Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

LSG 20X36 versus Lang 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smoking77
    Club Member
    • Mar 2017
    • Los Angeles

LSG 20X36 versus Lang 36

Hey everyone. I'm finally starting to do some serious research on stick burners and was looking at the LSGs and the Langs. Just have a few questions (with certainly more to come in the next few months) for people that have experience on these smokers.

1. Do both of these smokers hold basically even temps temps from one side of the cooker to the other? I hear the Yoder Loaded Wichita is great if you want to cook low and slow on one side and hotter on the other, but that's not something that I need.

2. I'm looking at the smallest cookers from both these brands. As far as taking up space, I would imagine the most I'd need to cook at one time is two separated packer briskets for small gatherings. Any reason to go to the next size up?

3. In a perfect world, I roll this thing into my garage after I'm done. Yes, I can cover it and keep it on my side driveway (protected inside our gate), but I'm hoping to keep it out of the way. Can both of these smokers easily be rolled a couple yards and up a very small step? Or would it be a hassle moving this thing in and out?

4. Any positives that the LSGs have over the Langs? And vice versa?

Thanks for the help!
  • Steve B
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Rockland county New York
    • Lonestar Grillz 24x36 offset smoker, grill, w/ main chamber charcoal grate and 3 tel-tru thermometers - left, right and center
      Yoke Up custom charcoal basket and a Grill Wraps cover.

22.5 copper kettle w/ SnS, DnG, BBQ vortex, gasket and stainless steel hinge kit.

Napoleon gas grill (soon to go bye bye) rotting out.

1 maverick et-733 digital thermometer - black
      1 maverick et-733 - gray
      1 new standard grilling remote digital thermometer
      1 thermoworks thermopen mk4 - red
      1 thermoworks thermopop - red

Pre Miala flavor injector
      taylor digital scale
      TSM meat grinder
      chefs choice food slicer
      cuisinhart food processor
      food saver vacuum sealer
      TSM harvest food dehydrator

Well Smoking77 Obviously as you can see from my avatar I have an LSG.
    Mine is their 24x36 barrel type.
    I can’t speak for the Lang’s. So I will tell you about mine.
    Question 1. No offset will hold even temps from side to side. But once you learn your cooker you can control it to an extent.
    The 20x36 that you’re looking at is a different beast than mine in many ways. kenrobin can give you a lot of info on that particular one.

Question 2. No. Separated You should be able to fit 3 in either.

Question 3 Both of the cookers you’re looking at are gonna be in excess of 500lbs. So moving them around is possible but not ideal. And with any incline or step you better have a friend to help. These puppies ain’t no Weber Kettles.

Question 4. Honestly I can’t say. As I said I don’t have a Lang. What I can say though is that When I was searching for my perfect smoker/cooker Lang was definitely in the running but the LSG just had more and better features for what I was looking for. And their craftsmanship is second to none.

Hope this helps.
    If you have any more questions please feel free to ask here or PM me.

SteveB.

Comment

• jfmorris
      Club Member
      • Nov 2017
      • Huntsville, Alabama
      • Jim Morris

Cookers
        • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
        • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
        • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
        • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
        • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
        • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
        • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
        • Anova
        Thermometers
        • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
        • Thermoworks Dot
        • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
        • Thermoworks RT600C
        Beverages
        • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

I don’t have either smoker, but as Steve B says - there’s aren’t 100 pound Oklahoma Joe’s that you are talking about. Moving them if any incline is involved will not be a one man job. I would plan on a good spot for it to stay put, preferably near your wood pile.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Point from both of you well taken. Although, I did do 10 pushups a couple weeks ago, so I can probably handle it

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoking77 😂😂😂
    • Jerod Broussard
      • Jun 2014
      • East Texas
      • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
        Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
        Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
        Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
        Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
        Weber Smokey Joe Gold
        Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
        Vortex
        Maverick ET-732 White
        Maverick ET-732 Copper
        2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
        Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
        Thermoworks Timestick
        Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
        B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
        B & B Pellets

Get the Lonestar with the off road kit for increased moveability.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Club Member
        • Mar 2017
        • Los Angeles

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
        Well Smoking77 Obviously as you can see from my avatar I have an LSG.
        Mine is their 24x36 barrel type.
        I can’t speak for the Lang’s. So I will tell you about mine.
        Question 1. No offset will hold even temps from side to side. But once you learn your cooker you can control it to an extent.
        The 20x36 that you’re looking at is a different beast than mine in many ways. kenrobin can give you a lot of info on that particular one.

Question 2. No. Separated You should be able to fit 3 in either.

Question 3 Both of the cookers you’re looking at are gonna be in excess of 500lbs. So moving them around is possible but not ideal. And with any incline or step you better have a friend to help. These puppies ain’t no Weber Kettles.

Question 4. Honestly I can’t say. As I said I don’t have a Lang. What I can say though is that When I was searching for my perfect smoker/cooker Lang was definitely in the running but the LSG just had more and better features for what I was looking for. And their craftsmanship is second to none.

Hope this helps.
        If you have any more questions please feel free to ask here or PM me.

SteveB.
        Steve B Thanks for the input. I do have more questions, so will PM you tomorrow. kenrobin Okay to message you, too? If not, no worries at all Thanks

Comment

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Feel free to PM any questions to me too.
      • Mr. Bones
        Birthday Hat Master
        • Sep 2016
        • Kansas Territory
        • Grills / Smokers

Kingsford 24" grill (Free) 'Billy'
          Brinkmann Smoke n Grill
          Oklahoma Joe Highland, gaskets, LavaLock baffle / tuning plate. 'Big Joe'
          Weber 18" Kettle ($30 CL) 'Lil' Feller'
          Weber Smokey Joe ($25 CL) 'Lil' Brother'
          Weber 22.5 Master Touch '93 P Code Blue($85) from fellow WKC member Bmitch 'Elwood'
          Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Q Kettle '69-'70 "Patent Pending" Red ($80) from fellow WKC member dwnthehatch 'Maureen'
          Weber 22.5 OTS DD Code Black ($40 CL) 'DeeDee'
          Weber 22.5 OTS DO Code Black ($15 CL)
          Weber 22.5 OTS E Code Black ($20 CL
          Weber 22.5 OTS EE Code Black ($20 CL

Weber "C" Code 18.5" WSM '81 ($50 CL) 8-0!!!
          Weber "H" Code 18.5" WSM '86 ($75 CL)
          Weber " " Code 18.5" WSM

Weber 26.75, $199 NFM clearance !!!
          Weber SJS AH 'Lil' Brother'
          Weber SJS AT 'Lil' Sister'
          Weber SJS DE Code (FREE) 'Lil' Helper'
          Weber SJG M Code 'Lil Traveller'
          Weber SJS AH Code 'Kermit'
          (Lime Green)
          Horizon 20" Classic, w/baffle/tuning plate (FREE)
          Good One Open Range, (FREE), Monthly Prize from AR giveaway!!!!

Thermometers:
          Ol' Skool Bi-metal probe pocket thermo, that has checked / served ~ 1,000,000 meals in my possession, easily...
          Maverick ET-732, (Black)
          Thermopops, (Red, Yellow, Green)
          ThermaPen Mk4 (Black), THANKS!!! to jgjeske1
          Blue ThermaPen Mk4
          Orange Thermapen Mk4
          Pink Thermapen Mk4
          ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S
          ThermoWorks Smoke
          ThermoWorks Open Box Smoke
          4 Pro Series cable extensions
          Smoke Gateway

Accessories:
          2 Slow 'N Sears, Slow 'N Sear XL, Grill 'N Griddle
          BBQ Vortex, 2 Hovergrills, Top Deck
          Warming shelf
          MyWeigh KD-8000Kitchen Scale
          Backyard Grill marinade injector
          Acoustic Guitars/Electric Guitars/Basses/1928 National Duolian/Harmonicas/Banjo Washboard, Spoons, kazoos, pocket comb with wax paper, egg shakers ;-)
          Bear Paws
          Meat Rakes
          BBQ Dragon/Chimley of Insanity, Dragon Wing Shelves (x2 ea.)

Cookware:
          Probably a ton of cast iron, mostly very old...still cookin'
          G'Ma's Piqua skillet, :-)( They went out of business in 1934~)
          '60's Revere Ware (Mom's), + others found elsewhere
          60's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (Mom's) Daily driver
          50's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (G'Ma's), for a backup! ;-)
          Carpy Wally World stock pots, in approx 2 gal/3gal sizes, blue speckledty-porcelain enameled
          Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch Oven

Cutlery, etc.:
          Shi*-ton of kitchen/chef knives, most sharper than my straight-razors are. (Better steel!) Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, various, including some nice German stuff ;-)
          Dexter 12" slicing knife, 6" Sani-Safe boning knife
          Smith's Tri-Hone Natural Arkansas Knife Sharpening System
          Multiple steels, from all over the planet
          Crock sticks
          Diamond stones, various
          Lansky Sharpening System

Tableware
          Daily driver:Washington Forge Mardi Gras, Navy / Cobalt Blue
          Dinner: Guests: Washington Forge, Town and Country
          Fancy / Formal: Family silverware

Fortunately, I already have a well-used an Loved 20" x 36 smoker, so I wanted to ask ya some questions, an share my 20x36 experiences with ya, both in hopes of helpin yer decision makin.

Reckon first, (Means #1 ) is, how many ya cookin for, presently??? On accounta it Will increase, when ya find yer groove, Brother

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the vote of confidence Mr. Bones! Right now, just cooking for the wife and our 4-year-old, but once life gets back to normal, I'm hoping to throw some dinner parties with friends. After that, I'm sure with everyone's help here, I'll get a line around the block for my brisket
      • mountainsmoker
        Banned Former Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Bryson City, NC

For example the Lonestar 24x32 is 850lbs and the 20x36 is 485. I don't know if you need the true Off Road Package, but I would go to the 8" wheels. Good luck on your decision!

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!
      • Alphonse
        Club Member
        • Oct 2019
        • LA (Lower Alabama - gulf coast)

I studied several brands including Lang, Shirley, and LSG. I ended up buying the LSG 20 series pit due to the superior workmanship,unique temperature performance, and the multipurpose firebox they have. It is a really versatile pit.

Here's a thread with a deep dive on the LSG 20 series and includes a lot of data on the temperature performance. Sorry that it is a long read but it may answer some of your questions.

BTW, I would recommend you buy the 20 x 42 vs. the 36. A small amount of cost for more real estate and the foot print isn't that much larger.

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just read your other thread Alphonse. Very detailed. Exactly the stuff I'm looking for. Thank you.
      • GroceryBoy
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017
        • Fort Lauderdale, FL

As the owner of the LSG 20x42 I can attest, the temps side to side are negligible. I have NEVER measured more then 10 degrees on cooks in the 225 - 250 range. You will get larger swings in higher temps. I have a large temp difference between the top and bottom shelf. It is consistently 25 degrees warmer on the lower, sometimes more. I was considering putting my FireBoard controller and fan on it but it holds so steady I don’t see the need. They are pricey but I did exactly as Alphonse said. For the $100 difference I went with the 42’ vs the 36’.

Also if you are going to move it around get the bigger wheels. Mine came in around 700 lbs and I don’t have the thicker firebox. It is NOT something you want to move around. BTW I wouldn’t trade it for anything! Awesome grill!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	627135A1-7D0B-4A77-8F51-E72A72ED3268.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	854117

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info. Yeah, now I'm thinking moving it in and out of the garage is a no-go. Now I just have to try to convince the wife to let me store it outside. GroceryBoy and Alphonse, you remember about how many test runs it took you using only wood to get temps steady for long cooks?

• Alphonse
          Alphonse commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoking77, I don't worry about steady temps cooking with wood. A stick burner with wood is going to bob up and down depending on the state of the stick(s) in it. When they begin to burn up, the temp drop and I add more wood. Charcoal briquettes is another animal.

I don't find steady temps a necessity with wood. Average temps, yes but steady no. It is easy to get average temps with portioning in seasoned wood and the proper intake air adjustments.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know Alphonse. Thanks for the info

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
      Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
      See more
      See less
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
      The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
      The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
      The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
      The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
      The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
      We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
      Stylish and Affordable
      Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
      Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
      A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
      Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
      GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
      The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
      This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
      A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
      FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
      Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
      Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order