Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here with a brand new pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here with a brand new pellet grill

Hey Guys!

I've been a long-time fan of the website and to be honest, my brother signed me up for the forum. After clicking around, I should've signed up forever ago.

I recently won a Traeger Tailgater 20 at a Ducks Unlimited event and it just arrived! I still need to assemble it and fire it up. I haven't smoked much meat and usually do my steaks sous vide.

Any suggestions for a total newbie? What should I try first?

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome. It’s got to be ribs!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I suggest you start with either a pork butt or a chuck roast. They are cooked the same way and both are very forgiving. Recipes for both are on the free side. With either one you should dry brine over night if possible using 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb of meat.
        Last edited by RonB; June 4, 2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. I always suggest a pork butt as a first cook. Easy to cook but takes long enough so you get to know your cooker well. I like to cook them at 275.

Comment

Pork butt is a great first cook

Just be sure to practice those ribs before your brother visits.

Comment

• Duckman_OK
              Duckman_OK commented
              Editing a comment
              You know.... That Tailgater is made to be portable. Maybe we could play with it at Momma's house...

Welcome from Colorado ... and I’d suggest pork ribs (specifically "Last Meal Ribs" from the free side of AmazingRibs.com).

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. I'm going to jump on the butt wagon. Easy and forgiving.

Comment

Thanks Guys!!! Sounds like I'm gonna start with a Pork Butt!

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin. Glad you could join us!

I'm going to suggest steaks for your first cook. Smoke them at 225-250 until they are 10 degrees under whatever your desired finish temp is, and then sear them off just like you would after the water bath. The one thing to be careful of is that you want your steaks to be at least 1 1/2 inches thick for this. This article explains the process pretty well. https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-cook-low-slow

I too used to exclusively sous vide my steaks, but ever since I gave the reverse sear a try, the water bath only gets used if I have more steak to do than will fit on my smoker. My S.O. likes them so much that it is the one thing I make that I am forbidden to tinker with.

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

• holehogg
                      holehogg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad you enjoyed your visit. At the moment looks like the local hunters are trying to get things opened up for them but nothing yet.
                      If you don't have a biltong box I'll give you a simple effective designed one and we start there.

• Sweaty Paul
                      Sweaty Paul commented
                      Editing a comment
                      holehogg what is a "biltbong" box? I’m getting the MCS tingle

• holehogg
                      holehogg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sweaty Paul check this thread out it's just a dehydrator Beef Chili Sticks https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...f-chili-sticks
                      Last edited by holehogg; June 6, 2020, 12:53 AM.

welcome to the club! my recommendation will be a bit different, i recommend Anything but brisket! too much time and things going on for a first cook.

i did baby backs as i wanted something relatively quick!

good luck, ive had so much fun with my smoker and this site!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I'd suggest pork butt also for a first cook.

Comment

Cook a butt and then go to Harbor Freight and buy a cart so it won't be such a pain in the arse to move around. Welcome, and enjoy! (There are cheaper ones than the one pictured)
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Duckman_OK
                          Duckman_OK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's a really good idea. I planned on getting bigger casters/wheels to put on it, but may just grab one of those instead.

welcome from south Texas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here