Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horizontal vs Cabinet Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizontal vs Cabinet Offset

About to place an order for an offset from LSG and am curious if anyone out there has an opinion on a horizontal vs cabinet offset.

I like the size of a cabinet for the dollar, but tradition of a horizontal. At the end of the day I really just want the best product to come out whichever smoker meat goes in to. Should I be concerned about the way air flows through the cooking chamber of a cabinet not being the same as a horizontal? Are differences between the two insignificant?

Does any one have pros or cons of each? Thank you for your input.

I would really like the cabinet if I could install plates below each grate to divert drippings away from the meat below. Not a big deal with brisket, especially running fat cap up, but it really messes up rib bark.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep about 4 racks is the maximum for a cabinet before the bottom racks is under a rainstorm of hot fat.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora making it rain...like it when the offset is loaded down too and it calls for a light misting of grease out the stack too. Thats why I rotate my racks.

I have two cabinet style smokers and love them. They do perform differently than an offset. I have even heat distribution top to bottom and right to left once I get the fire settled. It is tricky at first if you are used to an offset to "settle" the fire. It is nothing more than patience. For bark, I don’t have the issues Jerod Broussard brought up. By the time long cooks are done, most of the moisture has cooked out and bark is good. The bottom rack should be used for drippings, though. This does take away some of your sq in of cooking space. When cooking butts, it is important to remove them half way through the cook and replace. Flare ups on a long cook of butts will happen, otherwise. Another interesting phenomenon is that while I get just the same smoke taste as I did with an offset, the smoke ring is not nearly as prevalent. Same temps, same recipes. I would love to know the science behind why the smoke ring is so much different.

Comment

• Merberto
      Merberto commented
      Editing a comment
      Are these vertical cabinets with the fire box underneath or a true offset?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Firebox under. One has a pass through for smoke and the fire hits a water pan. Both have three racks.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Both of my trailers have a cabinet and an offset in them. Use the cabinets most often. At the house, I run exclusively cabinets.

Wouldn't it depend on how much meat your cooking? I can't imagine cooking 6 briskets or butts at one time.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol biggest I have done is 20 briskets, 16 pork shoulders, and 175lbs of sausage at one time. Ahumadora has me beat by a mile though.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      @texastweter Maybe not a mile only by about 1/2 a ton.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here