Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSG 20X36 versus Lang 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSG 20X36 versus Lang 36

Hey everyone. I'm finally starting to do some serious research on stick burners and was looking at the LSGs and the Langs. Just have a few questions (with certainly more to come in the next few months) for people that have experience on these smokers.

1. Do both of these smokers hold basically even temps temps from one side of the cooker to the other? I hear the Yoder Loaded Wichita is great if you want to cook low and slow on one side and hotter on the other, but that's not something that I need.

2. I'm looking at the smallest cookers from both these brands. As far as taking up space, I would imagine the most I'd need to cook at one time is two separated packer briskets for small gatherings. Any reason to go to the next size up?

3. In a perfect world, I roll this thing into my garage after I'm done. Yes, I can cover it and keep it on my side driveway (protected inside our gate), but I'm hoping to keep it out of the way. Can both of these smokers easily be rolled a couple yards and up a very small step? Or would it be a hassle moving this thing in and out?

4. Any positives that the LSGs have over the Langs? And vice versa?

Thanks for the help!

Well Smoking77 Obviously as you can see from my avatar I have an LSG.
    Mine is their 24x36 barrel type.
    I can’t speak for the Lang’s. So I will tell you about mine.
    Question 1. No offset will hold even temps from side to side. But once you learn your cooker you can control it to an extent.
    The 20x36 that you’re looking at is a different beast than mine in many ways. kenrobin can give you a lot of info on that particular one.

Question 2. No. Separated You should be able to fit 3 in either.

Question 3 Both of the cookers you’re looking at are gonna be in excess of 500lbs. So moving them around is possible but not ideal. And with any incline or step you better have a friend to help. These puppies ain’t no Weber Kettles.

Question 4. Honestly I can’t say. As I said I don’t have a Lang. What I can say though is that When I was searching for my perfect smoker/cooker Lang was definitely in the running but the LSG just had more and better features for what I was looking for. And their craftsmanship is second to none.

Hope this helps.
    If you have any more questions please feel free to ask here or PM me.

SteveB.

Comment

I don’t have either smoker, but as Steve B says - there’s aren’t 100 pound Oklahoma Joe’s that you are talking about. Moving them if any incline is involved will not be a one man job. I would plan on a good spot for it to stay put, preferably near your wood pile.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Point from both of you well taken. Although, I did do 10 pushups a couple weeks ago, so I can probably handle it

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoking77 😂😂😂

Get the Lonestar with the off road kit for increased moveability.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
        Well Smoking77 Obviously as you can see from my avatar I have an LSG.
        Mine is their 24x36 barrel type.
        I can’t speak for the Lang’s. So I will tell you about mine.
        Question 1. No offset will hold even temps from side to side. But once you learn your cooker you can control it to an extent.
        The 20x36 that you’re looking at is a different beast than mine in many ways. kenrobin can give you a lot of info on that particular one.

Question 2. No. Separated You should be able to fit 3 in either.

Question 3 Both of the cookers you’re looking at are gonna be in excess of 500lbs. So moving them around is possible but not ideal. And with any incline or step you better have a friend to help. These puppies ain’t no Weber Kettles.

Question 4. Honestly I can’t say. As I said I don’t have a Lang. What I can say though is that When I was searching for my perfect smoker/cooker Lang was definitely in the running but the LSG just had more and better features for what I was looking for. And their craftsmanship is second to none.

Hope this helps.
        If you have any more questions please feel free to ask here or PM me.

SteveB.
        Steve B Thanks for the input. I do have more questions, so will PM you tomorrow. kenrobin Okay to message you, too? If not, no worries at all Thanks

Comment

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Feel free to PM any questions to me too.

Fortunately, I already have a well-used an Loved 20" x 36 smoker, so I wanted to ask ya some questions, an share my 20x36 experiences with ya, both in hopes of helpin yer decision makin.

Reckon first, (Means #1 ) is, how many ya cookin for, presently??? On accounta it Will increase, when ya find yer groove, Brother

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the vote of confidence Mr. Bones! Right now, just cooking for the wife and our 4-year-old, but once life gets back to normal, I'm hoping to throw some dinner parties with friends. After that, I'm sure with everyone's help here, I'll get a line around the block for my brisket

For example the Lonestar 24x32 is 850lbs and the 20x36 is 485. I don't know if you need the true Off Road Package, but I would go to the 8" wheels. Good luck on your decision!

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

I studied several brands including Lang, Shirley, and LSG. I ended up buying the LSG 20 series pit due to the superior workmanship,unique temperature performance, and the multipurpose firebox they have. It is a really versatile pit.

Here's a thread with a deep dive on the LSG 20 series and includes a lot of data on the temperature performance. Sorry that it is a long read but it may answer some of your questions.

BTW, I would recommend you buy the 20 x 42 vs. the 36. A small amount of cost for more real estate and the foot print isn't that much larger.

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just read your other thread Alphonse. Very detailed. Exactly the stuff I'm looking for. Thank you.

As the owner of the LSG 20x42 I can attest, the temps side to side are negligible. I have NEVER measured more then 10 degrees on cooks in the 225 - 250 range. You will get larger swings in higher temps. I have a large temp difference between the top and bottom shelf. It is consistently 25 degrees warmer on the lower, sometimes more. I was considering putting my FireBoard controller and fan on it but it holds so steady I don’t see the need. They are pricey but I did exactly as Alphonse said. For the $100 difference I went with the 42’ vs the 36’.

Also if you are going to move it around get the bigger wheels. Mine came in around 700 lbs and I don’t have the thicker firebox. It is NOT something you want to move around. BTW I wouldn’t trade it for anything! Awesome grill!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	627135A1-7D0B-4A77-8F51-E72A72ED3268.jpeg
Views:	1674
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	854117

Comment

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info. Yeah, now I'm thinking moving it in and out of the garage is a no-go. Now I just have to try to convince the wife to let me store it outside. GroceryBoy and Alphonse, you remember about how many test runs it took you using only wood to get temps steady for long cooks?

• Alphonse
          Alphonse commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoking77, I don't worry about steady temps cooking with wood. A stick burner with wood is going to bob up and down depending on the state of the stick(s) in it. When they begin to burn up, the temp drop and I add more wood. Charcoal briquettes is another animal.

I don't find steady temps a necessity with wood. Average temps, yes but steady no. It is easy to get average temps with portioning in seasoned wood and the proper intake air adjustments.

• Smoking77
          Smoking77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know Alphonse. Thanks for the info

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here