Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick Burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent Dilla ! NICE setup! You too PaulstheRibList Here's my pile from back early this past Nov, ash. I had another pile about 1/2 this size of apple. It is all about 1/4 of this now, time to restock soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5921.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	77387

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      How much wood do you go through during one cook in moderate weather (i.e. no rain or high wind during the one of Michigan's handful of temperate months)? Say, something like a pork shoulder and/or a few racks of ribs?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Beefchop You know I've never actually counted the pieces now that you bring that up. I should next time. I start out with 3 base pieces on top of some lit charcoal to start things, and then preburn several pieces about halfway, pull the top ones off & save. The original few pieces on the bottom then turn to coals while this happens and the smoker is heating up. This might take 1-2 hrs depending on outside temp which is anywhere from -20 in Jan to 90s in August as you know. Any hotter than that I'm not likely to want to be BBQing all day.

There were the original 2 or 3 pieces that I let turn to coals, plus avg 1 logs added back each hour. So let's ballpark in a 10 hr cook I might use 10-13 pieces.
      Again this is very ballparkish, I've never actually tallied them up. It might be much less in reality in warm weather. Probably more in cold weather.

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee. That gives me a good ballpark. Just trying to figure out if wood procurement and storage is going to be a pain if I do buy a stick burner this fall.

About how difficult it is to procure smoke wood in South Dakota. Got my eye on this one! Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	78350

Attached Files

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!

I would LOVE a nice GOOD stick burner. I started with a knock off of a Weber 18". Shucks, that was 27 years ago I think. I can remember trying to stuff the charcoal and wood through that little door in the side, and whimpering as I saw all the smoke leaking out around the lid and the wood door. LOL. I finally burned out the pans in that one and used it as an excuse for a new rig.
    Then about 10 years ago (I think), i was stupid, and few smokin' sites existed on the web then... so i bought a cheap offset from one of the big box stores in California. It was a no-name IIRC. The metal is THIN. The thing leaks at every joint, and it is next to impossible to get the heat level across the meat box. In the California 60* temps of Thanksgiving/Christmas (the coldest I would smoke, it wasn't a problem. Six years ago, we moved to North Pole (Fairbanks), AK. Now Thanksgiving is -10 to -15... :-) I bought a water tank insulator for it, and smoked a couple of turkeys, but trying to keep it loaded every 45 mins or so, in that temp, just wasn't fun. During the summer, it's still not a terrible smoker, but i haven't fixed the leaking yet.

Sooooo. I now have the electric box. I've had 2 butts going for 16 hours and the top one (coolest) has been at 170* for about 1.25 hours now... But it ran ALL NIGHT without my intervention. :-) That will be PERFECT for fall/winter. But oh, my heart dreams of a stick burner for summer time. :-) Those Langs make me want to sell a kid or a body part. :-) Shucks, out youngest is a 14 yo boy. I'd sell him for another cheapie from home depot. LOL

Great thread, I know the intent is to get people with stick burners to post and help each other, but it also kicks up a little jealousy and lust in those that don't have a nice stick burner to work on.

s

Comment

I ordered my Stick Burner and I'll receive it next week. Really looking forward to getting to know it and learn how to build a clean fire.

Where can I read more about that? can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comment

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        Mether, which unit did you order? I'm going through this right now - looking at different models and such. I'm a few hours from Houston so I have options. Too many in fact!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here