Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Your Costco Still Have Prime Grade Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Your Costco Still Have Prime Grade Meat?

This past Friday I went to my usual Costco location to buy some steaks and shrimp. I was gonna pick up some Prime ribeyes and couldn’t find any. I asked one of the butchers where they were and he said they were out. Not just ribeyes but they were out of ALL Prime grade meat! Then he proceeded to tell me they’ve been out for over a month! When I asked why, he said they were having supply or supply chain issues….🤔 I’ve never had this happen at Costco before. Have any of you experienced this at your Costco?

Last time I was at Costco (about 4 weeks ago), they still had Prime beef.

Comment

They don't seem to have as MUCH as they used to. But they have some.

Comment

• mrichie1229
        mrichie1229 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed!

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same - very limited supply. They had one two-pack of tri-tips on display. It was not as marbled as the usual Prime. However, they did have the cryo pacs in the back, to my wife’s chagrin. I paid somewhere around $180 for the pack at $5.99 a pound v $9.99 a pound for the two-pack. These were the peeled roasts, so very little trimming was involved. (I should have asked, ‘why did you put an East Coast wrapper on the two-pack”)

The one I frequent had as much as ever last Friday? Had prime briskets for 3.99lb.

Comment

My local Costco (SoCal) has Prime beef. Just bought a Prime packer a few days ago. They had other cuts as well, but perhaps fewer than normal. We can usually find rib eyes, New Yorks, and tri-tip. May have only had New Yorks this week, but honestly, didn’t look closely since I wasn’t shopping for those.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! This is very surprising. I’m not out in the middle of nowhere or anything like that, geez, they’re out in Houston, Tx.?!? I might stop by another Costco later and check…and this time ask a few more questions.

As of this past Saturday they still had prime.

Comment

The Costco I shop at (Sarasota, FL) was out of prime briskets and some other meats for about two months at the end of last year. But on my last couple of visits, they've been fully stocked.

Comment

Ok, here’s the deal……

This was bugging me after seeing y’all’s answers, so I went to a different Costco and asked several questions, the butcher was very helpful, said he’d been there 8 years. Apparently this is a TEXAS issue. He said they haven’t carried any Prime Cuts in over a month also, just like the other store told me. The only exception was, they’re still carrying Prime Briskets, this store only had 3 of em though. He explained to me that Costco was having to pay too much for their Prime Grade cuts they were getting and decided to stop carrying them for now. Apparently Costco wasn’t happy with what they were having to charge their customers for Prime cuts, the exception is the briskets though. He said they’re still able to charge $3.99 per lb for those. I believe [don’t remember for sure] he told me that the last time they were selling Prime Ribeyes, they were having to charge $17.99 per lb. I asked him if this was true nationwide of not selling Prime, he said he wasn’t sure but he knew that all the Costcos in Texas have stopped selling Prime steaks and other cuts.

What was perplexing to us though was he said their meat supplier is in the Dallas area, not but 3 or 4 hours from Houston. So it’s not like they were having meat shipped in from Canada or somewhere. He also said he doesn’t know when the Texas stores will be selling Prime again, he hasn’t heard anything. My hope is that this is just temporary until meat prices start dropping. I’d be curious to hear from some Texas AR members to see if they’re seeing this also.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              our Sams rarely has prime anymore, there's some steaks and maybe some ground beef but the briskets and tenderloins have been MIA for about a year EVEN around Thanksgiving and Christmas! To be fair I live in BFE and the large expensive cuts are likely not as profitable as cutting into steaks is so the very few they get don't end up going out whole

• Clawbear57
              Clawbear57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pan head John they lied to you. Your reputation is preceding you🐂🐂🐂.

• Livermoron
              Livermoron commented
              Editing a comment
              Makes sense...could be a Texican thing. My local Costco still has Prime ribeye and a few other things. Rotisserie chicken on the other hand, has been hit or miss lately...

I have not seen Prime anything or as much. Certainly not brisky, for several weeks. Just broke down and picked up a choice full packer from Krogers w/card for $2.99. Could always make burgers.

Comment

• Clawbear57
              Clawbear57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wish had prices like that around here.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              My briskets for the past several years are bought when Kroger has them for $1.99 or $2.99 on sale. I freeze them, and have toyed with grinding one into burger some time, but haven't done it yet.

Not sure. It’s been a few months since I’ve bought meat at Costco, and prime usually isn’t in my budget anyway so I don’t really pay close attention

Comment

Now, I've never been to Texas, but seems like I read somewhere about how the dairy cows down there got crossed with billy goats, er, maybe it was armadillos, to make the Texas Longhorn cattle. The horns are getting longer because of global warming, and that drives up the price of beef in Texas. Less brisket. More horns. Up here the cattle don't have any horns. Thus the cheaper prices. Ask the Costco butcher about the possibility of prime rattle snake. Yer guests will hardly notice. :-)

Always here to help Panhead John .

Brian

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Makes sense to me…thanks Brian! 😂

• Alan Brice
                Alan Brice commented
                Editing a comment
                Started readin this post n in the back of my mind heard ( Well I've never been to England, but I kinda like the music...)

• Livermoron
                Livermoron commented
                Editing a comment
                Huh. Science (maybe). Makes as much sense as anything else, and you can't have a proper Texas story without an armadillo in there somewhere...

We have a great supply of prime.

Comment

When we were discussing Costco's use of tenderizing on this forum a year or two ago I reached out to Costco and their vp of meat operations was only too happy to answer questions and even invite me to one of their stores to get a first hand view. You might try reaching out to him: [email protected] Doug Holbrook, VP Meat Operations. Here in the San Diego area, there seems to be the usual cuts of prime steaks and briskets.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks BBQPhil I remember your post very well. I would like to do that. I want to make sure I don’t put any misinformation out there and would like to hear it directly from a person in his position. Appreciate it!

• Alan Brice
                  Alan Brice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Curious what the west coast is ponying up for brisky n wings, amongst other groceries.

I haven’t been to my local Costco in several weeks but the last time I was there we had prime beef and not just brisket.

Comment

My Costco had prime brisket for the first I’ve in some while. But I didn’t see prime tri tip..so limited, but at least the brisket was in stock.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here