Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introductions and a question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introductions and a question!

I know introductions are in order, but am really keen to ask a question.

Been in the KC most of my life so I feel like BBQ is my church. I've grilled for many years, bought Meathead's book, bought the good thermometers, got an account here, now everyone comes over and I don't have any leftovers, etc. Haha!

I feel like it's periphery to this site, but I'm wanting to add appetizers. They're almost always fried. I'm not frying that in the house--I've seen that commercial in Kentucky Fried Movie. [Can/Should I link to that video, lol?]

I think that gas is really the only option. I've got some cast iron skillets and actually bought the FireBoard sous-vide thermo so I can make sure the oil temp is perfect. I'm sure it will work. I think.

Maybe I should ask outside of this introductory forum?? Let me know, please.

I think I want a cheap/cheaper gas grill for this. Not a tailgate one, but just above that. Cost isn't the focus, but effectiveness. I've got all the charcoal and stick grills/smokers that I need for everything else. But...I wonder if maybe there's other things I can do with a gas grill, and things I haven't foreseen? I saw a small 2 burner Char-Broil gas grill at Lowe's, and thought size-wise it was perfect. It would be great for cooking up oil for frying in something cast iron. But in my inexperience I could miss something.

So on that Char-Broil gas grill, the lid for the grill does nothing for me, except maybe block some wind. There's a secondary, elevated wire shelf attached to the lid, don't need it, but maybe there's some awesomeness I don't know about? Should I look at some of the simple LP burners? (The ones that don't fall over and spread Greek fire to the neighbors' yards). I just overflow with data and ideas--I have to defer to the experience of others.

-J

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

I’m not sure Im able to answer that. Huntington Beach welcomes you and whatever cooker you decide on.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia! For gas, I recommend Weber. It has just served me well for many years. If you just want for frying why not look at a Camp Chef portable stove, their burners get plenty hot and you can use for multiple purposes.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! In my experience of deep frying, you get much faster recovery temp with the skillet of Dutch oven on a burner where the flame is directly on the bottom of the vessel. As David Norcross suggests above a portable stove with decent control knobs works well. A turkey fryer type single burner on a stand works, but flame is controlled by a needle valve and hard to be very precise, which makes temperature control difficult.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I lean toward the portable stove too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I can’t help you with the fried stuff, but poppers and wings are great appetizers on the grill or smoker.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Hello from Milwaukie/Portland OR.

Comment

The answers to your questions is YES

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts. I have a Weber Spirit at my cottage. It gets really hot, around 500. Perfect size for what you want to do. In addition, I smoked some St Louis ribs yesterday using a smoke tube with apple pellets and it came out surprisingly good for smoke flavor. So it can be a backup for capacity.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Sorry, we don't fry either.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

I'm not sure if you have one or want one but Blackstone makes a griddle / deep fryer combo and Camp Chef makes a griddle / burner combo.

This would solve your fryer problem and also give you a griddle to cook with outside for things like smash burgers, stir fry, eggs and bacon and home fries.

I use my outdoor griddle a couple times a week for cooking on. It was a great addition to my outdoor cooking arsenal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                              Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
                              Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
                              Click here for our review of this superb smoker