Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

SPOTLIGHT

Some Of Our Favorite
Tools And Toys

These are not ads. These are products we love and highly recommend. Click here to read more about our medals and what they mean.

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only 9 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Swiss Army Knife Of Thermometers

Placeholder

The smart folks at ThermoWorks have finally done it: The Swiss Army Knife of thermometers, two in one. Start with the industry standard food thermometer, the Thermapen MK4, (Platinum Medal winner) truly instant (2 to 3 seconds) precise (+ or – 0.7°F). Then they built in an infrared thermometer ideal for measuring the temps of pizza stones, griddles, and frying pans (also great for finding leaks around doors and windows in your house).

Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

I'm Huskee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top | #1

I'm Huskee

Moderator 2013 - present
    Pitmaster Club Manager, February 2017 - present

Welcome to the Pit! I'm Aaron, I go by Huskee around these parts.

Location where I BBQ
    I grew up in central Michigan in a small town, and I will be a MI resident until the end. We have glorious summers here and a zillion miles of beaches on the coasts of both peninsulas. We also get some killer winters but I don't let that stop me. It just changes the amount of clothing I wear while standing at the smoker.

BBQ Here at AmazingRibs.com
    I've been a team member here at AR since spring of 2013 when Meathead asked if I'd join the team. I'm obviously a BBQ enthusiast much like the rest of you. I love cooking outside, done it since I was a kid, and my desire to cook inside has waned some since Smoke > No Smoke in my opinion, at least with many things.

Recently in February of 2017 I was asked to take over as Manager of our Pitmaster Club when Dave Parrish stepped down to focus his energies on his BBQ business (see next paragraph). My day to day duties are to keep many of the behind the scenes gears well-oiled and turning, but thankfully our IT dept does all the really hard stuff so a shout out to them! I help with membership snafus & account-related changes, our monthly drawing, and general oversight of the structure and organization of The Pit, as well as oversee our wonderful team of talented moderators.

I've also been privileged to be a part of Adrenaline Barbecue Company (www.ABCbarbecue.com) since the Slow 'N Sear was simply an idea in a couple guys' heads. Currently I am focusing my energies and time at AmazingRibs.com and here in The Pit.

BBQ upbringing and early days
    My dad grilled everything when I was a kid. I still remember helping him put together that old Sears Kenmore gas grill with the lava rocks, I'm guessing it was 1988-ish. I can't tell you how many burners he's put in that thing over the decades, or when he switched the many loads of lava rock finally to ceramic rocks. But he's taken great care of it and it's nearly 30yrs old! Eleventy-million or so burgers and chicken legs later here I am with a zeal for cooking with some sort of fire. After a break of a couple years, when pizza, Taco Bell and spaghetti was my "bachelor cuisine" of choice, I got a renewed interest in grilling.

I've been an avid smoker/pitmaster-wannabe since about 2006 when I had a disaster with a rack of ribs and searched Google for the right time & temp cook them. You know- read directions later, that whole mentality. Guess what result popped up? AmazingRibs.com, in what turned out to be its infant year. I worked on developing my own rub loosely based off some high points from other online "Googled" recipes I found that year, tailoring it to what I liked best of each. The next year I did the same with my own BBQ sauce recipe. Both are really easy to do, inexpensive and use pretty regular stuff, they're in the corresponding channels here in The Pit if you're interested. These also were created before I discovered Meathead's Memphis Dust and his KC BBQ Sauce recipe. Way different flavors too. Thank goodness, since surely no one woulda believed me if they were close to the same!

BBQ Nowadays
    I'm a Kansas City Barbecue Society Certified Barbecue Judge (CBJ). I run an EOS and I prefer all log cooks for the romance of it all. Heck I'd distill my own whiskey if the law man would let me! (But he doesn't so I doesn't, promise).

I operate a Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker. I also run a Weber 22" kettle and a 26" kettle, both the Original Premium as they're now called. The 22" contains a Slow 'N Sear, an original prototype model. The 26" kettle contains the newer Slow 'N Sear XL. Both are seriously the best thing to happen to a kettle grill since charcoal itself. I also have an 18" Weber Jumbo Joe and the 14" Smokey Joe. The gas grill recently got given away and the old Brinkmann cabinet style charcoal smoker has been re-purposed to be my log pre-burner for long all-log cooks.

Other things that help support BBQ in my house
    My "day" job is working full time in a hospital as a licensed, certified and registered respiratory therapist (RRT), on night shift. I am certified in BLS, ACLS, and NRP. Some nights I have time to spend here in The Pit, some nights I don't. I'm the guy that does your EKG, pokes your wrist for blood (ABG), gives you your nebulizer, puts that big bulky mask on you (and corrects you to say CPAP instead of C-pack), and when all else fails helps intubate you and runs your ventilator. I love my job, but it has its challenges and bad days as literally any job would (except the Samuel Adams beer taster guy/girl).

Rule:
    Have fun here and be nice, we're all friends!
    Last edited by Huskee; September 26th, 2015, 12:02 AM.

• Top | #2
    You can follow me on Instagram now, if that's your thing. User: huskeesbarbecue

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Jerod. You need to catch up man!! Jerod Broussard
      Last edited by Spinaker; March 9th, 2016, 01:03 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I never Myspaced, Tweeted, or Facebooked, so I figured this was something that I wasn't missing anyway. Spinaker

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha, you're the man. I like your style Dude. Jerod Broussard

• Top | #3
    I cant find ya.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 9th, 2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure you choose "people" when you hit the search icon, that threw me off.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great point bbqoaf, I've made that mistake myself

• Top | #4
    Jon Solberg Here is my instagram name. Jrbowlsby. Look me up!! Its private but just request and I will add you.
    Huskee ​
    Last edited by Spinaker; March 9th, 2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Added you

• Top | #5
    Hi Huskee, I am Donnie Morlan from Coralville Iowa. I have been a Treager pellet guy for a couple of years and now also own a new copper colored kettle. I anticipate ordering the Slow N Sear just based on what I have read. I may hit you up for advise as I get into the kettle thing. My day job is a nurse in quality management, funny I left the night shift to come to this job. I am looking forward to exploring this club.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to The Pit Donnie! Yeah your kettle will love the SnS. Can you gives us an intro like this in the Introduce Yourself channel? That way whomever browses there can meet all of our new members. Thanks!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the Pit!! Go Hawks!! I am guessing your at the UI Hospital? Donnieonfire

• Donnieonfire
      Donnieonfire commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I just got back here Spinaker, I actually work at the VA. I am proud to say I have been there 25 years and retired military myself.

• Top | #6
    Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
    I cant find ya.
    Weird. I'm there. Maybe it takes some time for it to come up in search? I dunno.

Comment

• Top | #7
      Nice, I just followed both of you, I'm j.d._lewis on IG.

Comment

• Top | #8
        Originally posted by bbqoaf View Post
        Nice, I just followed both of you, I'm j.d._lewis on IG.
        You're going to kill me with all your amazing pictures on my IG!

Comment

• Top | #9
          Its funny I got Spin but still not you. I'll try from my phone.
          IG does make everything look like a stock photo right

edit: got it. Had to sign in with IG Chrome and follow. Shows up now on desktop
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 10th, 2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Top | #10
            Hi. I'm Mike. I've always wanted to learn how to grill but I just never took the time to do it. I just put in a new backyard and included a Memphis Pro Smoker and a nice gas grill. So I figured now is the time to learn. I'm a retired firefighter here on the west coast and look forward to learning as much as I can.

Comment

• Top | #11
              Originally posted by BGFish56 View Post
              Hi. I'm Mike. I've always wanted to learn how to grill but I just never took the time to do it. I just put in a new backyard and included a Memphis Pro Smoker and a nice gas grill. So I figured now is the time to learn. I'm a retired firefighter here on the west coast and look forward to learning as much as I can.
              Hi Mike! Welcome to The Pit! Would you mind re-posting this in our Introduce Yourself channel (where you are now) but as its own post? To do that go here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa then click the red button on the top that says "+ New Topic". (See pic below)

That way your intro shows up as its own topic in that channel. If you need any more help, just holler!

Click image for larger version

Name:	newpost.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	158295

Comment

Working...
              X