bit far. But if you wanna make a trip you are more than welcome.
                Yeah. From what I see they’re based out of PA.

Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the late update. Here is how my evaluation process is going:

Jambo: not much to say here. it is what it is. tons of information on the forums about them and how they work.
              Shirley: they haven't returned my calls. I'm thinking it's because they have a gigantic backlog. This may be a non-starter
              Meadow Creek: I have a friend close by who owns a similar model, and is going to bring his trailer over and have a cookout. I'll have real hands-on experience with this one!
              Meat Monster: Man this thing is so tempting. But not a ton of information out there on it. I really want to see one before I buy. If you contact them, they will send you excel sheets with detailed pricing.

John

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm. Curious about what you found out about and thoughts on the LSG rigs??

• Coconut Monkey
                Coconut Monkey commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes! I checked out LSG and they are fine cookers. My thought is they are similar enough to the other options where I will likely go with those. But it really is nice.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                👍 Just take into consideration shipping costs. Not sure where you live.
                Shipping the LSG from Texas to NY Was some $650 or so.

I missed this post the first time around. I also have a Jambo backyard, and it is so much fun to cook on. I get even temps except right next to the fire and right next to the exhaust. There's nothing like cooking with all wood, it's the flavor that charcoal with chunks hints at. The J3's are expensive and partly about looks in my opinion, but man oh man is Jambo a nice cooker.

I did upgrade to bar grates that I made myself, so much easier to clean than the expanded metal grates that come stock. Other than that and a little rust that I've let develop, I have absolutely no complaints. Well, maybe that I don't get to cook on it as much as I would like...

Comment

Just an update. I ended up going with a totally different option. The KBQ C-60 gave me the portability I wanted with a much lower price-point, AND it was a AmazingRibs plat medal winner.

My first cook on it was incredible. I detail that here, with some pics: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ll-call/page13

It's light enough to put in the back of a truck or SUV. One day I may still go with a trailer, if I seriously get into competition or catering. We will see how the C-60 performs in comps! Thanks guys for all the help.

John R.

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thanks for coming back and doing an update. So many times that doesn't happen and I wonder... what DID that person decide...?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here