Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introductions and a question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introductions and a question!

I know introductions are in order, but am really keen to ask a question.

Been in the KC most of my life so I feel like BBQ is my church. I've grilled for many years, bought Meathead's book, bought the good thermometers, got an account here, now everyone comes over and I don't have any leftovers, etc. Haha!

I feel like it's periphery to this site, but I'm wanting to add appetizers. They're almost always fried. I'm not frying that in the house--I've seen that commercial in Kentucky Fried Movie. [Can/Should I link to that video, lol?]

I think that gas is really the only option. I've got some cast iron skillets and actually bought the FireBoard sous-vide thermo so I can make sure the oil temp is perfect. I'm sure it will work. I think.

Maybe I should ask outside of this introductory forum?? Let me know, please.

I think I want a cheap/cheaper gas grill for this. Not a tailgate one, but just above that. Cost isn't the focus, but effectiveness. I've got all the charcoal and stick grills/smokers that I need for everything else. But...I wonder if maybe there's other things I can do with a gas grill, and things I haven't foreseen? I saw a small 2 burner Char-Broil gas grill at Lowe's, and thought size-wise it was perfect. It would be great for cooking up oil for frying in something cast iron. But in my inexperience I could miss something.

So on that Char-Broil gas grill, the lid for the grill does nothing for me, except maybe block some wind. There's a secondary, elevated wire shelf attached to the lid, don't need it, but maybe there's some awesomeness I don't know about? Should I look at some of the simple LP burners? (The ones that don't fall over and spread Greek fire to the neighbors' yards). I just overflow with data and ideas--I have to defer to the experience of others.

-J

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

I’m not sure Im able to answer that. Huntington Beach welcomes you and whatever cooker you decide on.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia! For gas, I recommend Weber. It has just served me well for many years. If you just want for frying why not look at a Camp Chef portable stove, their burners get plenty hot and you can use for multiple purposes.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois! In my experience of deep frying, you get much faster recovery temp with the skillet of Dutch oven on a burner where the flame is directly on the bottom of the vessel. As David Norcross suggests above a portable stove with decent control knobs works well. A turkey fryer type single burner on a stand works, but flame is controlled by a needle valve and hard to be very precise, which makes temperature control difficult.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I lean toward the portable stove too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas! I can’t help you with the fried stuff, but poppers and wings are great appetizers on the grill or smoker.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Hello from Milwaukie/Portland OR.

Comment

The answers to your questions is YES

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts. I have a Weber Spirit at my cottage. It gets really hot, around 500. Perfect size for what you want to do. In addition, I smoked some St Louis ribs yesterday using a smoke tube with apple pellets and it came out surprisingly good for smoke flavor. So it can be a backup for capacity.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Sorry, we don't fry either.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

I'm not sure if you have one or want one but Blackstone makes a griddle / deep fryer combo and Camp Chef makes a griddle / burner combo.

This would solve your fryer problem and also give you a griddle to cook with outside for things like smash burgers, stir fry, eggs and bacon and home fries.

I use my outdoor griddle a couple times a week for cooking on. It was a great addition to my outdoor cooking arsenal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here