Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horizon RD Special Marshall Smoke Stack Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizon RD Special Marshall Smoke Stack Mod

Hello Guys, I have decided to make some mods to the Smoke Stack of my Horizon Smoker. I read Aron Franklin's smoking manifesto book and and loved the design he was using on the smoke stack of that smoker he was building. The book has some very nice pictures of the whole process. so I said lets give that a try whats the big deal its only steel. Any way I thought the design was a great idea because it seems like smoke will travel through the cooking chamber and get out more efficiently and probably help even the heat temp from side to side. Anyway here's what I did I am hoping to get this thing welded up tomorrow. I will post some more pics when the job is completed. I am also modding the vent handles on both the smoke stack and firebox. Oh I'm also extending the length of the stack hope this helps improve the draw. I Hope these changes don't jack things up. Tell me what you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3235.JPG
Views:	1838
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	91168 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3233.JPG
Views:	872
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	91169

Name:	IMG_3234.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	91170

I am completely unqualified to tell you whether or not this is going to jack anything up, but it looks amazing! Are you going to cut an opening in the side for it?

Comment

• Dilla
      Dilla commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Fuzz, yes the opening will be cut out and the new stack will be welded in place. I will post some pics soon.

Looks sweet. Love the shelf space also.

Going to definitely get that air flowing in.

Comment

• Dilla
      Dilla commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod, made the shelf myself. I actually ordered my pit with a stainless shelf direct from Horizon but it was so cheap and cheesy that I decided to make my own and also made it a bit larger. The stainless shelf they put on was about 1/16" if that and was attached to the sub frame they built with double sided tape what a joke. It was the worst thing I've ever seen especially when you drop $2K+ on a backyard pit. Anyway I am hoping to get an improvement in air flow which is the reasoning behind this mod. Cant wait to see how the pit is going to react once I fire it up and also what will happen to the temps across the cooking surface.

Just spent a bit of time with the guys at RecTec and went with a twelve pound wagyu brisket. Went to my butcher and he allowed me to score and season this beauty. Then it went into a cryovaci bag and rested in his walk-in for a week++. Finally on big red at 180 at midnite. 2 pm goosed the heat to 250. At 4:30 took off, double foil wrapped and then a towel until 7:30. Sliced the beauty and the only sound heard for the next 30 minutes was, 'pass the tray please.' Best I've ever done and thank you Ray Carnes

Comment

Whats up Guys, OK here's what I did this weekend. Check it out!

Name:	IMG_3262.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	91896
      Cutting the original stack off.

Name:	IMG_3264.JPG
Views:	745
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	91897

Name:	IMG_3275.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	91898
      Pre-fitting marking and leveling.

Name:	IMG_3279.JPG
Views:	745
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	91899
      Marked and time to cut.

Name:	IMG_3286.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	91900
      Made the cut out for the new stack.

Name:	IMG_3297.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	91901

Name:	IMG_3298.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	91902

Name:	IMG_3299.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	91903

Name:	IMG_3306.JPG
Views:	738
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	91904

Name:	IMG_3307.JPG
Views:	724
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	91905
      New smoke stack opening from inside the cooking chamber.

Name:	IMG_3315.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	91906
      Going to add new handle to the air flow vents.

Name:	IMG_3317.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	91907

Comment

Hello Guys here is the rest of the work I couldn't fit all the picture in one post it wouldn't let me.

Name:	IMG_3318.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	91909
        I added some brackets to store the upper cooking grate when not in use. As you know sometimes it gets in the way when you are cooking a large piece of meat on the primary grates.

Name:	IMG_3323.JPG
Views:	758
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	91910

Name:	IMG_3322.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	91911

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG
Views:	720
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	91912

Name:	IMG_3332.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	91913

Name:	IMG_3335.JPG
Views:	744
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	91914

Name:	IMG_3337.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	91915

Name:	IMG_3338.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	91916

Now all I need to do is some finish grinding, sanding, smoothing, and painting. The stack is made out of stainless so I am thinking about polishing it to a nice mirror finish or maybe just brushed not sure yet. Hope you all like it please send me your comments, thoughts or ideas. Thanks for looking.

Comment

• BackyardBob
          BackyardBob commented
          Editing a comment
          Love this post and pics! I so want to do this to my yoder!

I think Mr Franklin would be proud of your mod. I've been following his show on PBS. His smoke stacks are huge. Bet you can't wait to try it out !

Comment

• Dilla
          Dilla commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup can't wait, unfortunately I will not have the time to play with it as I am leaving for a week long fishing trip to Baja tomorrow and another little vacation after that. Thanks for your comments.

Next will be to figure out how to insulate the Fire Box any suggestions or ideas would be great?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee used R-19 insulation. He said it wasn't pretty, he just wrapped it around, but what a difference it made.

A 14" shelf should be standard on all offsets.

AWESOME job on the rest of that work!!!

I would also ditch the vents and just leave the door open to the firebox. Make sure you get a small HOT fire going.

Please share some pics of your fishing trip. Fishing & Q are what makes the world go round & round (and growing gardens).

Comment

Hello Gang I'm finished with my smoker, check it out I had the stack polished since it was stainless steel. I used it this weekend and it was a huge improvement over the original design. It draws much much better than before and temps pretty darn identical from side to side.

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	99346 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3604 (2).jpg
Views:	733
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	99347 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3636.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	99348

Comment

• BackyardBob
            BackyardBob commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazing!

Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!! B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!

Comment

Wow that looks amazing!

Comment

Looks like you have some of those glow in the dark Tel-Tru's.....

Comment

• Dilla
                Dilla commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes those Tel Tru's are sweet and they do glow in the dark. I only bought 2 of them because they are expensive at $60 each plus shipping. My cooker has 4 ports I didn't want to drop $240 without trying them first. I am convinced though so I will get the other 2 now.

That's pretty sweeet!!

Comment

• Dilla
                Dilla commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Ernest.

That is one awesome set up. You did a great job on the mods!

Comment

• Dilla
                Dilla commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Dr ROK.

• CurlingDog
                CurlingDog commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. that is one sweet setup! the only change i could recommend if you can swing it would be to modify (read: trick out) the firebox vent handle into a killer gear shift knob. just a thought. everything looks fantastic as is!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here