Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Farms Wagyu Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Farms Wagyu Black

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5759919-A025-4C4A-AC36-FBF8563D15CE.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1225039 So, a little teaser …. Will post more later. This is what the marbling in the flat of a SRF Wagyu Black brisket looks like

A snack?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I was cutting the corner, so I could remember which way the grain runs :-)

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Ended up with som salt and pepper on a cracker didn't it?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter oh hell yes

I just cooked one last weekend. Turned out grea!

Comment

Oh my...drool everywhere.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve never seen that kind of marbling in a brisket before

Looks like butter in between the meat, yummy!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve only ever seen NY strips and Ribeyes with that sort of marbling before

Just wow...

Comment

Looks delicious!

Is this the one you ordered here?

I was on SRF because they had a deal where you could buy 6 featured items and get $25 off. I was grabbing the Kurobuta pork chops, which are a good deal with that $25 off. But then More Meat Syndrome, which is a sub-category of MCS, kicked in. And I started looking at other deals. Like a Wagyu Black Grade brisket for $149. And

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s it right there. It’s been in my freezer since it arrived.

Okay … more teasing … pre and post trim … my classic aggressive trim on a brisket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C6D6250F-8CC9-4501-9246-AC2B4A741C53.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	1225191

Click image for larger version  Name:	F01D653B-D9FD-4B07-9FA6-CDB5D7BFBD52.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.77 MB ID:	1225192
        Last edited by ecowper; May 22, 2022, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like you separated the flat and point? Almost seems like the point is much larger than what I get from the Costco prime packers here in SoCal. Awesome looking cut of meat!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t separate them, but I did trim the fat there pretty aggressively

We get these and Mishima Reserve at HEB pretty regularly. They are awesome and cook up great. Make the best pastrami ever.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          pastrami ..... yum

You are gonna love this. Troutman is correct, it does make the best pastrami ever.

SRF Black makes amazing brisket though, there is nothing I like more. IMHO, it is the best on the market for consistency, flavor and richness. Not to mention taking all that trimmed fat, rendering it down and making tallow for cooking other things. Just an added bonus if you ask me.

Comment

I cooked my first ever Wagyu brisket. As I have been hinting with this post. I have always cooked choice and prime until now. Mostly prime. Late last year, while brisket prices were still crazy high, SRF was having a sale on Wagyu Black briskets, so I grabbed one. And finally brought it out of the freezer this week for a BBQ gathering with our neighbors. They brought all the sides, I cooked the brisket and a chicken (cause there is always at least one person that doesn't want brisket).

I prepped it like normal .... aggressively trim the fat, kosher salt, into the fridge for 24 hours before cooking. Cooking it on the SnS Kettle because I've committed to cooking exclusively on that for 12 months.

I fired up the kettle at 3 AM, had the brisket on by 4 AM. Used my own rub for it: EBR is based on pepper (naturally) and a few other things. Around 2 PM it was probing tender at internal temps of 185F .... holy cow! I was not expecting that until somewhere around 4 PM. Wrapped it and held it in the oven at 175F until dinner, which was at 6 PM.

This was a very good brisket without a doubt. Probably the best I've ever cooked. The flat was tender and moist without doing anything special to it. And the point/flat mid section was simply incredible.

That said, now that I can get prime for $3.99/lb again, I think I will only buy Wagyu brisket if there is a great sale and for a special occasion.

THis is the marbling in the flat. Amazing

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 5.png
Views:	305
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	1225317

Before trimming

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 1.png
Views:	208
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	1225322

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 2.png
Views:	219
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	1225318

After my normal, very aggressive trimming. I took 5 lbs of fat off that baby

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 3.png
Views:	213
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	1225321

It's 3:30 and that brisket is all ready to go on the smoker

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 4.png
Views:	215
Size:	699.5 KB
ID:	1225323

Getting the brisket on the kettle .... man, that's a big hunk of meat on a 22" kettle .... maybe I should have used the Hasty-Bake after all?

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 6.png
Views:	207
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	1225319

This is about noon, after 8 hours, internal temp is in the 170's.

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 7.png
Views:	211
Size:	657.2 KB
ID:	1225326

And here we go .... It's been wrapped and in the oven for 3 hours or so

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 8.png
Views:	213
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	1225320

Sliced ..... great smoke ring, juicy, nice bark, intense beef flavor

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 10.png
Views:	216
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	1225325

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 11.png
Views:	210
Size:	620.6 KB
ID:	1225324

Last but not least, remember that your Mercer slicer is wicked sharp

Name:	SRF-Brisket-May-22 - 9.png
Views:	214
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	1225327

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            You didn't charge extra for that added protein did you ??

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Outstanding! Glad your cut wasn't any worse! Haven't yet cut myself on my new-ish Mercer knives, knock wood...

Great post and pics! That it was smoked on a kettle/SnS is just a bonus to we fans of that setup.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I was impressed with the Kettle and this cook, for sure.

Sure looked great. I'd like to try to do more brisket, but The Wife isn't a fan, so every time I bring it up, she acts all, "Meh" and we end up with something else. <sigh>

I think it's just because my brisket has always sucked up to this point.

Comment

SNR is always my go to brisket. Never had an issue and everything comes in frozen. Every brisket has been delicious and earns raves.

BTW, black is excellent but gold is even better. Small but noticeable difference.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Honestly, their Prime Brisket is fantastic. I don’t know that there was enough difference here that I would do it again unless, like this time, the price was good enough to beat the Prime’s price.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here