Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin BBQ Pits: Handmade Backyard Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin BBQ Pits: Handmade Backyard Smoker

I noticed that Aaron Franklin is gearing up to sell consumer smokers.

Backyard smoker designed by Aaron Franklin and made in the USA using All American Steel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	weld-pipe.jpg
Views:	6961
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	460158

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This photo appears to be from an episode of BBQ with Franklin that I watched off of PBS in December. The episode was focused on how to build an offset smoker.

I think I heard more about it on the BBQ central show or somethin- I think he said price point is looking to be around the $2,500-$3k range in his interview

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think that's too spendy for a QOS (quality offset smoker)!

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      It's in line with most other quality stick burners. Not sure what the finished product will look like but I can't see anything being done halfway with AF behind it.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      gonna have to compete with Lang and Pitmaker here in Texas.

I also heard him say no paint and the firebox is going to bolt on. Not sure I would be interested.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm bolt on fire box. I see leakage.. No paint I see lots of rust>

The one in the photo is smaller than the ones in his restaurant, (as I would expect).

Comment

He told Greg the selling price will be around $3000 - $3500 range. Also he mentioned something about them being shipped in 3 pieces.

Comment

No paint is not an issue if they use stainless steel for the entire smoker. That's what I've got.

As far as issues with a bolt on firebox, leakage may not be what you think if it is designed right. The smokers my dad designed and had his welders build up back in the 1980's, mostly as customer gifts, have the firebox attached without a weld. He basically folded and bent the firebox in such a way that it hangs/hooks into the opening in the side of the smoker, with the firebox metal wrapping around the opening on the inside of the smoker body. The weight of the firebox holds it in place. I can remove it by lifting and tilting up at an angle. I've never seen smoke leakage between the firebox and the body of the smoker. If there is leakage its usually around either the firebox door or the lid of the smoker itself. I bought some gasket material last summer, but have not installed any yet as I've been too lazy to scrub and prep the surface of the smoker lid to be grease and grime free enough to put the gasket on.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure it’s not going to be stainless steel not for $3500

Price for me depends upon Aaron autographing the pit with a mig welder.

$18,500 for an all stainless steel model.

Comment

When I was @ Franklins last month, I asked Benji (the GM) about the Franklin Smoker, he said release had been planned for mid-summer 2018, but because of the fire, release had been pushed back to Dec. 2018. I was able to put my name on a mailing list - to be notified when the actual sell date was.

Comment

Nice pic of Aaron getting hands on with the smoker but I seriously doubt he's in the back building smokers all day long. He's a busy man with lots of personal appearances and keeping his product and store out in front view of the public. Kind of like Myron Mixon these guys got so much stuff going on that not much has their own personal touch. Just another part of the business under his name.

Depending on size of the pit if it retails at $3500 that's on the high end of a patio pit.

Comment

Here is Greg interviewing Aaron Franklin on The BBQ Central Show 2 weeks ago. Aaron will began around the 1:15:42 into the show

Comment

I'll buy one on Day 1!!! #OntheList

Comment

Well, as an alternative, you can try Fat Stack Smokers if you are on the left coast. Seems to be quality stuff coming out of there.

Comment

• xaugievike
                    xaugievike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    dammit I like that....

Very cool.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker, Did You Finally Get Your Driveway Shoveled❓❓ OBTW, I Received an eMail from John Scharffbillig with the MNBBQSOCIETY Saying They Only Had About 25 Places Left❓❗️ Dan
                    Last edited by Danjohnston949; February 27, 2018, 03:51 PM.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did, but now there is ice. :/ Danjohnston949

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    👎 👎 😭 👎 👎

So many different choices of pits here in Texas, a lot of them top quality. Let's face it, a stick burner is not a particularly hard cooker to make. As a former AWS D1.1 certified welder, I tend to look at the fit and finish, as well as the quality of the welds. The better the fit, the tighter the smoker. Yea you have arguments about reverse flow versus plating but at the end of the day it's a big steel tub with a fire box at the end. The better ones are done out of materials and fabrication that lasts, to me that's the big difference. If Franklin is indeed selling his backyard pits at a $3500 price point, he had better justify that cost with something other than just his name stamped on it.

(BTW little side note, just got back from a 4 day trip on family business in Austin, stayed in a hotel just across the freeway from
                  Franklin BBQ. Lines there and at La Barbecue were ridiculous as always so I passed, been there done that. Went down to Lockhart on the way home and ate at Kreuz's then stopped at Black's and brought home some sausage and other goodies. Good trip)

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                    Frozen Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a damn good trip!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here